FS: 1985 SDR Celica Supra, Lowish Miles, Totaly Stock, Prime Restoration Candidate

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar

FS: 1985 SDR Celica Supra, Lowish Miles, Totaly Stock, Prime Restoration Candidate

Edit 1/26/2017: Sold! She's becoming an Ontario resident.

This is a car I picked up earlier this year to fix a few flaws on, put a good motor and tranny into from my old rusty DD and then find it a good home while making a few bucks. I'm now in a position where I don't need the money as much and would rather spend the winter working on my own cars, so its available for sale now. I will be starting to fix up its most serious issues and then put that motor in, but it only gets more expensive the more I work on it. Up here, mk2s this rust free are incredibly rare. In fact, this is the 2nd least rusty mk2 I have ever owned, and I’ve had 16 of them (and that includes my black 86). The only mk2 I’ve bought up here with less rust was from California. Its got a few fixable blemishes, but I instantly recognized this car as a diamond in the rough and a prime restoration candidate, so I jumped on it.

So the details; its an original 5spd, Sunroof Canadian car with a digital dash (only Canadian cars had this combo), burgundy cloth interior, pretty low miles 173k kms (107k miles), 2 owners, only 1 prior accident (DS quarter was repainted at one point) but otherwise all original paint. 100% stock, and besides the motor being removed, it hasn’t had much messed with on it. The car was a low miles 1 owner garage queen before the previous owner acquired it about 9 years ago. It was only on the road for about 4 years after that, which is when it acquired some minor front end dings (and the headlight pod replacement). Then the motor and tranny was pulled and the car parked. It was stored in the same spot for that 9 year period, up tight between a house and a fence on bare dirt (no foliage, or grass), so it only got sun from limited angles. The fading is all above the belt lines and just on the sides of the seats. This car has only 3 rust perforations, which I will fix if it ends up staying here long enough. The DS rocker in the usual spot, the lower rear PS quater in the usual spot (from the leaking power antenna) and the lower rad support from a leaky battery (super common too). Other then that the car is rock solid, even has all of the inner quater pieces intact! There are some small spots of surface rust on the exterior, but that stuff is easily ground off. I haven’t stripped the underside down and inspected it like I normally do in a complete resto, but I’ve poked around the rear wheel archs and they’re pretty damn good. Here’s some pics as the car is now...

The interior is pretty decent, but it needs to be cleaned up once a tranny and motor is back in it. The dash overall is quite good, but unfortunately there is a small split right in the center. Would be easy to hide with a gauge cluster or GPS screen or something at least.

I have a lot of spare burgundy parts here actually, I’ll swap in the decent center console lid before it goes.

The AC and PS system is completely intact! It even has the little plastic AC fan protective cover plate still lol.

And this is the motor\tranny I will be swapping in, or could be purchased with the car if you want to do it. I’d be keeping that intake and powdercoated valve covers, I have others I will swap them for. Everything that is missing from the other car this one has, its a complete runner.

My plan is to fix the 3 perforations properly (I’ve been doing this professionally for awhile, see the various threads of cars I’ve restored), fix all of the dings and white paint, then swap in the good tranny (around 200k kms) and motor from my DD. That motor isn’t a cream puff, has approx 330k kms on it, but I refreshed it at 290k with all new seals (including valve stem seals), timing belt, head gasket and all hoses and its been dead reliable ever since and runs like a top. Had perfect compression last I checked too. Its been sitting the last few years but I run it regularly.

edit as of April 23rd 2015:
    UPDATE: Ok, big progress on this thing. I've completed the rust repair and paint work to the front end. As many of our beloved mk2s do unfortunately, this car also fell victim to a leaky battery. This is a blight that can attack any mk2 no matter where its from or how little rust the car has. Owners don't notice that their battery is leaking acid and it drips out of the battery tray (if they were even running one), onto the battery mount, then down the rail and into the lower subframe where it wrecks havoc. This is a very complicated repair to do right, luckily this is the fourth mk2 I've done this to so I've got my technique down. My process removes 100 percent of the rust and seals up every crevice inside and out so it can't happen again. Not familiar with my work? Check out this thread...

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/sh...amp-Slow-Build

I actually just posted a photo to it from the repair of this car that shows the before damage and the extent I went through to fix it properly. I am preparing an update for that thread of a very similar repair I did to the car that that thread is about, which will go into much detail on how I do this, the hows, the whys and the how toos.

Onto the good stuff! Here is this car right after paint...

The black paint sprayed on the outside of the lower rad support is generally a thin coat. As the factory does I spray a good 2 coats of body color acrylic enamel down first for maximum rust protection before applying the black that blacks out the areas visible through the holes in the factory bumper. All of the red is PPG Delfeet Acrylic Enamel oil base sprayed from an HLVP gun. This is left over paint from the restoration to DeanFun's 85 SDR I completed last year, very nice paint.

Here's a good one showing my handiwork. The front section of this rail was removed, can you see where it was cut?

Don't think so. Removal of the rail is essential, the acid drips into them through those little holes on top and gets in between the inner pieces of the rail. I soak the rail in a vat of Metal Rescue for almost 2 weeks to remove all of the rust in it, before treating it, primering it, welding it back on then seam sealering every crevice inside and out. I have been doing this professionally for the last 6 years, it will not rust again. Here is the car as it sits now...

