7mgte 1985 hard top (Marysville, WA) [Archive] - Toyota CelicaSupra Forums

: 7mgte 1985 hard top (Marysville, WA)

DON
08-10-2008, 01:25 PM
http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w326/agatha-athena/Athenareadytosell021.jpg
The Heritage behind this build date's back to 1998 with My first Love "Agatha" a 1984 7mgte conversion that took 6 months to build. The goal for Athena was to build a solid foundation with an Automatic platform, a car, if left alone would have all the reliability Toyota is known for, and would be a great daily driver. My Goal on all of my conversions is to build it the way Toyota would have done it. I have put together several of these cars, mostly for other folks with great success since 1999.
Upgrades:New mk4 fuel pump,New Toyota oil pump,rebuilt head,metal head gasket,ARP head studs,new fuel filter,large capacity radiator (in case it goes to someone that lives in a hot climate).Rebuilt and balanced drive line with all new serviceable U joints. New cross drilled and slotted brake rotors with new Toyota pads. New shocks and struts (KYB gr2's). 3.73 LSD rear end. New BF Goodrich AT's, This car has 2.5" exhaust,factory pre-cat and main cat, stock IC and IC pipes, so it's power is relatively untapped.
Some people look at me funny when I tell them it's for sale, and ask why don't you keep it. My answer: I get my joy creating these,it is a hobby. The 2nd Gen Supra with this enginge conversion is saught after by many acrossed the planet. It is not how I make my living. I enjoy seeing the cars that I have played a roll in creating.
The 7mgte converted mk2 is very popular: http://www.superstreetonline.com/featuredvehicles/130_0904_1985_toyota_celica_supra/photo_01.html When given the weight differences between 2nd & 3rd gens it's easy to see the potential. On average it costs 12k to 15k to build one in this condition. Selling at $10,500.00US [email protected] or pm me. or call 425-422-9287.

pimptrizkit
08-10-2008, 01:34 PM
i'll see you there don. wont be looking to buy but i'll let my friends know there is a car like mine for sale @ the meet.

4SFED
08-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Hello 4SFED it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

Wow! Nice car! Finally something worth posting about on the forum! Good luck Don.

Suprasaurus
08-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Thats everything I want in a supra... lol.

But I dont have that kind of money and kind of want to go threw the experience of doing my own swap.

Good luck, nice car. Someday I want to have one that nice.

-Utterly1337

one2spooku
08-11-2008, 05:57 AM
After an hour of convincing myself that an auto would be ok.....i realize there is no sun roof.

Very nice car. I like it. Also good luck. The price is great.

Suprasaurus
08-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Its turbocharged, an automatic transmission is ideal right?

Boost never blows off?

I would rather have a 5 spd,

But thats one plus

-Utterly1337

Junkie
08-11-2008, 04:25 PM
The auto trans haters make me laugh :D Why ? Because it's obvious you've never driven a boosted auto car. "Not talking about above posters, just auto haters in general"

This is the 3rd Boosted auto that has come out of Area 51. An 85 SDR "now painted purple/lavender" that was in Puyallup last I knew, that Don and I built 7-8 years ago. My 83 L-type, Athena, and Matt's Brat "scorpmatt" will be next.

There is nothing even remotely more fun, than spanking on ricers and 5.0's while drinking my coffee ;)

Hope to see this car go to a good home soon, so we can start on the next one.

scorpmatt
08-11-2008, 04:27 PM
mmm, i love the feel of boosted automatic in the morning. :D

turbogoo1
08-11-2008, 05:12 PM
mmm, i love the feel of boosted automatic in the morning. :D

I thought yours wasnt done....:zzzzz:

I would love to have a boosted mk2.....but flares turn me off.

Nice job on the work you two have done.

kdsii
08-11-2008, 06:49 PM
After an hour of convincing myself that an auto would be ok.....i realize there is no sun roof.

To each his own - when you are well over 6', the hard top is a nice feature.

