Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

5m-ge to 6m-ge swap. What do I need?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  RobMK2 
#1 ·
Hey, I just found this group and was reading some of the posts... you guys really know what you're talking about. anyway, I have a 85' p-type with a HIGH mileage 5m-ge (390,000kms!) and although I'm convinced this thing will run forever, it tends to burn oil at idle and the compression is down in cylinders 3 and 4. :(

I contacted Japan Direct about sending me a 6m-ge for the car and they quoted me $795 plus shipping (is this a decent price?) so I'm curious as to what parts I need other than the 6m-ge to preform the swap.

Thanks for your help!

#3 ·
6m swap

Hey,
Nice to see that you have found an enjoy the site.
I have done the conversion. It wasn't hard. The engine will run a little lean with your 85 computer, but its easily fooled to richen up the mixture.
I hear that you can replace the injectors to 210cc's to help this. Personally I tricked the computer but letting it think that it was running coolder than it actually was. I did this by simply placing a 1500 ohm resister in the temp sensor feed located near the thermostat.
You will also need to keep the oil pan from your 5m and place it on your 6m.
The 6 m engine doesn't have an EGR therefore you may also need it and the intake plenum. (depending on enviorment control in your area).
Other than that. The engine will bolt right in.
Hope this helps.
P.S. I went from 128 rwhp to 165 rwhp just from this swap. A good insentive don't you think?!!.
Later.
Mark

#4 ·
Right on, im definately doing this. Im up in Canada BC so no EGR = no problem, and I had already installed the trim pot in the coolant sensor last year.

thanks a lot guys
be sure to look foreward to seeing a fresh MK2 in the pics section once I help it recover from its recent crash :? I wouldn't dare post one now... it is still naked :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.