P-type and L-type; differences in years

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

P-type and L-type; differences in years

USDM 2nd generation Supras:

*1982: 145hp 150ft/lbs. 8.8:1 compression, vaccuum advanced distributor, glass antenna, door lock located in center console, key lock gas filler door, black hatch and bumper, 85mph speedometer, 3.72 standard gearing, upper wing was an option, tail lights had reverse light in the center, the early 1982 models had only "SUPRA" on the nose badge and b-pillar covers, door handles open by pulling sideways

*1983: 150hp 159ft/lbs., electronic advanced distributor, switched to power antenna, had "Celica Supra" on nose badge and B-pillar, the 5 speeds had 4.10 gears, 1st year the cars had mudflaps

*1984: automatics= kept the 1983 engine
    5 speeds= got the 9.2:1 compression ratio, D-shaped intake runners, 160hp 163 ft/lb engine
    1st year the mkII had wrap around turn signals and a new style steering wheel, also got a bump in a 130mph speedometer, got the billboard "SUPRA" sticker on the hatch, the hatch and bumper received same color treatment (no more black), all 5 speeds received the 4.30 gears all automatics got 4.10 gears, received an internal fuel pump, the door lock switch was moved to the drivers side door, the tail lights also changed to having the reverse light closer to the liscense plate, door handles open by pulling up, the automatic climate control display changed style

*1985: all the mkIIs had the new 161hp 169 ft/lb engine and recieved a new double spoiler (except the L-types which never got wings/spoilers), also got heated mirrors that activate with the rear defroster, also received a different style TPS and EGR system, a factory alarm and a knock sensor, the door handles had a green-lighted keyhole that was continued to 1986

*1986: 3rd brake light added to meet regulations, AM Stereo, smaller ignition key = hard to find

P-(Performance) type and L-(Luxury) type differences:
    the leather interior was not available on P-types until 1983, the L-types did not recieve the 8 way adjustable seats that came standard on P-type models, L-type wheels were 14X5.5" until 1985 when they changed to 15x6" and a P-type style. All P-type wheels are 14x7" alloys. L-types had digital dash w/ trip computer as an option. All P-types were available with headlight washers (except 1982 for the washers) and wheel flares, the L-types had no flares or headlight washers

L-type on the left, P-type on the right

L-type wheel (82-84) 14 x 5.5", +27mm offset

L-type wheel (1985 only) 15 x 6", +20mm offset.

P-type wheel 14 x 7", +8mm offset

All have a 4:114.3 bolt circle/bolt pattern.

In the Canadian Spec cars, the Digital Dash was a OPTION on BOTH the P-Type cars AND the L-Type cars. In the US Spec cars, the Digital Dash was a OPTION on ONLY the L-Type cars. The P-Type's only got the Analog dash.

Automatic Tranny was a OPTION on P-Type & the L-Types. This only applies to the US & Canadian Spec 82 - 83's. 84+, the US Spec L-Types only got the Auto tranny. 84+, the Canadian Spec cars did NOT get the L-Types. 84+, the P-Type's still had the Slushbox as a OPTION in BOTH countries.

Canada, the Trip Computer was not available, because it was only available in the US, because the Computer only worked in Miles & Gallons. It did NOT work for Kilometers or Litre's.

Leather Interiors in the MkII
    P-types:
    1982* leather not available
    1983* available in black, a one year only color - still trying to confirm Terra Cotta
    1984* available in Maroon and Black/Grey; L-type seats were also available in the '84 P-types as well
    1985* available in Maroon, Black/Grey and first year Blue became availabe
    1986* same colors as '85

L-types:
    1982* leather available in Black and Terra Cotta, material appears to look and feel like vinyl
    1983* leather available in the same colors, but now the seat material is the actual leather
    1984* leather available in Maroon and Black/Grey
    1985* leather not available
    1986* L-type was discontinued

*Note; mkII Supra started production in 1981 and ended in 1985...the cars that were made from August-December of 1985 were classified as 1986 models as with any year car made between those months they are named after the next year...some July models are hybrids, having features of both the production date and next years model.

