Search Tips - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Search Tips

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Can this thread be fleshed out with some of the other advice that has been dished our over the last year, and made a category instead of a thread in the suggestion box? Newbies won't know to look here. This is more an area for veterans to make suggestion. I know we have tons of categories on the Forums home page already, but old dogs would be saved a lot of grief if the information is placed front and center when you first open the site. Searching is tricky, and let's face it, the search function is not exactly google quality. It could be made a colored link with one or two words, rather than a title or category there. Put it in the margin or along the top.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    For some reason when I search now, it replaces my AND's with OR's, meaning if I type "85 AND L-type AND wheel" it searches for "85 OR L-type OR wheel" which obviously does not give good results. Anybody else having this issue/know a solution?
    Jan. 1982 Blue 'P' type - 6MGE intake/exhaust/17"SquareWheels, etc.
    1982 Terra Cotta 'P' type - 1UZFTE slowly progressing (high comp/low boost corner carver)
    1983 Black P - Rust Weight Reduction Mod :P +400k and in donor status
    1984 Red L - Daily Driver, well, not daily, but when I leave the Supra farm...
    Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member Chrisfrom1986's Avatar
    Why are you using and? The system already searches for threads with all terms listed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    not for me it doesn't. I put the AND in there because the system still automatically inserts an OR between each word if I just type "85 L-type wheel". When the search results pop up, look in the blue box atop the results and it will list the search terms and operands used by the engine. I thought this was supposed to be fixed as well. It sounds like it might be set in my preferences, but if so I can't figure out how to set it back.
    Jan. 1982 Blue 'P' type - 6MGE intake/exhaust/17"SquareWheels, etc.
    1982 Terra Cotta 'P' type - 1UZFTE slowly progressing (high comp/low boost corner carver)
    1983 Black P - Rust Weight Reduction Mod :P +400k and in donor status
    1984 Red L - Daily Driver, well, not daily, but when I leave the Supra farm...
    Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member memories83's Avatar
    All of the advice above is necessary and has been helpful to me and many others in the past.

However, the first step to a successful search is ensuring that the author of the thread creates the thread with search in mind. The beauty of this forum is that most anything that can go wrong has been addressed before and some many times over. One of the significant problems that I find is that the author, or those responding to it, use slang terms and grossly misspell key words, without any thought to others that may have the same issue.

PLEASE, if you're creating a thread that you think may be helpful to so other poor soul, use the proper terms and use both the long form AND the abbreviated form (i.e. Idle Speed Control Valve and ISCV, Throttle Position Sensor and TPS).

Also, it's okay to list keywords at the bottom of the thread. Doing so will ensure that others will be able to locate needed information in a timely manner.
    Project website: Hidden Content

Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member Mkeller316's Avatar
    The Supra forums now has an awesome search feature. Check it out, it would be sweet here.
    Matt K.

84 P type - retired DD stainless steel header, Rabid Chimp 2.5 exhaust. 2.5 all the way back to the muffler,kyb agx's 2jzge swapped Hidden Content

A good alternative is to set up a free google custom search. It's like searching using google, only you constrain the search to only celicasupra.com. For me, the biggest benefit is that it pulls up a few lines of the thread where the search returns a hit. This allows prescreening of the thread rather than haphazardly clicking through a list of thread titles in the existing search.

I've pasted the code google provides below; but it doesn't seem to work work right in this thread. Does work great through my google page (g-mail etc.) Someone smarter with internets would need to make it work here properly.

<div id="cse" style="width: 100%;">Loading</div>
    <script src="http://www.google.com/jsapi" type="text/javascript"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    google.load('search', '1', {language : 'en'});
    google.setOnLoadCallback(function() {
    var customSearchOptions = {}; var customSearchControl = new google.search.CustomSearchControl(
    '005060970030310129575:gfnar38zeyw', customSearchOptions);
    customSearchControl.setResultSetSize(google.search .Search.FILTERED_CSE_RESULTSET);
    customSearchControl.draw('cse');
    }, true);
    </script>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="http://www.google.com/cse/style/look/default.css" type="text/css" />

CelicaSupra.com Member '82supra's Avatar
    ^ that's too complicated for me and prob most peeps

I've found Google search outperforms the CS search tool, use site:celicasupra.com + key word(s), or just celicasupra.com together with key words.

Quote Originally Posted by tfphoenix View Post
    If you have exhausted the search to the best of your abilities you can start your thread with "Hey guys I couldn't find the answer I'm looking for in my search" or something. Yeah that sucks to have to do but it lets them know you tried.

Something else that might help you, I normally use google search instead of the forum search and usually have better luck finding what I'm looking for. To use google to search the forum type your search in this format...

Hope that helps.
    Hidden Content
    Terracotta Warrior

Thread Information