Manvir's 84P Build/Resto - Page 27

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend View Post
    Your problem is google photos doesn't allow direct image linking. Might want to maintain your photobucket account.
    I have Imgur AND Photobucket. Photobucket works on Edge and Imgur works on Opera and Microsoft Edge. I have Google as a back up browser as well. Monster hard drive with lots of space.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member Manvir Brar's Avatar
    Hey guys, little update. I had was at my dads shop a couple days during the winter break and was messing a bit with the car. Took some metal left over from my first year design project, (same stuff I used for the upper guage pod thing) and finally got around to making a little guage panel to hold those floating guages in my coil tray area.

The whole setup now looks like this,

You might notice some yellow around the edges, its the 3M glue I used (rubber to metal), ill probably pull it out again and paint the metal part black later. There's also holes for an extra gauge, I have a voltmeter kicking around somewhere, aswell as a couple more switches for whatever I decide to switch up later on.

After that, I finally hooked up the oil pressure guage's vacuum line to my oil T, that was a massive pain since I had put the little adapter on the vacuum line waaaay back. Every time id try threading it in, it would unthread itself out, and i had to lay down in the most awkward way with only one hand that eventually got wet with oil and made it 10x harder...

Very frustrating process mostly because I'm a dumbass, eventually removed one of the IC pipes which made life alot easier, but then puting the pipe back in became a pain in the ass too. Anyways, thought I was making my life easier in august by putting the adapter on and having it ready for when i finally installed it. I wasn't.

Good news, I have/had oil pressure this whole time,

This picture is interesting,

If one looked carefully, you may notice my air filter is black. No, I did not swap the old red one out for a black one. After driving it for a while, I noticed the air filter going more and more black, as well as oil around the trumpet of the BOV and when i opened the IC pipe, oil inside there. Pop the filter off and,

That explains it. You can kinda see how the charge piping coupling below is a bit wet too.

I did buy the turbo used, so I don't know if I blew the seals or they were already blown, hoping to get it rebuilt this year. I don't really know anything about turbos but it didnt seem to have radial shaft play, I dont remember checking for axial. Hopefully it can be fixed and it isn't toast.

Side note: Had this car back again for the winter,

Slid into a sidewalk and bent the control arm, when I was replacing it I noticed this sticker,

Finding little things like that is always kinda cool.

Ever since I switched back to factory ignition, the car hates life, dies on idle and revs but doesnt want to. It idles fine for the first 30ish seconds, I think until the O2 sensor kicks in. It's tripping me out because I've triple checked all the ignition setting so they should be good, and the only thing i've changed was the ignition system since when it was running good. Plans for this year probably mostly involve dealing with the oily turbo situation, the rich afrs, the ignition and lots of cleaning up the mess i made in the rush of getting it to work last year. Also planning on buying a cheap 2 guage pod to replace the sheet aluminum I one I made last year, it was cool but its sharp and double sided taped to the dashboard, probably not super safe. Have a few different ideas for whats wrong with everything else but wont have anytime to experiment for a while. I wish I had more time to work on this thing, I miss highschool <-- thats a sad face, I'm not sure why its a happy face. (apologies for bad grammar, procrastinating studying for a final that was deferred till sunday bcuz snow so im in a rush but i also dont want to study)
    - Manvir Brar

Smoke tires, not drugs.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Sucking a lot of oil can upset the A/F ratio.

It's good to see you post again. Happy New Year!

