Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

been a long long time

9K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Gargravarr 
#1 ·
hello all,

some may remember me, most will not.

i was young and dumb at 19-20 years old, not making alot of money, living at home, zero responsibilities etc when i had the pleasure of owning a 86 SDR MK2. i am now 32 years old and still think of this car often and miss the driving experience, and most importantly memories made in that car. I simply did not know what i had and wish i still had the car in my life. I ended up selling the car to a member on here LnumbP- he transformed the car into something i wish i could have at the time. What prompted this post is that i test drove a BRZ a few weekends ago and even tho the numbers were right and would have been a good deal and was a somewhat fun car to drive on the twisty back roads where i live, i had to hand the keys back to the dealership. It just wasn't the same as the MK2 and left me thinking of my old car even more. Now at 32, injured, home owner etc, I am a manufacturing engineer, (i produce ultra high precision parts for formula one cars and parts for medical and analytical industries). I have been stashing money away for years in hopes to find a clean example to put back in my garage. I am very happy to see the MK2 scene is still alive and well. To all my north east guys i hope all is well and hope to hear from you guys! Currently driving my mothers old 98' Toyota Avalon that just hit 197k, has never let me down not even once over the past 6+ years driving it daily. just wanted to say hi to everyone, stay rad my friends.

some very old pictures, brings a tear to my eye.

Andrew

See less See more
#4 ·
There are a few project cars on SF BAY AREA CL: 83 auto, 84 manual and Reno CL...white 83 no interior. Not sure if you are stuck on the 85 SDR, which are rare. Good thing about Cali cars is lack of rust.

#5 ·
Not sure if you are stuck on the 85 SDR, which are rare.
Not really. I think SDR is probably the most common color for 85s actually, and 85s sold quite well compared to other years. I have owned 5 different ones over the years, even have one for sale right now (though a sale is pending).

Welcome back Andrew! Is your handle the same as when you joined in 2005?

#7 ·
I remember your avatar!

Perfect example of why I never sold mine...
Same here.
If you are patient, for sure a nice one with be available within driving range. It may take a year, but they do pop-up once ib a while.

#8 ·
Welcome back. Don't wait too long to buy one again or it'll be like my age cohort trying to buy back the 60s muscle cars we regret what WE did to in the 80s. They aren't part-time summer job money anymore. Good luck.

#10 ·
i would really love the thought of buying back my car, although in rough condition now with listed rust issues, i have close friends who own a fabrication shop in media pa so any metal work is no problem at all. i'm not looking for a restoration project, would be a potential drift, auto cross, fun street car project is what i'm looking to achieve . hoping the seller contacts me soon.

#12 ·
Welcome back!

Hope you can find one to your liking. I'd always wanted one since they came out in 1982, but I'd just moved to California in '82, wasn't real sure about the job situation, then I got married, had a kid, bought a house, got divorced, yadda-yadda-yadda, and finally bought one three years ago (been that long already?!?) as my retirement gift to myself.

I regret that I never even went to a dealership in '82 to look at one, and test drive one.

- Jim

#15 ·
Welcome back to the scene! The mk2 is comfortably on its way to becoming a true classic car, it's earned its reputation and the strong community built around it remains here.

I got my mk2 when I was 23 - it's been in the family since I was 16. This year will be the 4th year I've owned it. As soon as I took it onto the road for the first time, I fell in love with it and swore never, ever to sell it. No partner or kids so I can dump all my spare cash into it :D

Good luck getting a replacement. Who knows, one day you might sit behind the wheel of your original car again, especially if it's a member on here who still owns it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.