5MGTE Guide with Microsquirt - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Little update
    I ran the car around on the street for a while at 16-17lbs. Ran really strong felt a bit quicker than my 430whp c5 corvette.
    The wastegate ended up coming off and it hit boost cut but might have been a little too late or at too high of rpm(was over 6500 when it blew off). I think it broke a lifter from the huge exhaust pressure increase or spun a rod bearing. Has a slight taping sound near the top end at idle.
    I am thinking of swapping a 7m-ge and seeing if I can run the stock 7mge distributer pickup. Everything else should work fine. Just need some time to do it.
    Other option is 2jz-ge and run a better turbo than the ct26. Thing is this ct26 made nearly 475whp on a dyno so it seems to be a factory freak.
    5MGTE CT26 Microsquirt E85
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member amir_zwara's Avatar
    bummer to hear.... but 16 lbs. of boost is quite impressive.
    If you ditch the 5mge, are you gonna be parting with your turbo goodies?

How did you go about getting a tach signal

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
    85 mk2 5mge (gonna get that t in there!!)

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member Manvir Brar's Avatar
    I have mine wired up as per his diagrams, and I'm pretty sure it just comes off the stock wiring from the igniter. Basically, you don't have to do anything extra to make it work it.
    - Manvir Brar

Smoke tires, not drugs.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I'm not "into" putting a blower on my car, but if I was, I'd read this over until I had it memorized!

Well done!

1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

ill be following this post and doing the same setup on my 85' this summer

post removed- will start new thread-,sorry
    Last edited by supra-man77; 03-17-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Some quick answers...

Let me give this a try...Others can chime in too of course.

Quote Originally Posted by supra-man77 View Post
    1- What 750cc bosch style high imp. injectors did you use? Can you give a part number? The reason I ask is Iv'e been shopping for injectors and am trying to get the most bang for my buck (as with everything of course), and I see that most injectors out there seem to draw an amp each. The Microsquirt site indicates that it is capable of supplying 5amps total. Is there some a safety factor built in to how they rated it perhaps or did your injectors draw less than 1amp each?
    You need to let us know if you will be using E85 or not and what your goals for a build are at the start. If you dont have a goal, then dont start the build just yet. smaller injectors are easier to tune idle but that may not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by supra-man77
    2- I've read that my 82 could be difficult to turbo due to the vacuum setup
    Move to an EDIS-6 setup and ditch the dizzy.

3- Do you feel an intercooler is necessary if I stay below 8psi?
    YES, ALWAYS. YES!

4- What size of injector is best? Are smaller easier to tune? Or are the 750cc+ required if I want to bump up the boost some day, or even swap in a 7mgte or 1 or 2jz (if they would even fit)?
    See comments in answer #1

BTW so far my plan looks like getting a universal kit from ebay.
    No. Please plan and do it right the first time or you will spend more money than you planned. (You will do this anyway, but at least you will only build it once.)

Im not sure if I should go the t4 manifold and get a t4 or go t4 manifold + t4 to t3 adapter, or modify the existing 5mge manifold, or go ct26 with 7mgte manifold. Iv'e already been suggested to go manifold vs 7mgte header ( as my concern was having enough room between the strut tower and engine.
    I would use the 7M manifold and get a 57-trim CT26 from driftmotion. Yes a T4 will make more HP, but I am running the 57-trim with forged internals and am completely satisfied with this decision.

I do not want to continue to pollute this wonderful thread with your build items. It would be best to start your own thread. I answered to get you going. There are lots of builds here and you can check out mine in my signature lines. I am glad to help.

Start your own build thread and document your progress.
    Chadrick
    Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; 2007 Tundra CrewMax TRD Supercharged; Hidden Content ; 1967 VW Beetle (Her Classic)
    Hidden Content

Even though I've never owned a turbocharged car, I can say from experience in other projects that it's vitally important to read all the build threads you can find, from start to finish. As you follow the thread, you'll see what mistakes were made (we all make them), how they were corrected, and what the final, working results were.

There's an accumulated wealth of wisdom here about what works, and just as importantly, what doesn't work.

Don't try to outsmart or outthink the Tribal Knowledge collected here! It's priceless, and will save you from reinventing the wheel, making everyone else's mistakes, wasting huge sums of money, and having endless failures and frustration.

I've been there, done that, and in the end, wound up doing things almost exactly the same way as the others who came before me had written about.

And feel free to ask questions as you go along. Somebody here on the forum has had whatever problem you're facing, and solved it.

- Jim
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Agreed CLTOY and drjim, and thank you for your response's and information.

I have much to learn about about building up my Supra, probably most important of which is good forum etiquette, if I want any help from you vets. I will start a new thread about my build and try to erase my last post from this one.

One question I think may still apply to this thread and is to flyjum (or anyone else with experience or knowledge of the microsquirt)- can it support 6amps worth of injectors?

Thanks,
    supra-man77

Thread Information