Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

'84 P-type 7MGTE......

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  turbogoo1 
#1 ·
I think this thread is quite overdue. I've posted up pics and people from the forum have seen, ridden in and driven my car but I wanted to share the journey of how it got to where
it is and keep updating this thread as it's continually improved and refined. The car in
question is my 1984 P-type: Super Red, gray leather, 7MGTE, W58, etc. etc. etc. I think one
of the most important things someone can hopefully take away from my experiences and my MK2
is that a project car like this doesn't come together overnight. There are many setbacks and
frustrating moments that generally happen over several years. I purchased this particular
car only last spring however most of the parts and knowledge were "harvested" from my old
white 1982 7MGTE car (that I totalled). So really the history and developement (if you want
to call it that) of the '84 as it sits now goes back to at least 2002! I will try and get
this up to date ASAP but it might take a couple days and posts so please bear with me :)
If you have questions or comments, by all means post 'em up. I like others feedback, it
may help think about something in a different way and lead to a change or solution that
otherwise wouldn't have ocurred to me.

First, here's the "donor" car, it was fun and the first 7MGTE swapped MK2 in WNY/S.Ontario.
I like to think it got the ball rolling for many others. I know for sure it opened a few
eyes and surprised quite a few people on the track (and street) :D It ran a 12.9 @ 109mph way back in Spetember 2004. I had tons of plans for this car that I've now tried to implement on the '84.

After this car was wrecked I spent a couple years trying to figure out what the hell to do. Fast forward past the boring bits to last spring and a 1984 MK2 with a running 7MGTE swap
came up for sale in Ontario, Canada. The car belonged to a friend and forum member and I
had seen the car a couple years back and it had a bunch of nice parts on it plus it had
been repainted and had a presumeably still solid body. Basic summary of the car:

-Decent paint job over poor prep/bodywork
-New bodyside mouldings, door opening weatherstrips, sunroof seal
-Broken windshield
-Polished P-type wheels with Michelin tires
-Leather interior in very good condition, carpet stained.
-7MGTE with ARP headstuds, probable BHG, massive oil leaks
-Nology spark plug wires, HKS intake
-Junkie swap harness
-Suprasport LIPP stainless elbow, Brullen stainless 3" DP, cat, cat back exhaust
-Fidanza flywheel, RPS clutch
-JK V2 short shifter
-Tokico HP struts and shocks
-New OEM rear springs
-Walbro fuel pump

I bought the car and it ended up needing a ton of work just to get it truly roadworthy. I don't actually have any pics of the car itself when I first got it. Don't really know why. I did start tearing into the car as soon as
the importation paperwork was all done.

Here's the engine bay right after it got into the garage and the hood got pulled off:

I feel before going on that I should give some credit to a shop that had so much to do with getting the to point is was at in this pic. The shop was CP Racing, located outside Toronto, Ontario. You may remember their horrendous strut tower braces that they sold on Ebay for awhile. They were bolted through the upper firewall and sadly a few nice MK2s out there bear the scars of these braces. Fortunately this car didn't get one of those braces installed but they did plenty of other fine work to make up for that. Their IC piping was a disaster. Their wiring was in most cases just twisted together with maybe a bit of electrical tape (if you're lucky!), very little proper soldering and no heat shrink tubing insulation here! Originally this car had an intact swap harness from Junkie, but they hacked that to the point where I had to take it out. Many things didn't work. But I was undeterred (sort of LOL). Here's some more pics to give a hint of how bad things were (these also hint at how bad the oil leaks were and the mess that had to be corrected):

As you can see, at this point things were looking a bit grim.... but obviously you must go on! I have to thank my friends Brian (Brian) and Mark (Superium) for helping during this truly disgusting stage! After removing a few things, it was actually looking worse:

Pulled the engine and transmission. Then the full glory of the filthy engine bay was exposed. Oh my poor floor!:

Yikes!!!!

