Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

[OPEN] Advan Carbon Fiber MK2 Sunroof Panel

41K views 125 replies 35 participants last post by  MrBubbles00482 
#1 · (Edited)
APPROVED BY: ME
------------------------------------------------------------------
NAME: Raptor Racing
EMAIL: george@raptorracing.com (BEST way to contact me)
LOCATION: US orders shipping from Advan. Canadian Orders Shipping from Toronto. International Please email me for shipping Information
------------------------------------------------------------------

ITEM: Advan Carbon Fiber MK2 Sunroof Panel
GROUP BUY START DATE: Thursday December 17, 2015
GROUP BUY END DATE: Friday January 29, 2016
QUANTITY REQUIRED: Need 22 Sold or All funds get returned. That's 22 Paid in Full, 1/2 payments count as 1/2 orders.

Kit Details

All the details you'll need are in the specific link's here

PRICE

Option 1: $350 - Paid for the Panel in Full & Shipping to be paid Later
Option 2: $195 - Deposit. $155 + Shipping Due prior to shipping

Ordering and Payment Information

All orders must go through the website linked above, all pricing is in USD. The price you pay does not include shipping, we don’t have shipping quotes but for Continental USA bank on about $30. Canadian orders will ship from Canada and be roughly the same price. These details will be worked out later.

There are 100% NO refunds, this is a HUGE project that takes a LOT of money to make it work. IF you have something that comes then it’s up to you to sell your hatch privately. We will not be able to entertain any requests for refunds…once the order goes in it’s in.

Canadian Customers pay sales tax calculated Automatically by the shopping cart on the site….there are some glitches with the site and some Canadians aren’t charged tax. You will be asked to send that prior to shipping. There is NO tax for US Customers (except CA Residents)

I know the timing is horrible, but I’m not sure there is ever good timing. I’m allowing once again the option to pay for ½ now, ½ plus shipping before it ships out. Please note, if you chose this option and fail to pay when you are required to pay you forfeit your deposit. Please note there is a $20 fee for choosing this option, this is a LOT more work and also increases our risk so really encourage customers to try to pay in full. If everyone pays via deposit only we’ll need a lot more than 22 sold so please try to only use this option if you need it.

Timeline

Advan has advised they can start this late January roughly, what that means in terms of production and when they will ship is not something I can confirm. Please note, as with the hoods and hatches…Advan is doing us a HUGE favor building these. So if the group buy goes through it will take a few months to ship everyone out. Orders will be shipped out on a first pay first ship bases with Canadians as always getting their products after all US orders have shipped.

As always any questions just let me know!!

PLEASE help spread the word without 22 sold this will not happen now.

Payments

1. Raptor Racing - Paid in Full -RECEIVED
2. Paul C. - Paid in Full -Shipping Paid -RECEIVED
3. Tim S - Paid in Full - - Shipping Paid -RECEIVED
4. Tim M. - Paid in Full - Shipping Paid -RECEIVED
5. Rsdeo - Paid in Full - Shipping Paid -RECEIVED
6. Joshua C - Paid in Full -RECEIVED
7. Tanya R - 1/2 Payment
8. Keith N - Paid in Full - Shipping Paid -RECEIVED
9. Scott P - Paid in Full - Shipping Paid -RECEIVED
10. Daan S - Paid in Full -RECEIVED
11. Yasmany A - Paid in Full - Shipping Paid -RECEIVED
12. Matthew P - Paid in Full - Shipping Paid -RECEIVED
13. Frank C - 1/2 Payment
14. Jesus L - Paid in Full - Shipping Paid -RECEIVED
15. Jeffrey L - Paid in Full - Shipping Paid -RECEIVED
16. Dan D - Paid in Full - Shipping Paid -RECEIVED
17. Mike R - Paid in Full - Shipping Paid -RECEIVED
18. Katelin B - Paid in Full - Shipping Paid -RECEIVED
19. Jim K - Paid in Full - Shipping Paid -RECEIVED
20. Bienvenido M - Paid in Full - - Shipping Paid -RECEIVED
21. David H - Paid in Full - - Shipping Paid -RECEIVED
22. Arthur V - Paid in Full - Shipping Paid -RECEIVED
23. Jeff S - Paid in Full - Shipping Paid -RECEIVED
24. Even K - Paid in Full - Shipping Paid -RECEIVED
25. Jeff T - Paid in Full -RECEIVED
26. Jesse B - Paid in Full - Shipping Paid -RECEIVED
27. Corey C - Paid in Ful - Shipping Paid -RECEIVED

See less See more
#4 ·
Will get the money after the holiday! Glad it ends at the end of January. Gives me some time. Glad this is happening.

#8 ·
Yeah, no sunroof on my car. Good luck getting 22!

#12 ·
George, I've been interested in a non-metal sunroof panel for a long time now (practically since I got the car). I've been looking at fibreglass, but the CF one has caught my attention. Just want to clarify a couple of details.

I've heard that you can't paint carbon-fibre (or at least effectively); whilst the CF look is cool on a modern performance car, I would want mine to look stock, which means a (top) coat of Toyota 040 and no clue as to it being CF underneath. Is this doable?

Also, can you ship to Europe, specifically England?

If not, I'll pursue the fibreglass one. Best of luck with this!

#13 ·
CF can be painted, but the prep work involved can be extensive. I have personally seen it done on a CF hood and while it was hard to tell it was CF underneath the prep work was almost as much as the hood.

I can ship to the UK, I have a couple of others who are interested and hoping I can get quotes in the next week.

