Restoration/buildup section - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pdupler View Post
    It'd be nice to be able to associate a cool build with a real person and not a vague username.
    That's why I followed your lead years ago and put my name in my signature. Helps keep people honest.
    Dean L.
    1985 Toyota Supra - Hidden Content
    1987 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ73
    2007 Lexus LX470

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

How does it keep people honest?

You CAN join up to a forum that charges 20- 40 bucks to get in. Keeps out the riff-raff.
    Simple. Got a De Lorean? Go ahead.
    I'm pushing my buddy to sell his.
    "I want a forum that costs money to join!" That's easy.
    I'm happy here. The information and knowledge that is given FREE WILL is invaluable to all that stumble upon our site.
    Yeah,free is good and then there are those that complain.
    That's OK!
    Be cool,young grasshopper.
    We will still be here.
    Be careful,some bite back.
    I usually don't.
    My ass have been bitten enough to ... Play nice and don't piss anyone off rule is #1.
    Last edited by ddd228; 01-08-2016 at 12:43 PM.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ddd228 View Post
    You CAN join up to a forum that charges 20- 40 bucks to get in. Keeps out the riff-raff.
    Simple. Got a De Lorean? Go ahead.
    I'm pushing my buddy to sell his.
    "I want a forum that costs money to join!" That's easy.
    I'm happy here. The information and knowledge that is given FREE WILL is invaluable to all that stumble upon our site.
    Yeah,free is good and then there are those that complain.
    That's OK!
    Be cool,young grasshopper.
    We will still be here.
    Be careful,some bite back.
    I usually don't.
    My ass have been bitten enough to ... Play nice and don't piss anyone off rule is #1.
    Peace out.(I was nice,so far)
    Seems like a great place, otherwise. I'm looking forward to more learning and sharing advice.
    Last edited by racerxj220; 01-08-2016 at 03:22 PM.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    My personal opinion about what Dave said is that the term he used was not racially motivated at all. Yes, I understand that usually it is. But I know Dave quite well and am sure about what he meant. He is referring to an attitude and that attitude is shared by people of all races. Yes, it's commonly associated with a particular race, but not necessarily exclusively so. And, maybe there is some truth to stereotypes in general. Otherwise, they wouldn't be stereotypes, would they? Surely, no one of reasonable mind believes that any stereotypes apply to every person of that category. And for those that do, there's not much anyone could say or do that would make any difference anyway.
    Sure, he could have taken the time to actually qualify his statement to avoid any misperceptions. But we all have to consider and understand that people that aren't racists aren't necessarily always going to state that up front because it just isn't part of their thought process that what they're stating would offend anyone of like mind.
    Of course anyone and everyone is free to totally disagree about this. It won't matter to me and probably won't to Dave either. He may or may not feel the need to apologize for offending anyone. But only because of how his statement was perceived, not because of how it was meant.
    He's really stating that if anyone wants to remain anonymous, it's their right to do so however they feel is appropriate. I also agree that it's easier to become more familiar with other members when their user name in some way includes some part of the name they're known by. There is way more than enough acronyms in every part of our lives. So the less we have to remember any sort of translation / transform for, the better.
    Sure, there are a few non desirables. It would be foolish to expect none. I'm thankful that it's only a few. Most forums are much worse and eventually evolve into something totally different than what they started like. Over time, things should and do change for many good reasons like having some consistency on certain methods or requirements for certain activity or to become more organized for efficiency. But we all have to be somewhat forgiving of those totally new to many things. A quick example of why would be who would ever guess that the trim pieces in front of the headlights are called whiskers or that putting together a 7M block and 5M head would be called a Frankenstein motor? The answer is absolutely nobody. And none of us knows the proper name of every single part of everything, do we? Many are also new to computers and their online behavior shows that. Certainly a few hints as to what they need to do is not unreasonable. And any complaints about the search function being nearly totally useless should be acknowledged with the suggestion to use site specific Google searches. On the other hand, as much as the search function sucks, I've found a lot of very useful information from these nearly useless searches that isn't related to the search subject in any way that I would never have found otherwise that I'm a bit more tolerant of its main shortcomings. I'm sure not many would agree.
    Noobs need help until they've proven that they can't be helped. We should encourage them to keep asking questions that further their understanding until they get all the way there. That's what they come here for! And if and when they do prove that they're idiots, assholes or just whiney ass bitches, they should be ignored, banned, shunned, killed or whatever is appropriate.
    I always share any and all information that I think will be helpful to anyone and many others do as well. I'm very appreciative of others that share what they know and feel that reciprocating is not only fair but that all knowledge adds to everyones collective understanding and keeps growing for the benefit of all. But I know that everyone doesn't necessarily feel the same way for various reasons. I have no problem at all with that because anyone's reason for acting how they feel they should is none of my business. And even if it was, my personal opinion still wouldn't be relevant to their position. Nevertheless, I think you all know that I say what I mean and mean what I say. Maybe it will change someone's opinion about something or give them something to consider that gives them a better perspective about whatever. I never intend to offend. But I would be totally surprised if certain things i've said or am likely to, aren't taken that way. If so, just say so.
    But I hope the overall feel of this forum doesn't start becoming like so many others have, whether or not there are certain members that don't always behave like some others think they should. Sure, there's a few particular things that piss me off. But generally, those either go away or are dealt with. On the other hand, there's quite a few of us that have that particular wise ass way of responding to some things that I just love! It's one of the real joys of this forum and it just wouldn't be the same without it for me! And any whining about it will not be tolerated! So like The Eagles comeback hit from a few years ago states, "Get Over It!"
    Last edited by ray85p; 01-08-2016 at 08:52 AM.