Concerned about the disparity between the shiny paint and the original? There are 2 very simple solutions if you are interested in this car. A) if you are looking for something to drop something fast and shiny into, then chances are you going to be repainting the entire engine bay anyways, so no problem. Or B), you are looking for something to drive and not worry about, in which case just do nothing. A years worth of road grime will make everything look the same. I have another SDR car here that I replaced the upper rad support on many years ago and just painted bits of it like this. You would never know only a portion of it was done.

Ok, so here is the latest and where things are at. I am going to install the front sway bar with the refinished strut rod bracket this weekend, and then I'm taking a break from this car. Autox season is upon me and I need to get some engine work done to my black 86. I bought this car to make some cash on and because I saw huge potential in it and had all the bits it needed to be whole. I am now in a situation where I need my time more then the money (baby on the way etc), so I would love to call it a day on this project and move on, letting it go for alot less then I originally hoped to make off it. Right now the car is at the perfect level of assembly for someone looking for a chassis to do an engine swap too. Trust me, I just finished a 1jz swap and did a custom intercooler system for it last year, and this is exactly the level of tear down you want the car at. I am going to leave this thing as is for at least the next few weeks and hope someone snatches this up. If not, I will be proceeding with fixing the rust hole on the PS rear quater and the one on the DS front quater (both in the usual spots) and a small dent on the DS door, then proceed putting a good 5m and w58 in. Here's the price break down I'm thinking is fair right now for the various stages this car could sell in...

1. Done, running, driving, sorted and reliable. All significant rust repairs as described and any significant body damage repaired, with SDR acrylic enamel on all surfaces affected (factory original paint everywhere else). Detailed and highly presentable, no significant rust. $5000

2. The body and interior the same as 1, but no motor or tranny installed, rolling chassis with a little detail work and a nice exterior. $4000

3. No motor\tranny, the last 2 rust spots not fixed nor any additional bodywork, but a dent free fender and header panel swapped for the bent ones and painted SDR (see original pics), and the front end assembled to whatever level you would like. $2500

4. As is currently. Front end rust repair work completely done, a complete rolling chassis with a fully installed interior in good shape. Both head light lids have already been swapped for straight SDR ones, and I dealt with white sections on that replaced headlight bucket. I can finish assembling and aligning the front end body panels if you like (header, fender, hood). $2000

Additional Option for 3 & 4. The good 5m with w58 and all bits you will need to get this thing complete and running again included but uninstalled for an additional $800. Add another $200 for me to install it all. I will pull the motor and such out of the donor car as well.

Another Additional Option. If you really want those 2 rust holes fixed but are interested in putting a motor into this car yourself, take it now for price 3 or 4, and then bring it back to me when the motor swap is sorted and I can do the rust repairs then for $25 an hour.

Any other combination that peaks your interest, give me a pm and we can talk. I am always willing to deal, just don't low ball me. I know what I have and I know what its worth. Up here mk2s with this little rust, and this low miles are stupid rare. This is easily a 7-8k car once its been painted and sorted nicely, and that's with this 5m under the hood, never mind something racey.
    Last edited by SupraFiend; 01-27-2017 at 04:09 PM.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member spud3861's Avatar
    Nice save.

The faded paint looks like it could be revived nicely with a careful 2 stage machine polish.

yeah I know once I take care of the minor exterior flaws, a good detail and polish will make this car present really well. Didn't really want to advertise it in its prior state, but those who know these cars should see the huge potential here. I have 2 other major mk2 projects to finish this winter so I have to choose my battles carefully. I almost went with keeping this car as my new daily, but I have so much work into my 86 SDR Cali car it would be silly to use another chassis at this point.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member Manvir Brar's Avatar
    I recognized this car from craigslist, my dad was thinking about buying it for himself but we just have too many cars and not enough space at the moment. Good luck with the sale and it'd be awesome to see this thing restored!
    - Manvir Brar

Smoke tires, not drugs.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

When was that? I've had this car for most of this year, I acquired it early this year from a forum add on another board I used to frequent.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car

Oh, there is a faded red one on CL at the moment. Maybe I've just onfused it for a different car.
    - Manvir Brar

Smoke tires, not drugs.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Yeah I had a feeling. I didn't think this one had been advertised on CL. Oddly enough, it turned out that I had actually met the previous owner before and seen this car. He brought it out to the Autox that I had organized for the 2006 SupraFest PNW Nationals here in BC. I even found an old picture of it, I remember it being absolutely mint at the time. Even then I'd never seen a BC car with no rust that wasn't a super low miles garage queen.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car

I'm beginning to think you know something about the past of all the BC supras haha
    - Manvir Brar

Smoke tires, not drugs.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Pretty close lol
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car

So Seamus, you are selling it now?
    I would have had a motor and trans in it by now and resold if Pete had of called me.
    I am definitely interested.
    >>Your Source for quality used hard to find 82-85 Celica Supra parts.<<
    Fully restored 85,7mgte,R154,57 trim,custom ex,alum flywheel,3:73's,Stainless brake lines. 85 Celica GT coupe(new project).85 Cressida wagon w/ 81 Celica Supra LSD disc brake rear end and load adjusting coilovers.

Thread Information