Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Which Motor

GB 2016 AC Kit Interest Poll

28K views 114 replies 39 participants last post by  JCC 
#1 ·
Folks;

since Jim can't post a POLL I'm posting this on his behalf...he will be running this group buy. Any and all questions (with the exception of Canadian Shipping) will go through him and here is the text he gave me:

IMPORTANT: Pricing has not been confirmed for condensers. It all depends on how many kits are actually ordered.

Your vote is public. Only vote if you are going to proceed with the buy.
If you voted and fail to proceed with the GB, your screen name will be prominently listed as a no-show.

Features:
o Supports R134a
o Fits either 5M or 7M motor
o Support for 1J/2J motor
o All new parts. It replaces all parts from the firewall evaporator connectors to compressor.
o Most all replacement parts are easily available.
o Engineered for durability, safety and future serviceability.

What you get
o Brand new compressor (5M or 7M configuration only) o For 1J/2J compressors, possibility of a premium rebuilt NipponDenso with external warranty.
o All new hard and soft lines, o-rings and a squirt bottle of Nylog for o-ring sealing o Inline AC filter.
o High / Low pressure automatic cut off switch.
o Spal low profile fan
o Custom Multi-pass parallel flow condenser

Price
o $950US which includes shipping in the lower 48.
o Possibility for Canadian Shipments will go through George(Raptor Racing). Extra fees will apply.

Spare Parts for any existing kit
o Condenser: $115 + shipping
o New Seltec Compressor $250 + shipping

Production Schedule
I can only say that this project would be completed this summer. I’m guessing sometime in August. So you’ll get to enjoy 2-3 months of AC comfort.
Then when it rains, you will have the fastest defogger.

Notes
The price went up for various reasons. Several AC parts suppliers and fabricators I used before are no longer in business.
Plus I have to outsource a good amount of this.

1/2JZ buyers do not get a compressor in this kit. They need to secure their own NipponDenso compressor.

Improvements since last kit
o Revised drier bracket.
o All lines welded (not brazed)
o Improved mating connector between evaporator and EPR.

Voting options
o 5/6M
o 7M
o 1JZ / 2JZ

See less See more
#94 ·
Yep. I'll probably try and bring mine back from the dead.
I have a new receiver/drier, some NOS R-12, and my son's friend the Toyota Tech has said he'd be happy to come over, pump it down, and check it for leaks. If it's tight we'll fill it with the R-12 I've collected, and hope for the best.

- Jim

#101 ·
The only reason I suggested closing this thread is the last update was 5 months ago...and then other discussion and sale options were popping up. I hope Jim is OK but is there anyone, George or Jim, that can provide an update? If it doesn't seem possible again, let's just close the darn thing and try again later. With as long as it has been, do we really believe that all those that voted are really still in anyway?

...just a thought.

#102 ·
I had good luck converting my standard a/c to R-134a last summer. I was surprised at how well it worked. Car is in storage, so soon I'll know if the charge held through the winter. The tech who did it said he charged by weight, not by pressure readings. He did a system evac, changed the receiver dryer and refill of R-134a by weight using the standard conversion ratio, if I remember correctly.

#110 ·
That is the best way to do it By weight, if you do it by gauges you can be off as much as 4 oz. After the charge is correct then you can check to see if you have too much or to little oil charge, it must be about 90 degree's outside to do this if the compressor is over a 140 degree's add 1oz oil and check again, if the compressor is under a 100 degree's your getting ready to slug it you have too much oil. Any question pm me.

James

#103 ·
Hello guys,
Just see this thread right now. I'm not sure I need a full new kit conversion because my AC works perfectly and it been converted to the nex gaz yet. But I have a probleme: the dehydrator (not sure if it is the word!?) has a leak. If can just change this part, it would be better.
Does any body now where I can find one?
In case I don't find one, I would be interested by a full new kit...

#104 ·
I think you are referring to the drier. It's the Coke can sized thing in front of the condenser. They're common sources of leaks and, at least here in the US, quite cheap, On the order of $10 - $25. Maybe you can order one from Rock Auto. You will have to have your system evacuated and recharged when changing it. Do Not open the new drier until the moment it's being installed or you'll need another new one!

#108 ·
If you just want it to "work" you just need to make two hoses that go from the compressor to the condenser and the cross over tube. The JZ hoses are the block style and the Mk2 stuff is standard tube O fitting. I just cut off the crimp fittings and welded a tube O fitting on the JZ hose end. You can then make a hose with standard fittings For wiring the VVTIs have the 4 pin AC compressor connector. Find the wire that goes to the clutch and connect it to Mk2 wire.

If you want to upgrade things and make an AC kit you can buy a generic condenser and dryer on ebay that look almost identical to the ones in the kit. The condenser I have in my car is a 12x24 and the dryer buy one of the smaller ones. Most of the hoses that came in the kit are recreations of the stock ones so technically speaking you don't need them. You'll need to plumb up the dryer and the two lines from the compressor.

#109 ·
I just cut off the crimp fittings and welded a tube O fitting on the JZ hose end.
You don't even need to go that far. Just take the stock mk2 lines, and whatever you have of the JZ ones, cut the crimp fittings off (but be very careful not to damage the actual connectors underneath, slip the JZ connectors for the compressor side into the same hose, fit it all on the car and clock everything right, and mark the line to connectors with some pen. Then take it to an AC shop and they can cut some new hose, slip the mk2 and JZ connectors onto the new hose, and copy the same clocking you have marked, then use new crimps on the old connectors and it works like a hot damn.

#113 ·
I think this died, but if it comes back, I am interested in a kit for the 7mgte, and likely the 2jzgte, and maybe even the 5mge if i cannot find a 1st gen celica for my 6m build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.