Dave, I'm interested to know more about you. You are retired, yes? If we can't be friends, there would be no point to really share anything about anything. PM's are always welcome.
    Last edited by racerxj220; 01-08-2016 at 03:24 PM.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Gee, it didn't seem to me that Dave's comments were directed at you and my comments are from that perspective. To me, he seemed to be directing that particular part of his comments at exactly the same folks that you seemed concerned about. And even though I don't know you personally, I know enough about you from your posts and even your user name to know that you are a well respected member as well as very knowledgeable. So I apologize if anything I said offended you. I only meant to offer my opinion for consideration as an alternative take on the situation, no more.
    None of it was meant to be humorous either. Not to you or anyone else. And I wasn't defending anybody or anything. Just offering an alternate meaning and intention based totally on my take from reading this thread. My comments aren't in any way connected to me knowing Dave either. I've made a few similar comments regarding things I've found inappropriate or offensive by folks I don't know at all directed to other folks I don't know.
    I don't think I'm being extremely defensive here at all. But that's my opinion. You are entitled to your opinion as is everyone else and all are equally valid. I usually don't bother to get involved unless it seems to me that things have gotten totally off track. And I always read through everything more than once before I do comment to be sure that my take on it stays the same. Even then, most times I don't comment. And even though I'm very careful to state exactly what I mean in a way that can't be easily misinterpreted, sometimes that's just not good enough and it's exactly why I don't often do this. And why I'm wishing I hadn't this time.
    At this point, I have no idea if your initial concerns have been addressed. I'm wondering if I understood exactly what they were now too.

My question was addressed early in this thread, and I accepted it immediately.

It was already explained that the objective of CS, is an open forum for everyone. I already said I have no problem with that, and am not pushing to change it just for me.

My inquiry and request for discussion only, was not expected to get that kind of result. If I took it out of context, I'm ready to kiss and make up.

There are no issues.
    Last edited by racerxj220; 01-08-2016 at 03:25 PM.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Hug, hug, kiss, kiss, erase, erase! And, a chill pill, two cookies and some ice cream for everyone. Then a nap!

OOPS! My bad if I made someone angry! I had to edit that post so that I wouldn't get in trouble.
    I apologize.Too many beers that evening. I love retirement! I love beer.
    There are some people that won't tolerate some peoples attitudes. Hey,sometimes we have a little fun here. We usually play nice. I was out of line.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

Thread Information