Stick around, things get better I promise :)

See less See more
#3 ·
ROFLMAO!

Wow that's your question.... seriously? LOL

Well since you asked so nicely, yes it's a drain. Nothing went down it because I took off the cap and stuffed rags etc. in the opening. The design of that drain fitting is so poor that I probably didn't need to but I'm not really down with dumping that shit down into the sewers.

#5 ·
First off, I love hearing these types of stories. I have my own stories too! :D haha.

What psi were you at when you ran 12.9? and also what gear ratio? 373?

I was about to take my car to the track last fri night... but of course the one time I finally decide to go to the track my car breaks... lol

I'm interested to see more pictures, once you have time to post them that is.

Sometime soon i'll probably post up my story, I just don't have the patience to do it right now :sadsmilie

Tony

#9 ·
First off, I love hearing these types of stories. I have my own stories too! :D haha.

What psi were you at when you ran 12.9? and also what gear ratio? 373?

I was about to take my car to the track last fri night... but of course the one time I finally decide to go to the track my car breaks... lol
Tony, thanks I appreciate the encouragement!

The '82 ran that 12.9 at about 16-17psi. It had a Lexus AFM, 550 injectors, 3" catless exhaust, 3.73 gears, stock MK3 IC, $10 MBC from Ebay. This was with a 1.9 60ft on 225/50R16 Yokohama ES100s.

Racing is fun, but things will break. When parts break on my car I try and figure out a better solution for that component in the future. For instance when my first diff broke (3.73!!!) I built up a replacement 3.73 with a Truetrac LSD. It also can take quite alot of trial and error lessons to realize the cars potential. I know most times I'm the one holding the car back not the other way around. I'm the weakest link! :D

keep the posts coming Joseph! you're still holding out on people to what this actually looks like.

When I read the thread title and the poster on the homepage and I clicked on it. I was cringing with one eye open, hoping it wouldn't lead me to the for sale forum! I'm delighted to see this thread!! :D
It's coming Steve, it actually takes quite a long time to put a thread like this together. Especially when you're playing catch up. I really can't see selling this car for the foreseeable future. If anything I'd have to part it out! But then what would I drive?!

#6 ·
keep the posts coming Joseph! you're still holding out on people to what this actually looks like.

When I read the thread title and the poster on the homepage and I clicked on it. I was cringing with one eye open, hoping it wouldn't lead me to the for sale forum! I'm delighted to see this thread!! :D

#8 ·
So after countless hours of scrubbing the engine bay was starting to look like something I wasn't ashamed of. At this point the line lock was plumbed in but not wired etc. This car was originally an auto and there was a couple issues with the W58 install. One was that the hard line from the clutch master to the slave cylinder was just a length of brake line that was very poorly bent. It had some severe kinks in it, didn't route through the locating tab on the body and therefore came dangerously close to rubbing the steering shaft, fuel lines, harnesses in that area. In these pics the entire clutch hydraulic circuit has been removed for cleaning and replacement. You can also see that the AC evap core fittings are gone (box removed).

The struts were removed. I pillaged the '82 for it's front suspension and brakes:
-KYB AGX adjustable struts
-ST lowering springs
-JK RCAs
-Addco swaybay, modded brackets with Superpro strut rod bushings
-JK Wilwood brake kit with Hawk pads, Coleman slotted rotors and Technafit stainless braided lines

I swapped the ST springs for Dobinson lowering springs and installed KMAC stage 2 camber/caster plates and then installed them in their new home.

#11 ·
Awesome, write up! I'm at work and getting some x's but I'll do my best to look again later! I remember thinking when you and I were at Walmart testing the line loc and the car being red that it some how reminded me to the move Hooper when they were testing that red Trans Am.

Good GOD, I love that car. Keep em coming Joseph! This is a good read.

#12 ·
I've seen it in July, and yes, pretty nice!
I also like to read these description, interesting :good:
Keep the pics and stories coming !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.