Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

wanted to buy / for sale expire?

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  foonanas 
#1 ·
Do the wanted and for sale posts expire?
There's 10 pages in one, and 13 pages in the other.
I would think after a certain length of time, 1 month or 3 months, they should expire, and the person who posted the ad could re-post if he/she desires.
When the ad is almost a year old, I doubt that anyone would contact you about it anyway.

#2 ·
I would think auto-dump after 30 days is appropriate. If you have an item still for sale, repost it at that point. Most of the "good" stuff at the right price is gone in less than a week anyway.

#3 ·
I "think" I can set up certain sections of the forum to do an "auto-prune" meaning after a certain amount of time, they just go away. If you guys would like, I can set up the for sale/wanted sections to automatically dump listings.

I'd like to know what everyone has to say about this before I actually set this up? Opinions? Comments about how LONG a for sale or wanted ad should sit before being automatically removed by the forum?

#6 ·
hmm I say around 45 days or so, some people disappear for awhile or are unable to check/post on the forum so I'd give it a tad bit longer, but that's just me. I know I disappeared for 6 months and missed a lot, and my internet will probably go dow again in the next month or so and I will no longer be able to be here all the time, only checking the forum at my aunts house

#7 ·
id say 30-45 days would be appropriate.

as has been said, most things at the right price sell pretty quickly and want ads are usually taken care of for most semi common items.
if the person still has it after 30 days, then they can relist it easily enough id say.

#8 ·
I believe there is another way to do it.

You don't prune the section, you change the view on the section such that it only shows posts within a certain time frame. VBulletin has that feature.

...that would be better IMO.

#10 ·
Malloy said:
I think we should take them out, and add them to the new partner site I am building: celicasupradotcomclassifiedsarchives.com

;)

Thanks Steve!
Thanks to Ross for suggesting it. I'll enable auto-prune for "For Sale" and for "Wanted" with a 45 day automatic post deletion.

Right now, the database is at 180 mb, so this will help out a little bit.

Steve

#13 ·
Speed Racer said:
I'll enable auto-prune for "For Sale" and for "Wanted" with a 45 day automatic post deletion.

Right now, the database is at 180 mb, so this will help out a little bit.

Steve
Or you could just delete all of zanks b.s.

That would bring it below 100megs easy.

--BillyM --> :wedrunk: <-- Bung-Monkey

#16 ·
are you guys talking 30 days from the original post, or 30 days from the last post?

if anything, it should be from the last post - some of these wanted/for sale deals take some time and it would be a shame for a random thread to just disappear one day.

#18 ·
I think what foonanas is suggesting is that sellers delete their For Sale threads when they've sold the items. :)

I wish they would. :) ...this should make it so that they don't have to and we don't have to worry about it.

#20 ·
if they go away after 45 days, then lets just try it that way.

mark it sold and let it die.

#21 ·
man i must of been high when i posted that!!!!!!!! if people would delete them after they sold their items we would not have this problem at all. what was i thinking.!!!!!!!!!

I got to put down the pipe.

sorry

jeremy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.