Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

[TRD 83] - my GA61 Supra XX

6K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  WA_TRD_83 
#1 ·

Yes - its been a year or so I've been visiting the Forums - thought it was about time I posted some details of my pride and joy! :bigok:

YEAR: 1983
CAR: GA61 Toyota Supra (Celica XX) Import
RESIDES: Perth, Western Australia
OWNER: Damien Ferraz a.k.a. Damo [WA_TRD_83]

Purchased the car in 1999 from a dood who imported it from Japan about a year earlier.
The car was in exellent to almost perfect condition with original paint, minimal rust (only I know where its hiding!! hehe :p - but trust me, it ain't much), all electrics and stock running gear apart from a 2 1/2in exhaust.
Happily purchased with the original engine going strong, and only ~83,000km on the clock!

Since then it has been a slow and steady mod process, with only subtle differences to the original purchase of the car.. but don't worry - there is more to come!! :dancin:

So here's the nitty gritty as she stands at the moment:

RUNNING GEAR:
1G-GEU engine = 2lt 6cyl Twin Cam EFI.
Supra 5spd manual + new clutch
Standard LSD
Pod filter
2 1/2in -- 3in exhaust, with stainless Magnaflow muffler and tip

STOPPING POWER:
4 wheel disc brakes
Fronts have been upgraded to bigger calippers (possibly cressida) and DBA MA61 Slotted rotors

ROLLING:
16" Simmons B45 mag wheels (6.5" wide I think??!)
Toyo 205/55/16 tyres
Standard springs and suspension - to be upgraded soon to Kings springs and Koni shocks.

EXTERIOR {OTHER}:
Colour coded wipers
Front meshing
Door decals
Window decals
[TRD 83] personalised license plates

IN-CAR ENTERTAINMENT:
ALPINE CD player 50 x 4
4in Kenwood splits mounted in custom front door pod
JVC 6x9 inch speakers in rear walls
ALPINE V12 400w 2ch amp
2x 12inch Clarion V-Net subwoofers in custom sealed box
--> all installs done by me! and last SPL comp registered 142.3dB!! :werd:

INTERIOR {OTHER}:
Sports steering wheel
Stainless Sports gear shifter
Sports pedals with non slip rubber to keep the boys in blue happy!
5inch Autometer Sport-Comp Monster tacho + shift lite

Unfortunately i have no power figures or quarter mile times etc etc... but she goes well for a 20 year old sports car, and I'm having fun learning to drift in a car with moderate power.
Soon to come is the 7MGTE engine transplant, upgraded/lowered suspension, drift style body kit, and customised/retrimmed interior.

I'll post pics as the progress continues.. which will be whenever the money comes!! *crosses fingers for lotto win* :lol:

Till then - any questions or comments welcomed!!
Cheers! Hope you likey!!

DAMO
TRD 83

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for the comments guys!

This is the only clear picture I have of the engine bay.. Enjoy!

Not much has changed under there yet! hehe

Damo
TRD 83

#5 ·
reaction one: :shock: phenomanaly clean engine bay. The white really shows it off too.
reaction two: :? That's one tiny little engine you got there, never actually seen a 1G before. 2L I6? wierd.
Very nice car, good luck with the 7M swap.

#8 ·
Greg G said:
what up Damo... she looks great. I really like your choice of wheels. Dont be such a stranger around here!

edit: are you sure that isnt a 1984 model? :confused:
heh, this has been mentioned many times, but in japan they got the 84s earlier, and some countries only got the "84" style.

#9 ·
thanks dogstar
I'm sure there are many differences between the Jap spec, US spec and Aus spec MkII's which is where the confusion comes in! Some similarities.. some differences.
I'm lead to believe that its an 83, and no one has been able to prove otherwise.
There isn't any identification markings on the car as to the year of manufacture... it was registered in Australia as an 83 model - and so I guess thats how it stays?! :aus:

Thanks for the comments on the engine bay too!
its the cleanest 20 year old engine bay I've ever seen!! hehe

DAMO
TRD 83

#12 ·
Very clean car! Nice....agreed, though, it's begging for a 7MGTE swap! :lol:

Didn't think they had problems with gang-banger taggers in Oz.....

#17 ·
suprasrock said:
The wrap around turn signals (and the other changes that came with them) came out of the factory from august 83 onwards. Only America seems to be hung up on model years. If it was built in late 83 then most countries would call it an 83. I'm sure some of the 84s in the US were built in 83.
indeed... my silver car was made in either october or november 81, but still sold as an 82, lol.

#18 ·
sorry not to chase you away, but "if" that was a civic would all those mods be considered rice? and smaller then stock tires(unless different in japan)?

nice looking ride though, just not my taste.

#19 ·
:gotrice:
hehehehe
Nothing wrong with a hint of rice to show where the car came from! teehee

(also.. my car originally came with 15"x6" soarer style rims. So the wheels/tyres are larger than stock. I could fit wider tyres on the back, but opted to keep tyres same size all around for rotational purposes...)

nah - its all in preparation of big power figures come the 7M transplant!

Correct guys - the 1GGTE engine swap would be an easy and cheaper way to get some boost... but thats why half the people in Aus are doing it!! If you are gonna do an engine conversion - do it right I guess! Bigger engine, bigger turbo = more power :D Dunno - always had a soft spot for the 7M...

ps. I will follow up on that VIN number clue.. see what It can tell me?!

pss. Suspension hasn't been altered yet - but I'll post some pics when it has. It will look alot like Norbie's Aus spec 1JZ MkII (same suspension setup).

Thanks for all the comments guys!

DAMO
TRD 83

#20 ·
Dean said:
WA_TRD_83 said:
There isn't any identification markings on the car as to the year of manufacture... it was registered in Australia as an 83 model - and so I guess thats how it stays?! :aus:
DAMO
TRD 83
Maybe we can tell the year by the last 7 digits of the VIN.
Post the entire VIN#. If it's more or less like the North America VIN's, the 10th digit will indicate the year.

#21 ·
Donn29 said:
sorry not to chase you away, but "if" that was a civic would all those mods be considered rice? and smaller then stock tires(unless different in japan)?

nice looking ride though, just not my taste.
dude, you must be a closet ricer... its like you are so worried about everyone else "copying" your ricyness you try to discourage them from doing anything to their car by saying its rice...

get a grip dude, XX badges and some minor mods are not rice.

#23 ·
dogstar - coming to my rescue again! Thanks man!
yeah ain't nothing wrong with a couple of stickers here and there to personalise your ride! :D

Import_Eve - thanks as well!

DAMO
TRD 83

#24 ·
UPDATE
Joint purchase with Peewee - picked up my donor running gear Mk2 Supra today!! :dancin:

Peewee gets the body for his own engine conversion madness... and I'll finally get around to doing my much awaited 7MGTE conversion.
The donor Mk2 already comes with 7MGTE motor, turbo timer, 5spd W58 gearbox and 3.7diff.

I'll update again when we get around to sticking the engine in my tidy Mk2 engine bay!!

:3gears:

Damo
TRD 83

#26 ·
What did the donor car set you back ?

Have fun installing it, I can't wait to drive mine again.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.