Rear axle noise from lowered suspension? - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member discoelk's Avatar
    Check your rear hubs for play in the splines. My mild 5mgte bent the teeth on mine enough to cause 10-15 degrees of play. I'm not sure they will last much longer behind the LS but I have all the parts ready to go whenever they finally completely shear.
    David H
    85 P, LS6/R154/3.58/TrueTrac etc

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Hmmm, play in hub splines? Gotta check that. Not sure I would get the clunking, popping noises though. Still, with this car's history, lot of stuff could be on the verge of breakage.

Thanks for the thoughts guys! Good point about the yoke shouldn't be moving much. I guess mostly likely problem is in the wonderful rear area.

Don L.

I just ordered a set of axles. At that price, figured the car deserved it. Sure hope the strength is as good as the original axles. They have held up pretty good over the years.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Fast forward to October 2016, at a autocross at Crows Landing, huge concrete site, fast course, speeds up to probably 80 mph in the car (past events here got up to 110 mph in 3rd gear). Broke the driver side inner CV joint on rear axle. At least I have spares, so back home and 8 nuts later, we are good.

This particular fail is new to me. Now I am familiar with another potential weakness in my overstressed drivetrain. The CV cage was busted to pieces, balls everywhere, splined shaft as seen got pretty well honed. I attribute this to the large power, 315 rear race tires, and my Kaaz LSD that was locking up too soon thus stressing the axles. I have since tuned the LSD (diff) to have more "differential" action, basically allowing opposite rear tires to turn at different speeds at low throttle and mid throttle. At full throttle the LSD would still fully lock and both rear tires will want to turn at same rate (ala locker). I have always heard that best way to break rear 1/2 axles is by using a locker. With enough tire slippage, no problem (like drifters), but my setup is not drifty, so I learn a bit more of the cars limits. Less preload, slower rate of lock. I'm getting it

Don L.

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    So is your noise gone with a different axle in there now?

Wowzers, up to 315s now too huh
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

I would have to say the rear end is quieter now, not exactly sure why since a few other things have changed too. Currently have the OS Giken LSD on the car. Initially (after some machine work) it was locking up very hard, then after several adjustments by OSG, it now seems to work more like how everyone who raves about these units describe it. Smooth and quiet on slow turns, progressively increases lockup with added throttle. Gets full lockup at full throttle. I guess for now, can't ask for much more. Now other areas of suspension need attention.

Back to the original question, the axle that broke never felt like it has excessive play in the CV area, as I checked it by hand, but maybe there was enough tension I could not tell if there was play.

Yeah, the 315 Hoosiers in rear are just the ticket to bust up more parts in the drive train. So far, just ring/pinion gear, and a single axle. As long as a stub axle doesn't break, most everything else I can swap ok.

Gee,the Internet is slow tonight. (Friday evening)
    How does the OS Giken LSD 'tighten' up at higher throttle application/RPM's?
    Moreover,how does it allow loose diff-action in low speed turning?
    How does it do that,please?
    Does it require a special lubricant and what do the manufacturers recommend?

I run the OEM LSD and the(Ford) additive is critical in it's function.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ferential.aspx

Above is a link to one of the very few good articles describing how an OSG LSD operates. They cost a bunch, and adjustments and tuning of the LSD is usually done by OSG in S. Calif. Private shops usually cannot "tune" the OSG units as parts and such is controlled by OSG. Yeah, a bit exclusive, and limiting at times, but they do try hard to work with the driver to get the LSD tuned to the situation. That article can describe the OSG better than I can.

Very simply, the OSG units have more friction plates, for better lockup and smoother lockup. There are different cam ramps available which can dictate how gradually the lockup comes. There are springs, actually 2 kinds of springs that control preload of the plates, and another kind of spring that prevents lockup of the plates. This last type of spring is unusual in that keep the plates from locking, essentially makes the unit an open diff, good for turning, no chatter, etc. However, these unlocking springs eventually get overcome by the preload springs and action of the cam ramps that with torque from throttle will force the friction plate together.

It's all really foggy to me, but I have a Trutrac, a 1.5 way Kaaz, and a 1.5 way OSG. All great units, but I believe if the OSG is tuned correctly, it will work the best and last the longest before requiring a rebuild.

The other LSD I would look into if I needed to blow more cash, is the Cusco unit. It sounds very adjustable, and parts are available for the owner to make the changes, kinda nice.

Don L.

Might want to jump in on the other thread for interest in repop diff flanges with 930CV patterns. Would make for easy axle upgrades.

Does it require a special lubricant and what do the manufacturers recommend?

I run the OEM LSD and the(Ford) additive is critical in it's function*****

OSG recommends use of their special LSD lubricant, its something like a 75-250 wt, honey like stuff. About $50 a quart, so gear oil changes will not be frequent. I have used the Ford additive too, and Redline's version also. The right amount of "slip" is essential in any clutch disc type of LSD. The tricky thing is getting the comfortable amount of slippage in low speed tight turns, but yet still get full lock at full throttle situations. I have had times where the parking lot turns might be nice and quiet, but full throttle and I fried the friction plates in one autox event because they never fully locked (for me). The OSG seems best to get full lock when needed, and fully unlocked when needed. Most other units, especially all the standard American clutch plate units will be a compromise because its almost all set up with just a preload. Anyway, I am no expert, just working with end results.

Don L.

Thread Information