Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

First Car, first Supra. 1983!

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  drjim 
#1 ·
Hello CelicaSupra.com! I recently bought my first car for 1,050 USD. It needs a new muffler and I need to bolt down the drivers seat becuase it's being held down by a bolt or two. Pretty much everything on the car is stock and I plan to mostly keep it that way. It even comes with the stock radio which I plan to put back in. I have a few basic questions but first more about me for y'all.

I am in my last year of highschool planning to pursue a degree in digital photography. Other than my growing interest in cars I'm an avid mountain biker and snowboarder. Not really much else other than that.

As for my questions. How does one turn the defrost on/does anyone have a photo of the cover for all the controls? I need to get one but don't know what it's called and the defrost could be useful being I live in New England. Also, the headlights, they go up and down manually but I can't find a control for them(don't know if there is supposed to be). Other than that I'm looking forward to getting her back on the road and making her pretty again.

Thanks!

Keagen_

#2 ·
Welcome to CS.com You're pretty daring to step into a 30+yr old car for your first ride, but you chose well...congrats!

Probably need a blower motor resistor, etc. This site is full of essential info, but you'll have to search. I predict you'll have a steep learning curve ahead, even twisties, but it will be fun...good luck with your ride!

#9 ·
Welcome to CS.com You're pretty daring to step into a 30+yr old car for your first ride, but you chose well...congrats!
You'll learn alot working on the car (whether you want to or not, so its good that you do), haha :)
If I were king or dictator, every teenager would get their first car the same way I did. My dad towed home a $150 non-runner and said quote "Son, if you can fix it, you can drive it." That ought to part of the criteria for getting a drivers license.

99,999 drivers out of 100,000 have absolutely no idea what happens under the hood to make their trip possible and are completely at the mercy of the stealership or indy mechanic when something goes wrong. A few years ago when my brother's wife had cancer, he didn't have time to repair his own car and took it to the Toyota dealership for a slight miss and check engine light. They called him a few hours later, gave him a list of repairs and wanted $2,800. My brother said, "No, I don't want the car overhauled, I just want the problem fixed that I brought it in for." They called him back a few hours later with five items and it was going to be $1,200. This time "No, out of the five, only two could possibly be related." Again the service rep said he'd have to talk with the technician. After several more calls, my brother deduced that the only thing that was still on the list was the plug wires. So he told them just replace the plug wires which were $95 plus diagnostic fee and installation, total around $160. Problem fixed. Mechanics know that most people haven't a clue and are in such a hurry and desperate to get their car back that they won't bother to come get it and take to someone else for a second opinion. Most people would have paid them the $2,800 for the $160 fix.

Keagan, even if cars don't become a lifelong hobby for you like it is for most of us on this forum, by learning to keep your cheap 33-year old Supra going, you will have saved yourself tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. Mechanics will never be able to take advantage of your ignorance and even more savings when you can make a car repair yourself. Dave posted a link the repair manual online. I learned back when you checked out books from a physical library and there are many good books on the subject of auto repair. Maybe ask Santa for a metric tool set to get you started. Tools, a little basic knowledge and the internet are all you need.

#5 ·
The headlights pop up by twisting the turn signal lever. The blower motor is on the right side , below the dash. Remove the lowest dash, plastic, unplug the motor and put a tester to see if you are getting power. But first, buy or view a pic of the heater controls cover plate. The blower lever is bottom left, though. The blower test info, of course , only applies if you find the blower does not work.

#6 ·
pop-ups:
when turn signal stark end control fully back: down and lights off.(position 0)
turning 1 step : nothing happens (this position is to maintain them up, when already up)
one more step (position 2) parking lamps all around)
up to last step (position 3) they should pop up and illuminate.
going back to 2: stay up, but hoeadlamps off.
going back to 1, stay up, no more lights /headlamps.
going back to 0, should come down.

#10 ·
You're right there, Phil. I made it my mission a long time ago to do whatever possible whenever possible to do my own fix even if it meant buying special tools. I figured DIY saved what it cost to buy those tools. Eventually I learned it's much easier to buy a decent car that doesn't need a whole lot of work to keep it running...but still happy have the knowhow to fix if it does (due to Toyota reliability and regular maintenance, that seldom happens).

#11 ·
Good tools are great! A set of metric wrenches,you can almost wear out,if they don't snap off.

Ask Santa for ONE WRENCH. A long Snap-On 10 mm combo and don't loan it out!
Flank drive! It is the best wrench.... ever,IMO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Snap-On-Tools-10mm-Metric-Flank-Drive-Chrome-Combo-Wrench-SOEXM10-/311591873246?hash=item488c52aade:g:cJ0AAOSwUUdXD~np
Sometimes,a HF tool is not good enough.

We can help you with repairs and diagnostics,but you have to do the work your self.
WTF does this thing do,etc.
Maybe a 10 X 12 double box.
You can build your tool selection as you need 'em.
I been doing car work all of my life and there is over 1,000 pounds of them in my basement.
Gotta have a box to put 'em in!
OK,I'm bragging.
TOOLS!!!!
[URL=http://s514.photobucket.com/user/ddd228/media/temporary-48.jpg.html][/URL]

You just cannot work on your Supra with a sharp stick and a rock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.