Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

What colors on motor?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  gamble 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I want opinions on what color scheme to paint the engine. I labeled a pic of the motor with A / B / C / D on the parts that will be painted. All colors will be urethane paint, single stage or base / clear.
Here are the color choices:
Body color

Black

Silver/Aluminum

So a response should look like :

A = body color
B = silver
C = black
D = body color

Thanks,
Nolan

[/URL][/IMG]

See less See more
#4 ·
Kajun,

I am a big fan of keeping any drivetrain looking mild it terms of colors and as close to looking OEM as possible, so my vote would be to keep it exactly like it is. If it was raw cast aluminum before, have it coated gloss silver. Gloss or matt black the pulleys and any brackets you don't want to draw attention to. I may be biased, but I would keep the body color matching to a minimum. Maybe just a small meaningful dash of color something to tie in with the engine bay color. (again, biased) Have you thought about powdercoating the intakes and valve covers instead of painting them? If you can get free or cheap access to a media blaster, you can blast the parts before handing them to coaters, where the prices will be considerably cheaper when you do the prep. You cant beat a gloss powdercoat that you can simply wipe off any oil, gas, or chemicals while leaving absolutely no stain or blemish in the finish. I know from numerous past builds that paint just doesn't hold up that awesome over time on anything in the engine bay, but proper powdercoating will provide a decade or more of impeccable parts.

-Mike

#5 ·
I think keep the intake silver:

A = silver
C = body color
B = black or body color too
D = black
All front (pullies...) a powder coat as Mike said.

What are you going to keep on the cover? Change up the new Toyota symbol for an old school Toyota"T" or dragon maybe? Like have it airbrushed in with clear over it.

Duane

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.