1985 Celica Chump/WRL build - Page 49

Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member revvhappy's Avatar
    Sweet. I won't know many people at NCM and it will be good to have friendly faces nearby. We may only have three drivers and no crew and might ask for someone to hold a fire bottle occasionally.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by revvhappy View Post
    Sweet. I won't know many people at NCM and it will be good to have friendly faces nearby. We may only have three drivers and no crew and might ask for someone to hold a fire bottle occasionally.
    Of course. I will always help when needed.
    1985 Celica GTS Endurance Race Car
    Chump/WRL
    Raleigh, NC

my other car is an AH-64D

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Windows made. I bought acrylic the first time. That stuff SUCKSSSSSS

[IMG]18575202_10154578261738027_806761736_o[/IMG]
    Chump/WRL
    Raleigh, NC

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Finished everything up today.

Rear window:

Had some help doing a few things...

Then on the trailer for the next four weeks:

Revv, you should ask Paulie to drive a stint in your car. It would be good publicity if you only have three drivers lined up.

Prob won't be on here a bunch the next couple weeks. Look forward to positive entries on here after NCM.
    Chump/WRL
    Raleigh, NC

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Have fun! The blue looks good
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I'll be ho,e in a few days. Ordered a few more spare parts, and set up a live tuning session for the car to make sure the engine is running as it should, and I can leave it in the trailer.

Thursday I'll be off to NCM. As of now here is a 60% chance of thunderstorms. Oh well, we will see what we can do. We are also pitting with or near Peter (Revv), so that will be fun. the link to live feed will be here thanks to Bill Strong (http://https://live.racecast.me/profile/592580b94559211dd664674c). Yes he has a sense of humor of my car.

I'll keep you guys up to date, but check the Facebook page during the weekend. I am hoping it goes smoothly.
    Chump/WRL
    Raleigh, NC

CelicaSupra.com Member
    National Corvette Museum Recap:

I don't know where to begin.....

Friday: We showed up Thursday night after a 11 hour drive (with food of course). Unloaded the car and got some sleep. Friday was test day. Right off the bat we were black flagged for the exhaust being too load. 104 db with a 103 max. We find later I had blown some gaskets but we tried to make it work with whatever we had. The second issue was an AN fitting I installed was leaking. That was an easy fix. We kept working without getting any really good track time. I only had 5 laps at half speed. The big problem of the weekend popped up. We were leaking oil from the rear of the engine. I was really unhappy. Another problem I had was that the diff axle seals were incorrect. I was given the heads up that they may be the wrong size, but it wouldn't leak until race speeds. So the tranny and diff had to come out so we would find the oil problem and fix the diff. Once the tranny was out, we pulled the flywheel off and the rear main looked great, but the bolts looked like they were seeping oil (I hope you see where I am going with this). That took me until midnight to fix.

Saturday: Race 1. We started the race 5 laps down because my shifter didn't seem to want to work. I made that bit#$ work and got Bill Strong out in the car. 30-45 minutes in and he told me the clutch was slipping. It was a brand new clutch. We brought him in to find more oil coming from the back of the engine. I was so unhappy. We pulled the engine and tranny (second time) and found that the rear main seal's spring was broke on the inside. Mother F#^%#$! We got the car back out for 30 minutes left in the race. Car was running well. I prepped the car that night and got some shut eye. My body was hurting and I hadn't raced yet.

Sunday: Race 2. We started 3rd. Mike Helm, our A driver for the weekend was first up. He had not done a lap yet but 3-4 on the test day. He made it to second to follow the leader with a friend in Crank Yankers Racing. It lasted 2 laps as he missed a shift and spun, thankfully not being hit. After about an hour he said he was burning up in the car. I had the coolsuit on, but I prob didn't put enough ice packs in. He complained about the heat again, and we started to think of ideas. We found a bunch of Gatorade bottles and taped them together for air and pitting him to tape it on. It helped, but he was already too hot. We pitted him again to swap out. We put Bill Strong in the car and after all that we were about 3 or 4 laps down. We had a lot of speed, but things happen like that. Mike was burning up when he got out. Giants fall sometimes. It happens.

Bill did great during his stint but complained about the clutch no longer working (I find out later it is due to the pedal stop backing out. seriously. That is my weekend lol) so he started doing the whole course in 4th gear. Best part? He picked up about 4 seconds doing it.

Weather was going to be a factor Sunday. I happened to look up after about an hour and a half with Bill in the car, and saw a full course yellow flag come out. Lightening was coming. We immediately pitting Bill to try and fuel him and driver swap. We swapped and got John Hurley out before the pit car brought the field down pit road. This was a huge break and the thoughts came from Troy Trulio, a friend racing with CYR, but they broke and he spent the day with us. Ultimately, we would get two laps back for this move. We were sitting 9th while the ceiling poured.

We had about 1.5 hours of red flag time. John took the restart and did awesome having never really raced in the rain, and only the 30 minutes from Saturday on the course. He spun once, but by the looks of how loose everyone was out there, he did amazing. We had to pit for a least driver before the race ended, but considered not taking fuel, but we would not have finished in top 10 (my number one goal of the weekend) if we ran out.

We took fuel and I hopped in with 25 minutes to go. I was scared. The track was drying out, but it was still damp and I had 0 time on the course. But my blood was going. with 1 minute on 10th place as we were in 9th, I started studying as quickly as I could. The winner from the day before passed me with about 5 laps to go, and I stayed with him taking his line. Best part? I could have passed him if I wanted to. The car was that fast. I beat Bill's FTOD on my second to last lap and it was easy. I say that, not for my own talent, but for what this car could do if the drivers are prepped, and I make a few adjustments.

We finished 8th, and set the seventh FTOR. It felt like a win. After all we had been through the past two days, it was a great feeling to take a checkered flag and meet all my goals for the weekend. I was elated. We also took home a trophy for our perseverance all weekend. Chump put on a great race.

I could not have had the success yesterday if it wasn't for my team. They never complained, but got dirty and went to work. They also are all way better mechanics than myself, and I needed them all weekend. Peter and the Hong North team, you guys are awesome and I am glad to finally see you in action. It was my pleasure to help you guys out (I want a part of that trophy lol).

Atlanta Motorsports Park is next up in October. I will see if I can squeeze another one in before then, but prob not. We qualified for the Chumpionship that weekend, so we can't wait.

Our last pitstop.

http://<iframe src="https://www.face...rue"></iframe>
    Chump/WRL
    Raleigh, NC

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Aw, new car teething issues. Sounds like you guys pulled thru, good show!
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

CelicaSupra.com Member
    First video with Bill strong on Saturday morning. More video from Sunday to come; although, the GoPro stopped before the last two stints. Mother F#$#%#!!!!!!!!! lol

Chump/WRL
    Raleigh, NC

CelicaSupra.com Member revvhappy's Avatar
    The engine sounds great when Bill isn't stabbing at the throttle like a caveman

It must be nice to have the ability to shoot by other cars with the throttle! The Celica is going to be a rocket on fast tracks.

Thanks again for letting me "rent" the two wheels/tires - we wouldn't have done as well without them, especially in the rain.

Thread Information