Car jerks at a constant speed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member 82' Supra's Avatar

Car jerks at a constant speed.

hey everybody I have a bit of a problem. after the car is warmed up and you try to set the cruise or just hold the gas at a constant speed the car likes to jerk. for instance I was on campus the other day and I was in first gear and holding the gas at a constant position and the car would jerk forward and then jerk back. But it does it in all gears. It never used to do that when I first got the car. so I have no clue so any help would be tits. thanks guys.
    Supra's fu**in rule.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Could be a fuel delivery problem, have your petrol filter changed, clean your air filter and see how it goes, it shouldn't jurk or misfire unless there is something wrong...

Cheers.

same thing happened to me, it was my ignitor...it had a weak spark and cut in/out whenever it felt like it
    http://thesupragoddess.tumblr.com/
    1985 P-type 5 speed
    6MGE

Quote Originally Posted by ZZT231
    Could be a fuel delivery problem, have your petrol filter changed, clean your air filter and see how it goes, it shouldn't jurk or misfire unless there is something wrong...

Cheers.
    If you're going to replace the fuel filter then do yourself a favor and replace the upper hardline with high pressure rubber hosing. That hardline is a bitch to get back in place with no kinks.
    83 p-type auto

thanks guys and girls.
    Supra's fu**in rule.

grrr, I'm actually having this problem again, car is jerking at a constant speed. Me thinks I keep getting crappy ignitors
    http://thesupragoddess.tumblr.com/
    1985 P-type 5 speed
    6MGE

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Make sure your speedometer is working properly,,,

I had this problem a few years ago,, and my speedometer needle was bouncing around, till it finally gave out.

Turns out it was the cable fitting (forget the name) that hooks up the cable to the tranny,,,, (looks like an elbow) the gears in it were shot.

Because of this the computer could not read the speed properly, therefore it didn't know how much gas to send to the injectors, causing it to sputter at all speeds.

Once I replaced it,, everything was fine.

Take a look at it.

Good Luck

Rock/
    85 SUPRA

I have a 82 parts car/restore project. will the part from that tranny work on my 85?
    Supra's fu**in rule.

mk2rock: where does the computer take a speed reading from? I don't think it can be just a sensor on the gear in the tranny, as there are no wires for that coming out of my tranny. And it can't be from the top end because I drove both my cars temporarily without gauge sets and they both ran fine. That's auto and manual.
    As far as I know these cars only use speed readings for the cruise...and they take that from the speedo....that's the only place I can see it gets that info anyway.
    '82 Supra: it should work....as far as I know all the MKII trannys are the same.
    Bracham
    Quote Originally Posted by lil'devil
    Warning: the sound of boosted mkII's may have jaw dislocating effect on others.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    To be honest I'm not sure how it works,,, all I know is that I had the same problem of car jerking.

I posted for help on the old yahoo group, Tom D told me this was the problem and how to fix it,,,, so I did and it worked.

Very few of us ever questioned Tom D on this stuff, he was the guru of this original group,,, not sure where he is noe havn't seen him post in quite a while.

Maybe this was just the cause on the 85's,,,, not sure.

Someone else on this list should be able to expalin it a little bit better.

This elbow from Toyota cost me about $300.00 if I remember correctly.

Coudn't find one at a wrecking yard, no one wants to sell it without the tranny.

Good luck,

Rock/
    85 SUPRA

Thread Information