#14 · (Edited)
If its not a rough, "dry" carbon style layup, why would you not be able to just simply apply a coat of primer, sand and then paint? Paint prep wise it should be no more work then repainting a normal, metal sunroof that has no significant paint damage. The surface on my CFX hood and all of the Advan hoods I've seen are a perfectly smooth, wet lay up done with vacuum bagging. Or are they doing the sunroofs different?

I'm tempted to get one of these too just to help this GB succeed. I do have a mk2 with sunroof but I've already got a restored metal one using my techniques for it.

Word to the wise for those of you with "rust free" original, oem sunroofs who think you won't ever need a composite one. I bet you at least 60 percent of you would be shocked to find out that if you removed your sunroof and then you removed the sunroof seal you would find very noticeable rust that hasn't yet extended outside of the seal. The other 40 percent would probably find some starting between the spot welds or on the inside of the liner if you actually ever separated it from the outer panel. I did a run refinishing the metal sunroofs at one point and was surprised to find out how much bare metal is on these roofs. They will ALL rust eventually. If you have a sunroof car, get one of these and stash it for when you need it. If this GB doesn't go through, there will not be source for these when that time comes.

#17 ·
Butterflies in my stomach just thinking about not making this one. My sunroof is literally coming apart, and it just falls short of raining in my car. I have shared twice on facebook, the latter to some really disparaging remarks along the lines of "why should I contribute when no one else is" Le huh? How did we get a hood and hatch group buy but the sunroof one is struggling?

Should I share with the mk3 Celica guys too? I literally NEED this to happen D:

#19 ·
You guys can share this wherever you like, but I'm thinking exposure isn't the issue here. I'm looking at the stats on my facebook post and it's been seen by over 10,000 people, click on by 484, shared by 61. I think everyone has done an amazing job of getting the word out and I thank you all for that.

So T...are you saying people don't want to buy...cause nobody is buying? I've heard that logic before and makes no sense. Regardless, we are almost half way there and I'm VERY confident we'll get the numbers we need. There are a few key people in the gauging interest thread who have not yet paid, aaaan there are the standard group of people who always vote on interest threads and never buy too...but I wouldn't worry. If we get close I will do what I can to make this happen.

If its not a rough, "dry" carbon style layup, why would you not be able to just simply apply a coat of primer, sand and then paint? Paint prep wise it should be no more work then repainting a normal, metal sunroof that has no significant paint damage. The surface on my CFX hood and all of the Advan hoods I've seen are a perfectly smooth, wet lay up done with vacuum bagging. Or they doing the sunroofs any different?

I'm tempted to get one of these too just to help this GB succeed. I do have a mk2 with sunroof but I've already got a restored metal one using my techniques for it.

Word to the wise for those of you with "rust free" original, oem sunroofs who think you won't ever need a composite one. I bet you at least 60 percent of you would be shocked to find out that if you removed your sunroof and then you removed the sunroof seal you would find very noticeable rust that hasn't yet extended outside of the seal. The other 40 percent would probably find some starting between the spot welds or on the inside of the liner if you actually ever separated it from the outer panel. I did a run refinishing the metal sunroofs at one point and was surprised to find out how much bare metal is on these roofs. They will ALL rust eventually. If you have a sunroof car, get one of these and stash it for when you need it. If this GB doesn't go through, there will be source for these when that time comes.
Seamus, I have a local friend who bought a MK3 Advan Hood and had it painted and it required "some prep" work. Now that's a hood which has a LOT more surface area and is also easily scrutinized by anyone taller than 3ft tall. I'm not suggesting this can't be done, but at the same time I can't in good faith say that the prep work to paint CF is the same as FG. I've seen first hand that it isn't...it's doable but required a little extra work to make it perfect. Obviously for someone with your skills and experience this is nothing, but some of us might be using body shops that may or may not have folks experienced in work with this material...hence the disclaimer.

#20 ·
I shouldn't need to point who the dumbass was who claimed that was the issue, since I deleted his posts and blocked him for like the 50th time since 2005.

From what I gather from another post I made is that it's just a bad time for people who are broke until tax time, which is usually the same boat I am in.

FWIW My hood is nearing 3 years old and almost all of the gelcoat has faded off. We're going to attempt to "restore" and recoat it again in the next month or so. If all else fails, it will get dipped or wrapped or something. I will probably do the same to the sunroof right out of the box.

#97 ·
FWIW My hood is nearing 3 years old and almost all of the gelcoat has faded off. We're going to attempt to "restore" and recoat it again in the next month or so. If all else fails, it will get dipped or wrapped or something. I will probably do the same to the sunroof right out of the box.
Why don't you just prime and paint it body color?

#25 ·
The seal is easy to remove. 3 or 4 screws along the back and 4 along the side. Note the rear part of the seal has a metal part in it that rust pretty commonly.

Dumb question on the sunroof, but being a different material and likely thicker material are you going to be able to reuse the original screws? There isn't a lot of clearance from the screw tip to the top cover. I made the mistake a long time ago ruining the sunroof on my original supra using the wrong screws in the front corners. Ironically I still have that sun roof almost 20 years later for some weird reason. I can image a lot of pissed off people putting the screws in an busting a hole in the top :D

#26 ·
Depth wise I'm sure the original screws would be fine (I assume you are talking about the screws that hold the seal on). The inner liner and skin may be thicker then steel but that would only increase the clearances. Yeah, don't use longer screws, thats for sure lol.

#29 ·
I wish I had time to go through the "gauging interest post" and ask all those who voted yes why they are now nowhere to be seen. Honestly my biggest pet peeve in life, people who constantly vote that they are interested and NEVER participate in the group buy. I actually have to buy 30, so I'm really sticking to the 22 limit as if we can't get 22 in a group buy then me stocking 10+ makes no sense whatsoever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.