Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

FS- 1983 L-Type Automatic Hardtop 113k miles *Clean* CA

5K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  ddd228 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey gang!

This is my first post in a few years and welp, it's in the for sale section. I've been surfing Craigslist for a while off and on looking for a replacement for my '85 P-Type that I had oh about nearly 10 years ago and I came upon this rad L-Type and bought it sorta on a whim. I flew to Portland to visit my brother, then picked this guy up and drove her home back down to the SF Bay Area and didn't skip a beat. So now I'm torn, I really don't need it, in fact I really should get rid of this and my other vehicle, my fairly clean '87 4Runner as I need something to tow with for a business I'm trying to start this year. So I'm going to list the 4Runner for sale and selling this L-Type before I get too attached to it would be the prudent thing to do, so here we are. I'm listing it here well before craigslist or the like as I would much prefer to have it find a caring home with somebody who knows what it is and this car's care and feeding, vs somebody that will have there kid drive it into the ground.

Behold! 1983 Toyota Celica Supra L-Type Automatic hardtop
114k original miles
3C2 Metallic Maroon with Terra Cotta Cloth interior
Digi-dash up in dis piece!

Pros (outside of the above):
--Bone ass stock, original owner until 2013 with lots of paper work back until about 2003
--In that paperwork includes new timing belt, full tune up, and alternator all within the past 5k miles
--also done (past owner still searching for the paperwork) at Toyota dealership is about $1500 in maintenance including new battery, new tires, all new fluids, cooling system flush and brakes all within the last 1500 miles
--all that new stuff you can feel when driving and braking, feels very good on the road
--all original paint and body, and out side of a few door dings and marks, is in excellent shape
--all original interior in very good shape, little sign of wear and tire outside of some marks on steering wheel leather, which is also in better then average shape
--runs fantastically, drove from Seaside, OR to my home in Martinez, CA in an 11 hour straight shot at 70mph-ish without a complaint or hic-up. Returned around 28mpg pure hwy
--very solid, less squeaks/rattles/shimmies then my wife's 2011 Kia Sportage

Cons:
--little rust, not bad at all for a beachtown car, but there is some repairable rust in the underside of the hatch and in the L quarter at the bottom where the lower moulding mounts. No other rust concerns, see photos
--hose clamps, brake booster, EGR Dashpot, and other exposed raw metal bits in the engine bay have surface rust. Effects nothing and I'm being picky here but it makes the engine bay look way more run down than it is
--PS pump is whiny, I might swap this out, or flush fluids as it's loaded up with PS fluid and not ATF. Easy fix (hence why I might just do it)
--OEM radio has the fuse pulled. In the original owner's reciepts it states that they did some minor wiring repair and pulled the stereo fuse due to a short. Haven't popped a new fuse in, might need a stereo
--also the HVAC blower motor doesn't power on, might be related to the above fuse issue but haven't looked into it yet. Even if it's a bad motor, it's an easy fix
--fuel gauge always reads 3/4 of a tank. I've only gotten like 9 gallons deep into a full tank, so maybe it will move when it's nearly empty, but I doubt it
--belt for the A/C compressor is missing, likely it needs a Compressor but no clue, if you live in Seaside, OR you don't need A/C.
--Hard to start after cold soaking for a night or two. Seems like fuel is leaking out of the fuel rail and back into the tank after sitting for a long time. I will start every time, just take a bit of cranking and a couple tries if it's been sitting a while. Warms starts instantly every time.

All told it a sweet L-type, quite the highway cruiser and turns heads with the condition that it's in. I'm asking ***$3000 FIRM*** and it's yours in Martinez, CA. Might be down to trade for a decent FJ60 Land Cruiser, T-100 or the like. Check out the photos and please feel free to poach some of the photos for the Paint/Trim code FAQ.

See less See more
#2 ·
Great photos! Great car and the rust is minimal,indeed.Low miles and well taken care of. Oregon plates on a California car. I may pass the STAR,too!28MPG is outstanding.
Thanks for posting.:thumbsup:

#3 ·
Yeah, the 28 MPG freaked me out too, my '85 P-Type auto got maybe 25 mpg max, but I feel like it's easy to get that kinda MPG out of a well tuned stock 5M on pure hwy driving.

Also of note is that this has axle code F292, which (correct me if I'm wrong) is a 4.10 open rear. I thought that '83 autos had a 3.737 rear but this has 4.10 gears.

So some back story on the history of this car. So The original owner was a retired Air Force Capt who bought the car in California (it's a Cal emissions car and I have a copy of an ins card from 2001 that shows it still in CA). He had it in Florence, OR starting in around 2002 until 2013 and in that time he averaged 500 mile a year from 2002 to 2013. His wife passed and this car was their weekend car, he had a Ford Explorer and no longer needed the L-Type. He then gifted the L-Type to the second owner who knew the OG owner and he took it to give it to his son. Before giving it to his son he took it to Toyota and had it completely gone through and about $1600 into it for all new fluids, new brakes, new tires, and all. Well the son drove it around town (read small town) for about a year and put a few hundred miles on it and then decided that he didn't want it. Second owner then sold it to third owner who also bought it for his son, this was about summer 2015. That son didn't want it (kids these days!) moved out of state for school and left the Supra with dad. Dad sold it to me, I drove it from Florence to Seaside at my brother's place (4 hours north up hwy 101) then after the superbowl drove it home 800 miles to my house in Martinez, CA. Still has the OR state plates and title at this time.

#10 ·
Hey Gang, she's still around, had up on the eBay w/o any bites. I have since found out that the EGR valve is bad, holds no vacuum at all so I'll be swapping that out this week and it should then pass CA smog. If anyone wants to buy it before I do that work and spend the $ to get it smogged I'll let her go for $3250. Great if you're out of state and don't need to worry about CA smog or the EGR in general. Fly in, drive her home, she'll make the drive I'm sure.

#15 ·
Nope, I'm still trying to track down a good EGR valve. Only rebuilt ones I can find are the '85 and up style ones and it seems that the '83 style is basically a one year only style that I've yet to come across. I've been crazy busy to try and track one down but I've got a few feelers out there. anyone know if the EGR valves are the same year to year with the supra on the Cressidas? There's a guy parting out an '83 Cressida locally.

The hunt and the sale continues.

#16 ·
YES!!!! WOW! Light show at night.
That is worth the price of admission.
Great photos,BTW.

The third one is calendar worthy. Easy to crop into a square. 2018?
Tanya?
'83 Cressy EGR may work for ya.
I just went through EGR hell with my '84. Thanks,Ray.
In Cali-fornika,it may be missing from your chosen parts car.

#17 ·
Yeah the guy parting out his '83 Cressy doesn't have an EGR, so the hunt continues. I just had myself a baby boy and need to move the Supra to make room for something more family friendly (just picked up a rough Saab 9-2x Aero).

#19 ·
Ok Gang!

Really need to move her ASAP, I'm out of room.

$3000 FIRM and it's yours! Out of state? Fly in and I'll pick you up from the Oakland airport, drive her home, make a trip of it!

#21 ·
Update!

ray85p came through in the clutch and scored me a good EGR valve. If the rain stays away and the newborn lets me I'm hoping to get it installed and get the intake cleaned out ASAP and smogged for Cali this week!

Oh, and she's still available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.