- Jim
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Richness and poor mileage could be related to fuel-pressure. With warmed up engine:

1. Measure intake-manifold vacuum
    2. Measure vacuum at FPR, use a vacuum-T so you can have everything plugged in
    3. Measure fuel-pressure in rail with vacuum hose connected.
    4. Measure fuel-pressure in rail with vacuum hose disconnected

Somewhat update, it's currently reading break so I've had some time to go work on the car again. I kinda have the mentality of REDO this year so I'm going through all the half finished things I did last year and basically cleaning up the mess I made in the rush to get it going. I reset the tune to the base settings, double checked all the settings and changed what I needed to. After that it started, idled and revved just fine so thats a relief. I installed the IAT into the intake tubing and rerouted the fuel pump wire to be hidden under the carpet/other interior pieces on the way to the back. After that I started getting ready to remove the turbo by taking a bunch of IC piping off,

freaking gross

since the intake piping was out of the way, my dad told me to just check the spark plugs and

also gross, just another sign (even though we all already knew) its been running super rich. Cleaned them up and tossed them back in for now. I'll get new ones for when the car is going to be on the road

on saturday ill be working on it again, going to check the fuel pressure (thanks for the tips dannoxyz), investigate the regulator and install some used seimens 550cc injectors i picked up a couple days ago (while thats happening ill try to clean up more of the wiring harness back there and potentially block off all the EGR crap aswell). I've got a turbo reseal kit ready for when the holset comes off and I think I'm going to redo the hot side of the charge piping and oil return lines on the turbo. i used 3in piping but honestly it takes up so much room under there, so I'm going to downsize it as much as possible

Since I have alot more time this year, I think I'll be able to make this car back into a car and not a time bomb. Hopefully have some dyno sheets and track times to show for it by the end of the summer too! All the hard work was done last year pretty much, so just tying up loose ends now.

Dual weilding headlights for tool holding purposes, since you guys seemed to enjoy seeing that earlier haha

After taking the IC pipes out, the car seemed to idle alot better. I feel like the turbo was just loading the car down at idle before.
    in anycase I'll try having some updates later this weekend or whenever I have time. Schools really busy but sometimes I can sneak away from my responsibilities on a saturday night. I realize now that normal people would probably go party on a saturday night. Eh, this is more fun

And lastly, listen to that motor sing

Thanks to you guys still reading and commenting, I appreciate the help and it motivates/ gets me excited to get this car back to 100% ( or atleast 90%, id be happy with that)

(and if anyone is curious my dad did get his 928 running but is 90% one headgasket is blown so the engine is going to be pulled, he also might buy another one... I think he has a problem)
    - Manvir Brar

Smoke tires, not drugs.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

We need more 928 pics too man. Keep em comin :P

I just finished reading the entire thread. Thanks for posting it. I am impressed by you dedication to the supra. I have had mine since 1999 when i bought it at about the same age you acquired yours.

Sounds like there will be a lot of work ahead for my 5mgte but by learning from those who have already been down this road I hope I can make it easier on myself.

I am expecting to be putting a hoist in my garage in April and am looking to turbo my supra for my first project.

If you have time could you let us know if you if the microsquirt was the way to go or if another controller would have been better? I haven't purchased anything yet as i'm still trying to get a plan together, but as previously mention I was thinking of getting a turbo kit from ebay, and by the sounds of go with a t4 7mgte manifold. I was thinking of microsquirt because of fljum's the excellent write up on it, but would like to consider other options aswell. Any suggestions on what parts to get would be much appreciated.

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraMoto's Avatar
    I know what its like to be so busy with school, its brutal. So its good you can find a bit of free time for the the Supra, and get it running right.

It sounds great in the video !
    '83 Black P-Type

My threads:
    -- Hidden Content
    -- Hidden Content

Haha, thanks guys! School starts again monday so this will likely be the last update for another bit.

Some more 928, the car is really dirty so I haven't been bothered to get my nice camera out and take pictures yet

to answer your questions supra-man77, as far as engine management goes I really like the microsquirt system. It's really basic and easy to wrap your head around and its also super cheap which makes it good for a first ecu tuning platform. That being said I haven't even gotten to the tuning stage yet, but hopefully soon. My cousin used a piggyback GReddy system on his lexus but it throws codes and does wierd things every now and then. This is why I think having a standalone system is nice since you added all the sensors and whatnot yourself, especially since the 5M is such a simple engine (no vtec or other weird crap to deal with).

