85 Black Supra 81K Original Miles Leather Garage stored for 14+ years due broken rod - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Well, the deeper I dug, the more rot I found. I am not a body man but I stripped the interior and welded in fresh panels to huge holes in the floor and haven't even got to the rust holes in the trunk and behind the rear wheels. Even the brake lines and fuel lines are rusted beyond redemption. Now I remember why I always buy my drivers out West and ship them here and buy my parts cars here in the Rustbelt.
    The only good thing is the leather interior in excellent condition.

I guess it's going in this black '85 from Arizona instead:

Last edited by 4SFED; 02-16-2017 at 11:55 AM. Reason: fixed pic link I think
    Dave Harrison

current lineup and year acquired:

'85 white Mark2 7mgte 5sp 1990
    '85 white Mark2 7mgte Auto 2009
    '84 maroon Mark2 6mge 5sp 2013
    '85 black Mark2 2jzge 5sp 2015
    '86 SDR Mark2 7mgte 5sp 2016

Hidden Content Originally Posted by cheappower82 Hidden Content
    Guess you have the magic touch; touch mine please?!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Shit man, that sucks. At that price point though I'm not that surprised that it was soft on the underside, but the OP wasn't exactly clear about that. Buying sight unseen is always risky.

So about that Arizona car, it looks very clean on the underside. Looks like it has seen very little salt. However, it has seen plenty of battery acid. You can clearly see here that the battery has been leaking acid onto the frame rail below, and its been dribbling underneath and through the lower rad support...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4ra1pcr8i...5+10.39.09.jpg

This is stupid common in these cars now. I have had to repair this area 4 times now on mk2s, seems like its all I do on them anymore. I have another 2 cars to do it to too. Not an easy repair, but I documented the process well in canadian_pschos LType resto thread. Can find the link if you need it. That rail on the arizona car will certainly have to be cut off and derusted or replaced, and likely the lower rad support will have to be opened up and cleaned as well.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Thanks Seamus. It's risky but I had been pretty lucky before. Once bitten, twice shy - I had the seller of the Arizona car take more pictures and post them and that's when I saw the damage under the battery area. Your thread on that SDR that you've been prepping immediately came to mind. I am not surprised that you chimed in here. I am hoping that the damage isn't as bad as it looks in that picture. But I am prepared to fix it regardless. I already found a link you posted in the SDR thread to the Canadian psycho thread so I will check that out. Thanks.
    Dave Harrison

current lineup and year acquired:

'85 white Mark2 7mgte 5sp 1990
    '85 white Mark2 7mgte Auto 2009
    '84 maroon Mark2 6mge 5sp 2013
    '85 black Mark2 2jzge 5sp 2015
    '86 SDR Mark2 7mgte 5sp 2016

Hidden Content Originally Posted by cheappower82 Hidden Content
    Guess you have the magic touch; touch mine please?!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Oh good, I was just thinking the other day that it was the "86 SDR Cali car restoration" thread that I posted that guide to. From the amount of corrosion visible on the bottom, I can pretty much guarantee that you will have to section that rail to get the rust out for good on that car. Super annoying, it seems like just about every mk2 is falling victim to this kind of corrosion these days.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Thread Information