Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

This summer's progress -1985 Supra P-Type

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  speed_racer 
#1 ·
Well gang...summer is nearly over and this is as far as I will be going with my Supra for this year...description of work first, then there are a few pics at the end. My goal is to always have it as a nice driver and to work on it and keep learning, especially on my paint and bodywork...and my patience!

Its still a little rough in a couple of places but it definitely has character...

As some of you may already know, this is what was included in the car when I purchased it (and possibly more…important stuff anyway):

Engine:
Rebuilt 6MGE
210cc Injectors
Rabid Chimp 3" Intake
AEM Wideband A/F System
Transmission (rebuilt):
Jim King Short Throw Shifter kit w/new shifter boot
New clutch
Fidanza aluminum flywheel
Suspension:
KYB AGX adjustable struts/shocks front/rear
Suspension Techniques lowering springs
Addco sway bars front/rear
LJM front strut bar
Rabid Chimp rear strut bar
Brakes/Wheels:
Wilwood 4 Piston BBK front/rear
Stainless steel brake lines
Prime 16x8 wheels
Other:
Momo steering wheel
New carpet
New armrest pad
Decent stereo - nice sub box and Alpine amp
Window tint (rear window and rear side windows)

This is all the work I've done over the past spring/summer/fall:

Engine Work:
New 80A Camry alternator
New temperature sensor and cold start timer sensor (just disintegrated)
New oil pump and oil pan gasket (developed low oil pressure)
New oil pressure sender (added "T" for mechanical gauge)
New radiator/cap/180 thermostat/coolant (rad developed leaks and installed thermostat was too hot)
New bypass hoses (all 6) and upper/lower rad hoses (bypass hose burst shortly after buying car)
New plugs/cap/rotor/wires
New fuel filter
New Walker exhaust system w/cat delete (exhaust started to leak, so replaced all of it)
New vacuum lines where needed
New battery electrical and mechanical clamps (battery was not secured when I bought the car)
Removed and cleaned throttle body (it was actually not that dirty really)
Replaced TPS screws with hex head and reset TPS correctly (wasn't properly set when I bought the car)
Properly reprogrammed AEM Wideband for correct O2 sensor curve output (needed Nernst output setting)
Reset AFM 2 clicks leaner (running a little rich after AEM reprogram)
Reset timing from 20deg to 12deg (was at 20deg when I bought the car)
Removed A/C lines/condenser/accumulator (no compressor with 6M - don't need A/C anyway)
Notes:
AEM Wideband (that came with the car) replaced the factory O2 but was not programmed for Nernst curve O2 sensor output (what the factory ECU wants to see). Instead it was programmed for an aftermarket ECU with a linear output. After reprogramming, car went from 12MPG to almost 20MPG and overall ran much better after timing, TPS adjustment, AFM adjustment, and tune up. Currently car holds A/F idling between 14.5 to 15.5 and WOT A/F is around 11.5 to 12. Figured out it was programmed wrong from reading the AEM instructions, looking at the installation, and a couple of voltmeter checks.

Wheels/Suspension
New Konig Rewind 16x7 wheels (0 offset)
New Cooper Zeon ZPT 225/50-16 tires (4 tires - didn't stagger front/back)
New steering rack boots
Front end alignment
Notes:
I'm keeping the Prime wheels for now...

Body
Patched/painted 3 lower body holes
Replaced all upper door trim
Removed lower trim and plugged holes
Patched/painted hatch door (rust under spoiler)
Fixed "shaking" drivers mirror (still shakes a bit, its way better but I still need a new one)
New hardware on lower engine cover (folded under car on its trip home - just installed missing screws)
Did "Wiper arm conversion" and replaced wiper blades

Interior:
Added vacuum gauge in empty pod hole
Added mechanical oil gauge
Painted maroon Supra steering wheel black
New front driver/passenger seats
Notes:
The car came with a Momo wheel but where I live the thing is a total heatscore. The car did come with a factory wheel though it was maroon. I gave the Momo to one of my MR2 buddies and painted the exposed plastic on the maroon wheel black. I've been using a good leather conditioner (Adams) to bring back the steering wheel leather cover and the rear leather seats as best as I can.
The new front seats are just knock offs but are really comfortable and were really easy to install, too...and I even made my own brackets!

Pics:

See less See more
#5 ·
Wow, the car looks great!! I love the tasteful mods and personal touches you've done to it! Especially the seats! What kind are those and where did you find them? Also if you could, how did you do the wiper arm conversion? I've been interested in doing that myself.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks!

Wiper blade mod was this one:
http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?38677-Wipers-101&p=872345&viewfull=1#post872345

As far as the seats go, I have no idea exactly what brand they are! Seriously! I just walked into my local speed shop, the owner brought out the catalog, I went over what dimensions I wanted, he helped me pick out the model, and I ordered them! They were $450.00 CDN for the pair and came with double sliders.

They are similar in size to a Cipher model that is available but they are probably made at the same factory as Cipher/Spec-D/Ractive. I was told on another forum they appear to be a Recaro Speed Replica...sorry that's all I know about these...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.