Good luck with the sale - from everything I have read, it sounds like a great car!

sarinas_dragons
08-11-2008, 09:03 PM
I've ridden in it and it is really nice. As a plus, great rewards await for just a bolt-on budget. I guess I'm partial, though...

4SFED
08-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Is Athena's steering wheel the same as the wheel in this write-up? click here (http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60)
If so, are the switches functional?

DON
08-13-2008, 12:25 AM
[QUOTE=kdsii;483430]To each his own - when you are well over 6', the hard top is a nice feature.

Amen to that! I'm 6'3" on a good day.

DON
08-13-2008, 12:40 AM
Is Athena's steering wheel the same as the wheel in this write-up? click here (http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60)
If so, are the switches functional?
Yes the wheel is the same, in my opinion it's the best steering wheel Toyota put in a Supra.
Unfortunatly the buttons are only show at this time. Agatha has the same wheel, with non working butttons. The next one I build will have the same wheel with none working buttons.
Dave thanks for the link to the write up. it's nice to know somone else has done it with success.
My goal is to build a solid 7mgte mk2 with my standard add on's that give it my signature. The next person can than take it to the next leval or just enjoy Toyota reliability.

That said I'm really looking forward to the Supra Nationals and the po-folks camp out....hey maybee somone will buy it from me and I could upgrade to a hotel room.hahaha....

DON
08-15-2008, 01:40 AM
http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w326/agatha-athena/Athena028.jpg
http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w326/agatha-athena/Athena032.jpg
http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w326/agatha-athena/Athena022.jpg
http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w326/agatha-athena/Athena031.jpg
in case you where curious how she looks under her skirt.

moonpie33
08-24-2008, 05:34 PM
what kind of front brakes are agatha using?

DON
09-25-2008, 11:52 PM
Bump!

Rich64N
09-26-2008, 12:37 AM
I saw a guess today that the Boeing strike will last at least another 45 days (sorry Wade and Bill and Corona Will). In the PNW, various toys are going to be all over Craigslist soon since the Machinist's Union strike fund pays maybe 25% of regular wages. Sorry Don,. this is not a good time to be selling anything local. But once the strick ends.....

DON
10-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the reassurance Rich. I had no Idea that a super clean mk2 converted to a 7mgte would take so long to sell.
To our wonderful forum I really need to move this car and I'm open to reasonable offers.
I would be even to drive it to you and fly back home. you can pm me. I know times are tuff, but there are those out there that are still doing great.

kmfdmk
10-03-2008, 11:05 PM
I can vouch that doing a 7M-GTE swap is insanely expensive and buying someone else's completed project is MUCH MUCH smarter. I have nearly $15,000 in my 7M-GTE, and yes it's worth every penny, but I wish I would have just bought Don's car (if I could have seen into the future).

And these cars are SICK, absolutely SICK to drive with a 7M-GTE. Mine's not even fully tuned and it's spinning the tires in 4th gear @ ~65mph on between 0 to 3psi.

Malloy
10-04-2008, 11:05 AM
You need new tires ;)

And these cars are SICK, absolutely SICK to drive with a 7M-GTE. Mine's not even fully tuned and it's spinning the tires in 4th gear @ ~65mph on between 0 to 3psi.

DON
10-10-2008, 10:53 AM
[QUOTE=kmfdmk;498510]I can vouch that doing a 7M-GTE swap is insanely expensive and buying someone else's completed project is MUCH MUCH smarter. I have nearly $15,000 in my 7M-GTE, and yes it's worth every penny, but I wish I would have just bought Don's car (if I could have seen into the future).

And these cars are SICK, absolutely SICK to drive with a 7M-GTE............

Build it, sell it, then build another one, all for fun.

DON
11-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Bump. If you're really into supra's you've got to try an AUTOMATIC with BOOST..........
I would be happy to drive her to you and have you fly me home. I might even get Junkie to share the driving chores. It's Your time to own a Supra turbo like Toyota only dreamed of. Plus Supras Invade Las Vegas is comming up and it sounds like the mk2 supra community will be out in force, be apart of this awsome event with a supra you can be proud of.
thanks for reading my add.

