Need new tires for the for the '81. What to get? [Archive] - Toyota CelicaSupra Forums

: Need new tires for the for the '81. What to get?

Josh=MK1
06-12-2006, 12:01 AM
This week I am getting new front and back suspension and I will also need new tires. I have noticed several pictures of the MK1's with white lettering, did they come from the factory like this?
What do you all suggest? Also can it handle slightly bigger tires? Just wondering as for I would like to get new treads within the next couple of weeks.

Dangerous Ken
06-12-2006, 12:28 AM
Well are you going to keep the stock Mk1 rims?
I think they were 5.5" wide? and the stock tire size was 195/70/R14.
Same as a MkII L type by the way and that tire size is abundant and cheap.

I have the MkII P types mounted on my Mk1. They are 7" wide and have 215/60/R14 size tires on it. Handles much better.

I think an even wider tire will fit in the rear of the Mk1, and in a few weeks I'll be test fitting an 8" wide rim to determine what offsets are needed there.

Ken

CJSREDPRA
06-12-2006, 02:59 AM
Josh,

White letters are more of a personal preference. Personally, for a MKI, I think it makes the car look sportier... That's just me.

The MKI's originally all had blackwall tires. The 1 exception was the 81 Performance Package option, which had the whiteletter Dunlop SP Radials, according to my 81 Sales Brochure.

Anywho..... I just spent the last 45 minutes looking around at a couple of the "major" tire companies that I know that used to have "good" white letter tires. (Yokohama, Goodyear, Dunlop, B.F. Goodrich & Firestone). The results are looking dim....

1. I was "hoping" that Yokohama & Dunlop would still have something in the stock 195/70/14 size in a white letter. Not anymore.

2. Goodyear. 4 years ago, Goodyear used to have the Wingfoot HP's in a white letter in this size. Unfortunately, the Wingfoot HP has been discontinued. Only thing they have right now in a white letter, is the Eagle NASCAR #1. but the only thing they have in a 14" size, is a 225/70... That's a bit large for a 5.5" wide wheel & it will throw your speedo reading off. If it was available in a 225/50/14.... (yeah right). A good +1 size would be a 205/60 or 205/65/14, but that size is not available in this model.

3. I knew LAST YEAR, Firestone used to have the Firehawk Indy 500 in the stock size. Even though they were rather "rock hard" (with a 500AB UTQG rating), it was a decent looking white letter tire. According to Firestone's website, the 195/70/14 in the Firehawk Indy 500 has been discontinued.

4. This is where things get interesting..... B.F. Goodrich's website is STILL listing the Radial TA as being available in the 195/70/14 size. However, when I ordered mine 4 years ago (from Discount Tires), I was told that the tire size was being discontinued in the Radial TA & there were not many left. I would call & ask. Hopefully, Canadian Tire or someone else up in your neck of the woods would have this information somewhere???

Can it handle a bigger size??? If you are keeping the stock aluminum wheels, a "plus 1" size would be a 205/65 size. "plus 2" would be a 215/60 (like what Ken mentioned).

Another option would be doing a wheel upgrade. The 15 x 6" L-Type wheels from the US 85 L-Type MKII would be a good choice. The stock tire size was the 205/65/15. Problem with this option is FINDING these wheels up in Canada, as the L-Type MKII was discontinued after 83.

So..... choices are slim as far as white letters in the stock size. Good Luck Josh!!!

Tanya
06-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Dayton Daytona SR
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tireselector/index_bs.asp

P185/60R14
P195/60R14
P215/70R14

all have approved rim widths of 5.5-7"

what their white letters look like
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/TanyasMkII/Whitey/06shopped.jpg

I also found Dayton Quadra SE in size
P205/70R14

Found these tires that make a P195/70/14

Bridgestone Turanza EL400
Dayton Grenadier PLE
Firestone FR380

BillyM
06-12-2006, 11:09 AM
es100's, screw white lettering, goooooo performance!

205-60-14 $7x ish

(what I'd do, is pick up a set of l-type 15x6's and clean em up real good.... Those things look pure-sex on an mk1)

--billyM

Josh=MK1
06-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Thank you all. And again Chris you blow me away with your in depth knowledge and research to various questions asked. I am grateful and I also feel guilty having spend so much time into research.
Anyway, I plan on keeping the factory rims. As for the lettering, I also like the sporty look. My plan was to get the struts, shocks and springs on this week but am having difficulty finding springs. I will call Toyota tomorrow. Would springs from something else fit? So once I get the saggy old girl a little higher off of the ground, I will see if I have clearance for one tire size bigger and then go for an allignment.

bhill81
07-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Hey Josh,

read about your problems with the new purchase - too bad. i'll keep my eyes out for another one for you in my travels...

anyway - any luck with the springs/shocks/tires? I'd like to know how you made out with these items as i'll probably need to do the same soon.

hope all is well, i still intend to get down your way soon, been crazy busy with work lately...

thx

brian

Josh=MK1
07-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Yes Brian, the Shocks and struts were no problem, the springs on the other hand took a bit of digging. KW Spring in Kitchener were able to fix me up $200 for both front and back sets with tax. Got them put on Friday. Wow what a difference, I bet it sits 2"'s higher and handles real nice. Just need tires and an alignment.
Once I get the rims cleaned up a bit I will get tires, still not sure if I will go with the white sport lettering as for they tend to discolour quickly.
I have this week off but not sure of my plans, just give me a call when you think you may make it around my way.

77GTLB
07-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Yokohama is a nice option. Japanese tire, Japanese car, raised white letter, and assorted 14's

www.yokohamatire.com/TireIntro.asp?TireID=47&ID=lt

Rick

Josh=MK1
07-02-2006, 11:51 PM
Thanks Rick, good suggestion I will check it out.

CJSREDPRA
07-03-2006, 01:20 AM
Yokohama is a nice option. Japanese tire, Japanese car, raised white letter, and assorted 14's

www.yokohamatire.com/TireIntro.asp?TireID=47&ID=lt

Rick

If you want to stay "original" this won't quite work. Avid S/T's are not available in 195/70/14's. Of course this works great if you need replacement tires for a MKII (225/60/14's).

Although they will still be fine for our passenger car applications, do remember that Avid S/T's are basically a tire that's designed for trucks. But they still work fine on cars.