Rear axle noise from lowered suspension? - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Seen the thread regarding diff flanges. Interesting, but "easy axle upgrades" sounds expensive to me, and I kinda know how long projects like this take to get from drawing board to garage. As I get older, the thoughts of a C6 Z06 that I can drive to an autox event, race, drive home, sound attractive. All with creature comforts, a/c, and 26 mpg. Hmmmmm.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Don L. View Post
    http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ferential.aspx

Above is a link to one of the very few good articles describing how an OSG LSD operates. They cost a bunch, and adjustments and tuning of the LSD is usually done by OSG in S. Calif. Private shops usually cannot "tune" the OSG units as parts and such is controlled by OSG. Yeah, a bit exclusive, and limiting at times, but they do try hard to work with the driver to get the LSD tuned to the situation. That article can describe the OSG better than I can.

Very simply, the OSG units have more friction plates, for better lockup and smoother lockup. There are different cam ramps available which can dictate how gradually the lockup comes. There are springs, actually 2 kinds of springs that control preload of the plates, and another kind of spring that prevents lockup of the plates. This last type of spring is unusual in that keep the plates from locking, essentially makes the unit an open diff, good for turning, no chatter, etc. However, these unlocking springs eventually get overcome by the preload springs and action of the cam ramps that with torque from throttle will force the friction plate together.

It's all really foggy to me, but I have a Trutrac, a 1.5 way Kaaz, and a 1.5 way OSG. All great units, but I believe if the OSG is tuned correctly, it will work the best and last the longest before requiring a rebuild.

The other LSD I would look into if I needed to blow more cash, is the Cusco unit. It sounds very adjustable, and parts are available for the owner to make the changes, kinda nice.

Don L.
    I read all of the pages,and I'm blown away!
    Quote:
    However, these unlocking springs eventually get overcome by the pre load springs and action of the cam ramps that with torque from throttle will force the friction plate together.

Cam ramps set the clutches load at torque,not RPM, dictates the clutch lock up/slip mode.
    ingenious!
    I'm impressed,totally.
    That was a GREAT read! Thank you,sir.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    As I get older, the thoughts of a C6 Z06 that I can drive to an autox event, race, drive home, sound attractive. All with creature comforts, a/c, and 26 mpg. Hmmmmm.
    Pfffft, where's the fun in that :P Come on, you enjoy re-engineering a 30 year old dinosaur to keep up with the off the lot stuff. Its much more interesting to make a slow car fast then it it is to be fast just because you're in a car that was fast to start with.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend View Post
    Pfffft, where's the fun in that :P Come on, you enjoy re-engineering a 30 year old dinosaur to keep up with the off the lot stuff. Its much more interesting to make a slow car fast then it it is to be fast just because you're in a car that was fast to start with.
    Yeah, I agree. However, I have noticed older & slower guys going the Vette route, just noting the attraction. I guess as long as I can still swing the angle grinder, I'll keep modding the Supra

CelicaSupra.com Member
    http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ferential.aspx

Above is a link to one of the very few good articles describing how an OSG LSD operates. They cost a bunch, and adjustments and tuning of the LSD is usually done by OSG in S. Calif. Private shops usually cannot "tune" the OSG units as parts and such is controlled by OSG. Yeah, a bit exclusive, and limiting at times, but they do try hard to work with the driver to get the LSD tuned to the situation. That article can describe the OSG better than I can.

Very simply, the OSG units have more friction plates, for better lockup and smoother lockup. There are different cam ramps available which can dictate how gradually the lockup comes. There are springs, actually 2 kinds of springs that control preload of the plates, and another kind of spring that prevents lockup of the plates. This last type of spring is unusual in that keep the plates from locking, essentially makes the unit an open diff, good for turning, no chatter, etc. However, these unlocking springs eventually get overcome by the preload springs and action of the cam ramps that with torque from throttle will force the friction plate together.

It's all really foggy to me, but I have a Trutrac, a 1.5 way Kaaz, and a 1.5 way OSG. All great units, but I believe if the OSG is tuned correctly, it will work the best and last the longest before requiring a rebuild.

The other LSD I would look into if I needed to blow more cash, is the Cusco unit. It sounds very adjustable, and parts are available for the owner to make the changes, kinda nice.