84ptype
11-22-2008, 11:19 PM
just trade me straight across knowing your getting the absolute worst deal ever but do it because you love supras and want to make another one awesome and do it cause you will be making a supra owners dream come true...i even have some turbo stuff to throw in...lol

LnumbP
11-23-2008, 08:22 PM
just trade me straight across knowing your getting the absolute worst deal ever but do it because you love supras and want to make another one awesome and do it cause you will be making a supra owners dream come true...i even have some turbo stuff to throw in...lol

Boy do I wish the world worked like that. It's always worth a shot!

Shit I'd load everything I own in the back of my Supra for that matter. Then call it even.

-Forrest

DON
12-03-2008, 11:12 AM

I wish I could just build them and give them away.

84ptype
12-03-2008, 10:28 PM
technically your not just giving it away, youd be getting a part trade in return...lol

Good luck, I cant believe this hasnt sold yet.

DON
12-17-2008, 02:25 PM
http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w326/agatha-athena/50engine479.jpg
Before Athena was given a bigger heart ;)
http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w326/agatha-athena/024.jpg
And After her heart grew to 3 liters with BOOST !
http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w326/agatha-athena/023-1.jpg
Now she's under her cover with 7" of snow on her.

Malibyte
12-17-2008, 04:24 PM
That's a sweet car. If I were looking for one, I'd snap this one up - the price is right and the car looks great, from the pics I've seen. I'm surprised as hell that no one's picked this one (or Jay's silver car, also an Area 51 graduate) up yet. Just out of curiosity, Don, did you go over the bottom end of that 7M?

Suprajayaz
12-19-2008, 04:32 PM
I have always like white MK2's.. With the new heart - it makes is all better. Take your 7mgte choice, Don's white A/T, hard top car or my silver 5spd, moonroof. No snow here in AZ. Jay B in AZ

Junkie
12-22-2008, 02:37 PM
That's a sweet car. If I were looking for one, I'd snap this one up - the price is right and the car looks great, from the pics I've seen. I'm surprised as hell that no one's picked this one (or Jay's silver car, also an Area 51 graduate) up yet. Just out of curiosity, Don, did you go over the bottom end of that 7M?

Bob, bottom end was inspected, not overhauled. Engine came from a very good running donor. Head was removed, kissed at the machine shop. MHG and hand lapped valves with new seals. Similar to what was done on Jay's, and most of the others that have been re-birthed in Area 51. Though, Jay did get new bearings .... twice :(

I find it interesting, even in tough economic times, that cars like this, and Jay's, are still on the market.

95%+ of the people wishing to do this swap, won't be able to accomplish the same quality of build, for this money.

SupraFiend
12-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Its almost worth it for that shell alone, thats an incredibly clean body. Its obviously been well stored and protected to be that clean with just the factory undercoatings.

Most people think its best to source a mk2 from one of the southern states like Texas or California when looking for a mint mk2 but I degress. I honestly think the best place to get them is Washington state. They seem to basiclly have the same climate as we do up here in the lower mainland of BC but time and time again I see even just modest condition cars with high miles in WA that have totaly solid quaters and hatches. We very rarely get any like that up here, I think it has to do with how they treat the roads in the winter down there and that the majority of the population isn't as near to the ocean as we are. You may get a rust free car in CA or such but the interior and trim will be baked to hell and thats the stuff thats hard to replace these days. Get a nice WA mk2 like this one and you get the rust free shell and cloud sheltered interior and trim, they're as good as they get!

Good luck with the sale Don.

Malibyte
12-22-2008, 10:42 PM
I find it interesting, even in tough economic times, that cars like this, and Jay's, are still on the market.

95%+ of the people wishing to do this swap, won't be able to accomplish the same quality of build, for this money.

Shawn:
Definitely agree with that, I've put a lot more than that overall into my Blupra.