For ebay turbo kits I have the 7mgte T4 tubular header from CXRacing's website, but I'm using a holset turbo that I think has a t3? flange. It required an adaptor which has been a huge pain in the ass to use. My cousins lexus is running a CX racing turbo and its been going for a few months, you'd probably save alot of headache using the turbo, exhaust manifold and wastegate from one manufacture (and brand new aswell if you can afford it, leaky used holset turbo = bad). Watch out with tubular manifolds, mine dropped the wastegate into a really awkward place and I had to grind it down to fit it.

Another thing is, when I rebuilt the engine, I used a 7mge bottom end. Supposedly the 7mge rods are slightly thicker than 5mge rods so I'm a bit more liberal with boost. I'm going to install a boost controller (picked one up last year) and probably run 13lbs and see if it blows up. Different threads say different things about 5mge max boost so you might want to research that.

Besides that stuff i pretty much followed flyjums guide exactly, my other recomendation would be to not use the 750cc's we did unless you want to run E85. They're cheap and overkill and don't have good idle characteristics. Every part I used is probably mentioned in here somewhere, if I haven't mentioned it again it probably hasnt given me issues, haha.

Onto the update

somewhat random but i just found this laying around

kinda neat lol

I came with the intent to change the injectors, so off came the intake manifold and out came the old injectors

while that was out my dad whipped up probably the ugliest block off plate in the history of block off plates but if it works it works and noone looks back there anyways. We used this block off plate (and a gasket and muffler cement), then I chopped the threaded part of the EGR thingy off

and we shoved a metal ball that was the right size to seal the flared end on the egr pipe thingy into what was chopped off up there^^

The egr was already blocked off the whole time by a gasket that didnt actually have a hole in it for the gas, but now its actually gone and out of the way for the most part. It was way easier putting the intake manifold back on this time omg.

so i've made a side hobby of collecting injectors 750cc(top) stock(middle) 55lb/hr ([570cc-ish] bottom)

Notes for this, the guy i bought them from said the 55lb/hr were siemens injectors and then when i got them i was told by my turbo guru they are not siemens injectors. Whatever they are, they are slightly shorter than stock but that shouldn't be an issue. I didn't trust the blue o-ring to seal so I planned on installing them like this (top),

I say planned because I ended up putting the 750s back in.

Basically the 55lb/hr are 2ohm impedence injectors, from what i've read that means they are likely peak and hold injectors? Apparently to run them all I need to do is put a 10hm resister right before each injector(in series). However since they could possibly be peak and hold, will they work with a constant current supply from the ecu or do I need something extra to control them? If any injector wizards could comment on that I'd really appreciate it, in the meantime I'll keep reading about it.

random pic of our old cars

One major thing I realized while messing with the fuel injectors is that the vacuum line that goes from the FPR to manifold pressure was just chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool not plugged into anything. Which apparently means that even at idle the pump is basically providing maximum pressure meaning I definitely had too high fuel pressure. So I slapped that line into the network of manifold vacuum pressure lines and put everything back together with the EGR block off and 750s back in place.

Me dealing with my h̶o̶e̶s̶ hose

So the net gain of all this was basically just plugging in a vacuum line. Solid use of like eight hours...

Jokes aside, the car idles WAY better now. We let it warm up a bit and it wasn't constantly blasting black smoke out of the side pipe. AFR's went up to mid twelves as the car was warming up, and proabably would've continued to raise, a huge improvement since I think I used to idle in the low 11's... I ran out of time to test fuel pressure and see what the car would idle at properly warm but I'll definitely try to check next time

So smaller injectors, maybe an adjustable FPR and some tuning later I should be able to have a proper idle and drive to richmond and back more than once on a single tank.
    Last edited by Manvir Brar; 02-26-2017 at 01:04 AM.
    - Manvir Brar

Smoke tires, not drugs.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

bonus post, everytime my dad drives my car it scares the shit out of me

- Manvir Brar

Smoke tires, not drugs.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thread Information