****If any of this info is wrong or needs more info added, please PM me so I can adjust this post accordingly.*****
    Info is being added as it comes in, thanks all

Thanks to Chris Eng, Arch, Charles, Dogstar, Dean and any others I may have forgotten in helping me gather the information and pics
    Last edited by Tanya; 05-24-2007 at 03:41 PM.
    Hidden Content

------->Hidden Content <--- shirts, mugs, phone cases & more
    Hidden Content
    1985 P-type 5 speed
    6MGE
    8 years strong 4-20-16

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

edited for idiocy.
    Dean L.
    1985 Toyota Supra - Hidden Content
    1987 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ73
    2007 Lexus LX470

for reference:
    USDM = United States cars
    JDM= Japanese cars
    CDN= Canadian cars
    AUS= Australian cars
    EUR= European
    if anyone would like to make another suggestion, it's welcome
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    1985 P-type 5 speed
    6MGE
    8 years strong 4-20-16

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

84 5-speeds are actually the 160hp 163 tq motors.

85 is when they went to 161/169.

82 P-Types don't have mudflaps. First started in 83 & they had the 1 year only "chunky" look design. 84 had a minor redesign that stayed till 86.

Leather interiors in P-Types are a whole other story, esp on 84's. Will have to explain this later.

Many other differences that I know of, I'll be adding/editing this post as I go along....
    Chris Eng
    1981 MA47 Silver Metallic 5ME Automatic
    1985 MA67 Super Deep Red 5MGE 5-speed
    Member PacNW Supras/Hidden Content from Popular Science
    Despite the constant physical and--judging by the twitchy, panicked expression--mental punishment inflicted on him by Dr. Bunsen Honeydew窶冱 experiments, Beaker keeps coming back for more. Clearly the Jackass crew grew up ingesting a healthy dose of these Muppet Show regulars.

wow it is really hard to find "original" mkII pics, LOL I keep finding ones w/ aftermarket wheels...blah need more original pics
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    1985 P-type 5 speed
    6MGE
    8 years strong 4-20-16

Hmmm. 1982's did not have headlight washers. I believe 1983's also had a different rear end for the 5 speed - 3.91.

Don't forget the wonderful :x factory alarm in 1985 and 1986 - I trigger that stupid thing every time I try to unlock the passenger door with the key...
    Phil G.

1985 P-Type

Phil,

83 5-speeds had the 4.10. I don't believe ANY USDM MKII had the 3.91 rear. Other countries yes, but not ours. Only USDM Supra's that I know of that had a 3.91, was the 79 - 80 MA46 MKI.
    Chris Eng
    Despite the constant physical and--judging by the twitchy, panicked expression--mental punishment inflicted on him by Dr. Bunsen Honeydew窶冱 experiments, Beaker keeps coming back for more. Clearly the Jackass crew grew up ingesting a healthy dose of these Muppet Show regulars.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanyas Mk2
    was kinda hoping people would PM me so it didn't turn into a 3 page mess like on the SF
    Whoops, sorry about that.. Ya might want to highlight that notation.

Don't feel bad, the Paint Code thread that is here in the FAQ that I'm trying to maintain, has turned into 4 pages... :eek2:
    Chris Eng

Quote Originally Posted by CJSREDPRA
    Phil,

83 5-speeds had the 4.10. I don't believe ANY USDM MKII had the 3.91 rear. Other countries yes, but not ours. Only USDM Supra's that I know of that had a 3.91, was the 79 - 80 MA46 MKI.
    Righto CE.....I knew 83's were different...4.10 rather than 3.91. I stand corrected!

I'm still figuring out all the little nuances between the 84 I had and the 85 now.
    Phil G.

1985 P-Type

I need more L-type pics if anyone has them, close up pics of the two different L-type wheels would be great...need 82,84,85 L-type pics

Thread Information