Like I said, if I didn't already have two Mk2s and no room for another car (have three cars and two motorcycles in the garage already; my truck, GF's truck and kid's new car are outside in the rain :( ) - I'd grab one of these two.

ddd228
12-24-2008, 07:05 PM
[QUOTE=kmfdmk;498510]I can vouch that doing a 7M-GTE swap is insanely expensive and buying someone else's completed project is MUCH MUCH smarter. I have nearly $15,000 in my 7M-GTE, and yes it's worth every penny, but I wish I would have just bought Don's car (if I could have seen into the future).

And these cars are SICK, absolutely SICK to drive with a 7M-GTE............

That was my thinking, build a car, don't charge for labor,sell it bellow the magical 10k number that most people surpass when building one of these on their own.
Then build another one. All just for fun. Athena is STILL for sale? I have a guy that's interested.I printed the pix and info.I'll get back to you after Christmass. Dave in seattle.

DON
01-02-2009, 09:15 PM
to add to shawns (junkie) answer, I did plastic gauge the bottom end bearings they spect out and looked great.

DON
01-02-2009, 09:17 PM
ddd228-Dave, yes Athena is still for sale.

HASHIRIYA
01-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Love it . . . nice job!
BTW, would this be smog legal in California?

dbdaniel
01-14-2009, 01:19 AM
I keep lurking on this post every few days, hoping that someone else has bought this awesome car cuz I am having to really work hard to convince myself not to buy this... the only legit reason I can come up with not to buy this (other than my wife would kill me) is that I don't have a garage to store it in... I have always wanted a White Supra, and an auto 7MGTE would be real nice...

Junkie
01-14-2009, 01:13 PM
I wish someone would buy it ;)

I still find it amusing that any swapped cars, in this price range, last longer than 90 days. You just can't buy a - good - MKII, and then do the swap for this amount of $$$ typicaly. Hell, if you brought me your car, and I did ALL the work, and supplied ALL the parts, I'd charge more. Add to that, the fact you'd be without your car for 60-120 days, and this is a turn key, drive home, enjoy the car now deal :woot:

DON
01-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Love it . . . nice job!
BTW, would this be smog legal in California?

this has been covered, but yes it has all the factory bits so it should pass the referee inspection. thanks for your interest.

DON
01-28-2009, 03:24 AM
Well, after review of 2009 expenditures it's clear Insuring Athena another year will add un needed expense to this build. Especially when it was intended to be sold at a really great price not long after the build.

DON
02-08-2009, 11:26 AM
bump for Don.

4SFED
02-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Wow, how much is insurance? On 6 March my financial future will become much clearer.

Celeeca Soopra
02-28-2009, 12:34 AM
Vhet a fery beooteeffool ootumubeele-a! I hupe-a it sells tu a guud booyer. Guud loock veet yuoor sele-a

DON
03-22-2009, 03:55 PM
Bump, 2new pics :( who will be her new master?
http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w326/agatha-athena/P3220147.jpg
http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w326/agatha-athena/P3220142.jpg

scorpmatt
03-22-2009, 04:01 PM
she looks so sad in that first pic. she really needs someone to love her, take good care of her, and please her by running her long, fast and hard.

supraturbo85
03-22-2009, 04:56 PM
she does look lonely in that first pic :( i need to win the lottery........bad!

DON
04-04-2009, 11:43 AM
she's ready to submit to her new master.

DON
04-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Attention, New Price, same great car!
Check out first page.....................

CelSup
04-12-2009, 05:33 PM
PM and Voice mail sent...

DON
04-14-2009, 11:02 AM
PM back at ya.

DON
04-15-2009, 09:19 PM
OK, 3 people have contacted me expressing serious interest in Athena. It's about time! Question is who will be the one?

Tanya
04-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Serious interest huh? Hope she goes to a good home soon!

4SFED
04-16-2009, 06:54 AM
Feast or famine!