Don L.
    Don,

I have the OSG Super Lock LSD in two of my MKIVs and the OSG TCD Super Lock LSD recently installed in my IS-F. These LSDs are the absolute best there are, IMO. I love OSG stuff. I use OSG clutches as well. Anyway, I did not know OSG made a diff for the MKII. Was this a recently acquired item for you and is it still available? TIA,

Ken.
    1985 Toyota P-Type Celica Supra 5MT
    1993.5 Toyota Supra Turbo; 1994 Toyota Supra Turbo; 1995 Toyota Supra Turbo
    1991 Toyota Supra Turbo; 2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8
    2010 Lexus IS-F
    2016 Lexus IS 350 F Sport

Hi Ken, gosh you have a nice stable of cars! Yes, I agree the OSG stuff is awesome when working correctly. Lots of tuning ability with this LSD units and I certainly have gone the full route with their LSD. I bought the OSG in 2014, part# ty131-HA. Actually listed for an Altezza SXE10 model. I figured the smaller Altezza model has 7.5" ring/pinion, and have heard it would adapt to our cars fine. Indeed, the install was very straight forward, but required some rather extensive adjustments to work for my car, which only recently occurred. I have many friends with OSG diffs in their cars (non-supra), and I cannot find fault with their performance. Maybe just my luck, and perhaps my particular unit might have been off on the tolerances, but works great now.

The guys at OSG know my car, Jon and Sean have had numerous conversations with me. They would take care of whatever questions you might have. Support is great from them, but you may know that already.

Don L.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    ^^Thank you Don L. PM sent.

Ken.
    1985 Toyota P-Type Celica Supra 5MT
    1993.5 Toyota Supra Turbo; 1994 Toyota Supra Turbo; 1995 Toyota Supra Turbo
    1991 Toyota Supra Turbo; 2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8
    2010 Lexus IS-F
    2016 Lexus IS 350 F Sport

CelicaSupra.com Member battleaxe's Avatar
    do you still have your kaaz and is it for sale? id love to replace my factory LSD (now welded LSD lol)
    with kaaz's ive always used dino oil with amsoil slip additive. some LSDs call for syn. kaaz do not. ive had my tomei (kaaz) in my s13 since 2003, not a daily though. daily'd it for a year or so and has been a "race car" ever since, but has never caused me grief

Quote Originally Posted by battleaxe View Post
    do you still have your kaaz and is it for sale? id love to replace my factory LSD (now welded LSD lol)
    with kaaz's ive always used dino oil with amsoil slip additive. some LSDs call for syn. kaaz do not. ive had my tomei (kaaz) in my s13 since 2003, not a daily though. daily'd it for a year or so and has been a "race car" ever since, but has never caused me grief
    Yes, I still have my Kaaz, but it plays an important back up role in case the OSG diff breaks. The Kaaz has been great, and it took a huge effort to have it modified to a 1.5 way function, which works well for me. I too run dino oil in it, Torco 85-90wt with about 1/2 bottle of Torco Type F friction modifier. Other thing great about Kaaz is I am comfortable moving the clutch plate around to adjust percentage lock up. Tried almost 100%, but now at approx. 70% and is much more quiet in turns. I did not like the Kaaz off the shelf as it is only available as a 2 way, which sucks for my autox hobby. Turns and transitions were terrible, unless lock up was adjusted way down, like 50%, but then total lock up would suffer. Tough having it both ways with 500 hp.

Yup, keeping the Kaaz for now. You should look into Cusco LSD. No experience with them, but if I were to try yet another brand, I would try them just due to their ability to owner change settings.

Nothing wrong with a stock LSD if just for the street. Weir rebuild, then adjust the oil formulation, should be ok too.

Don L.

CelicaSupra.com Member battleaxe's Avatar
    I drift my supra, i used the stock diff, as is, no mods, and it locked terrible (lol its older than i am, of course it doesnt!)
    it wouldnt lock at low revs, or near redline when the wheel spin became a lot. i had a narrow window that it would do as its supposed to
    so i welded one, to see how it would work. currently "works" (did 1 track day in the rain, no alignment, wasnt great) but ive always had a 2way in my s13 and prefer it...and i feel more comfortable with it than just weld...

kaaz offers 1, 1.5 and 2 way diffs. and now have a "quiet" option as well. I like kaaz because they have a facility if california and there is help and parts in english here. the price for a kaaz has always been a positive as well. and is still mostly current so parts are still readily available.

Thread Information