Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

What is the best clutch?

10K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  ma61_turbo 
#1 ·
OK, I am looking for some feedback on this issue. I had a chance to briefly drive a mk2 with an ACT 6 puck and I wasn't real keen on the on/off type action. I would like something that will hold up to 300 rwhp and can be feathered when needed.....maybe that doesn't exist. I have always heard that Clutchmasters was one of the best to get. What do you think is the best clutch brand and type? Thanks.

#3 ·
ACT and Clutchmasters are a two good clutch companies...

I have a Centerforce Stage III Dual-Friction and it is still holding... there is a post in yahoo list about the centerforce break in a thousand miles

I am still on a research on TRD clutches from Japan... and I already called a local TRD distributor and still waiting results from TRD USA about this...

Jay

#5 ·
Center Force II or III dual friction is the way to go. I had mine on the 6M and now the turbo and still holding. Mine is only the Center Force II not dual friction but I'm going dual when this one goes. Almost 100,000 miles!

#7 ·
So a couple of you are running Centerforce with turbos, any idea how much rwhp or torque you are putting out? If I recall correctly, it seems like the Centerforce costs about half as much as a Clutchmasters...

No one is rulling a LUK clutch in their modded mk2?

#8 ·
82Spearco said:
So a couple of you are running Centerforce with turbos, any idea how much rwhp or torque you are putting out? If I recall correctly, it seems like the Centerforce costs about half as much as a Clutchmasters...

I think I'm about 220 or so at the wheels. It holds very well even with the miles on it.

#9 ·
82Spearco said:

Trap speeds of 110 to 112 = @300hp ? THATS NOT ENOUGH!

#13 ·
82Spearco said:

Chad, you do get used to the act 6 puck, but to put things into perspective for your Rupinder is using a Luk clutch on is 700+rwhp mk3 with little complaint. He's thinking to upgrade now, but that's all he's used. Keep this in mind when making your decision. HTH.

#14 ·
MKIIBeater said:
Come on man I dont want to spend 600 dollars on a clutch. Can you tell me which I should get? I hvae a 6m turbo and I want to know if I should get a 5M or 7M clutch for my car....thanks

Austin

Come on man...didn't you read my whole post clearly? I said if you have the cash...the McLeod's is dope. BUT!!!! there is an alternative. Use the ACT pressure plate (P/N T-021, $197.32 at HorsepowerFreak.com), and the HorsepowerFreaks disc for a MR2 Turbo (P/N HPF Disk 21s235mmS , $299). The MR2 uses the same diameter and spline sizes. Yes it comes out to about 500 bucks, but you'd probably pay a bit more for a CenterForce or ClutchMasters clutch with less holding power and smoothness. I been through a few clutches with my 6MGTE, some pricey..some not....and I can honestly say....you get what you pay for. And oh yeah..I have tried a LUK clutch....okay at 8psi....fried on a 10psi launch.

#15 ·
Also forgot to add...that the 5/6/7MGE clutches are in most cases all identical...with matching part numbers. They are the same diameter and spline size. So no..there is no diff in surface area. Also....a 700rwhp 7MGTE doesn't mean much to us. With the R154 clutch being vastly different (pull type like a 2JZ), you just can't use that as an example. A LUK clutch maybe great for the MK3, but it's not just the brand that makes the diff, itz the entire clutch design. This is one reason I'm switching over to a R154, for the vast availability of strong and quality clutches, and the overall beefiness.

#16 ·
FWIW I used a custom-built 7M-GE clutch with increased clamp and normal full-face clutch plate. It cost me AU$390 and it was almost enough to handle the torque of a boosted 2JZ. For lesser engines like a 6M-GTE this setup would be quite sufficient, and it's much cheaper than the options listed above!

For my current setup I simply replaced the clutch plate with a 5-puck ceramic item, and it's handling the power just fine (apparently it's good for 550+ hp). If I'd bought this in the first place the whole setup would have been AU$490.

#17 ·
I'm running a sprung centre brass button on my 7mgte. It's not a paddle/puck style clutch, it's almost a full face actually, it's basically a full disc with a number of "buttons" spread around the edge of the disc. Cost me $400AU when i bought it about 2.5 years ago. good for 400rwhp I'm told :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.