DreadyDiggs
04-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Beautiful car. Makes me want to paint my car white when I have the money to get it painted (although I wouldn't be doing the door jams etc). Sigh. Hope it goes to the right person.

Malloy
04-16-2009, 02:17 PM
If you want a GTE swap, this is by far the best way to do it. Find a rust free car that has been swapped by someone who knows the swap well. This will minimize drama and future surprises.

83restomod
04-16-2009, 06:14 PM
If you want a GTE swap, this is by far the best way to do it. Find a rust free car that has been swapped by someone who knows the swap well. This will minimize drama and future surprises.

naaaaaaaaa. find a rusted out whore that needs everything under the sun. make half the parts cause u can find them anymore. and go though a few motors and a fire or 2..... :duh:

mike is right. save the hassle ppl. this car is sick!!!!

scorpmatt
04-16-2009, 06:21 PM
naaaaaaaaa. find a rusted out whore that needs everything under the sun. make half the parts cause u can find them anymore. and go though a few motors and a fire or 2..... :duh:

mike is right. save the hassle ppl. this car is sick!!!!

dude, it's beyond sick. Get behind the wheel and you know she's ready to go! :D

DON
04-17-2009, 10:55 AM
another call yesterday from the local craigs list. and an E-mail from some kid converting a 86 for his senoir project, looking for a mentor. he claims his car is almost done. huh.....
this is getting interesting.

DON
04-19-2009, 12:34 PM
A couple of REAL offers made on the car last week. I'm waiting for the one selfish person that won't let anyone else have Athena...........you can't stop looking at her pics, you starve for more pics, you want to see her in person and drive her, just to asure yourself that she is ALL THAT. You know it's alot of cash, and think to yourself...ya, but it pencils out and I can always make more cash..................YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!!

scorpmatt
04-19-2009, 07:00 PM
A couple of REAL offers made on the car last week. I'm waiting for the one selfish person that won't let anyone else have Athena...........you can't stop looking at her pics, you starve for more pics, you want to see her in person and drive her, just to asure yourself that she is ALL THAT. You know it's alot of cash, and think to yourself...ya, but it pencils out and I can always make more cash..................YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!!

yeah but i don't have a job! :sadsmilie

DON
04-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Athena has SOLD. Thanks to everyone who pitched in durring the build. Thank you all for all the great comments. I hope my next build sells alot faster.

Malloy
04-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Good deal. Another good 7m car moving on :)

84ptype
04-21-2009, 10:01 PM
is the new owner a member of the site???
did you tell them about it?

one2spooku
04-21-2009, 10:02 PM
Nice, About time huh.

4SFED
04-22-2009, 06:56 PM
is the new owner a member of the site???
did you tell them about it?
A long time member, even back to the old forum.

RedP85
04-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Like who ?

Junkie
04-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Like who ?

J ... she went to an old boost head. I'm thinking you may get enough hints to figure it out, before he really takes possesion. She's definately going to a good home, and not staying in the state.

Malloy
04-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Reg Reimer!

spud3861
04-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Turbo Toad II ?

Junkie
04-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Reg Reimer!

:zzzzz:

Turbo Toad II ?

I wish, then I could have cleaned out the garage a bit more ;)

turbogoo1
04-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Congrats David. Good to see it going to a good home.

DON
04-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Finally, now I can go back to lurking

RedP85
04-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Congrats David. Good to see it going to a good home.I tought so too, but didn't want to put a name there myself.

4SFED
04-23-2009, 10:22 PM
This will be my first mk2 with an automatic trans. The other fifteen or so have all been 5speeds, and so have all my mk1s. I did have 1 auto out of my three mk3s so far over the years. I know Athena won't be a pig like that was. It will be a few months before I can afford to have her shipped here, or afford a road trip to pick her up. In the mean time, you guys out in Don's area still get to look at her before she moves to Wisconsin.

85midnightsupra
04-24-2009, 01:14 AM
Dave, i knew you would get it!! You gotta call me when you bring it back...