Time for a new FAQ!!! [Archive] - Toyota CelicaSupra Forums

: Time for a new FAQ!!!

Malloy
03-07-2004, 07:09 PM
Ok gang, with almost 1,500 members now, I think we are due for a FAQ overhaul. Myself and the admins will put it together and make it all work...however we need CONTENT to make this happen.

We have an FAQ section here on the forum which is great, however I want to make a formal FAQ overhaul in the next month or so.

We (obviously) will need volunteers to make this happen, but we need to figure out a way to organize the efforts of all the volunteers.

Here is the old FAQ:
https://www.celicasupra.com/faq.htm

If anyone would like to help us with content (we will format it for the web) please post here. Please look at the FAQ, and tell us what you would like to add. Ill start off the efforts:

Section: Wheels/Tires
Owner: Mike Malloy
I will update the page to include ALL known wheel fitments for the mk2.

CELICA GTS
03-07-2004, 07:32 PM
Section: Typical wear items
Owner: Celica GTS

Malloy did you want us to add visuals?[/b]

jdk_ii
03-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Suggestions:

Per Jason's most excellent picture tells all, the suspension FAQ.
-Side pics of stock, Eibach's, Suspension Techniques, others.
-Rear pics of squat issue with lowered rear springs
-Why RCAs should be used (I might be able to gather some pics)

Improved Big Brake kit pics. It's due. No complete pics of the rear setup.
(me)

Steering wheel/shift knob recover. I can get some pics. Maybe
someone wants to fire up another group buy.

The addco's, suspension, maybe some others I did could use some
html updates to an easier format.

Maroon restoration techniques. I can get some pics of the custom
matching color I had made for vinyl and cloth. Just have to find the part #.

The Parts Boy FAQ. :wink:

Funkycheeze
03-07-2004, 08:09 PM
i can do up a suspension section, but since my car is in about a thousand pieces, i'll need pics of ride height from other members - i can cover the rear camber issue and RCA information, as well as what is avaliable - pics would be helpful

i can also do up some stuff on suspension setup, like setting camber/caster, toe in, correcting bump steer, centering the steering, etc.

the other thing i can get on is the prev maint/rust section, but i would rather separate it out into a maintenance section, and a restoration section

then i could do the restoration section properly, by documenting how i am fixing all my rust problems - if someone needs to know how to fix worse rust than i have, they probably have a car that is almost impossible to fix

let me know

}fixed -admin{

Malloy
03-07-2004, 08:17 PM
pics would be great :)

Moorman
03-07-2004, 10:19 PM
On a somewhat related note:
Swapping the oil pan & oil pickup should be added to the 6m engine recipe.

spud3861
03-07-2004, 10:25 PM
How about 5MGE to 7MGE engine conversion wiring instructions? I have the knowledge and the time if anyone is interested.

FWDsux
03-07-2004, 10:58 PM
I have a couple shots of my car with rear Dobinson lowering springs showing 3* of negitive camber.

I have Dobinson's stock height spring on now, but no pics of that. Can get some though. Pics in below link are coiovers in front and Dobinson lowering springs in the rear. Any other pics I have are available just ask if I have one.

So many pics not online: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288047711

Supra_devil
03-08-2004, 12:46 AM
ii think a section on how to do basic maitneance and change parts would be cool. clutch, fluids, belts, alternator, steering rack, all of it in an easy to find place, you could even have things like how to remove egr and charcoal canisters for the people who don't have smog nazis. i would offer to do it but my mom already doesn't like the amount of time i'm on the comp so...

Funkycheeze
03-08-2004, 01:03 AM
thats sort of the other part of the restoration section - like i said we should split it up, and i can cover the resto stuff

reg reimer's SONIC page, along with a little bit of research and a look at the TSRM, would make the maintenance section a snap

CELICA XX
03-08-2004, 12:19 PM
Great ideas!

Supra_devil: I like the basic maintence idea.

Here are my suggestions:
1. Original Colors (with color codes)
2. Engine History

5ME
5MGE
6MGE
7MGE
7MGTE
2JZGE
2JZGTE

sloopercat
03-08-2004, 12:39 PM
How about the P-type or L-type question that comes up all the time?

How to R+R a starter and fix a solenoid?

Engine codes?

BPU mods for the 5MGE.

Flyin' Hawaiian
03-08-2004, 12:53 PM
you think we could get permission to either link to cygnus' tsrm, or possibly get a copy of it for our website? We can then add links to some of the tsrm pages for maintenance stuff, torque specs, etc. This could be a lot of work though...
I'd also like to see more pics as it's just easier to explain things, but with pics comes the necessity for added bandwith and storage space. Are we able to handle that financially? Personally, I think its time to think about dues for us cs.com "residents"! On that note, to possibly make it easier for those to give, we can send out decals or a shirt or something for becoming a dues-paying member. Obviously, a shirt will cost money, but if we say $25.00 per year, and you get a t-shirt or a cap w/the cs.com logo on it, you would still make almost $18.00 per member.Oh yeah, and add something to the paying members avitar to show they are paying members.
It will still be handled as a non-profit club, meaning you don't have to report any income from dues.
Finally, as you folks know, I'm always here to help with the artwork and photo retouching stuff! All'z ya gotta do is ask!!!

Speed Racer
03-08-2004, 01:02 PM
you think we could get permission to either link to cygnus' tsrm, or possibly get a copy of it for our website? We can then add links to some of the tsrm pages for maintenance stuff, torque specs, etc. This could be a lot of work though...
I'd also like to see more pics as it's just easier to explain things, but with pics comes the necessity for added bandwith and storage space. Are we able to handle that financially? Personally, I think its time to think about dues for us cs.com "residents"! On that note, to possibly make it easier for those to give, we can send out decals or a shirt or something for becoming a dues-paying member. Obviously, a shirt will cost money, but if we say $25.00 per year, and you get a t-shirt or a cap w/the cs.com logo on it, you would still make almost $18.00 per member.Oh yeah, and add something to the paying members avitar to show they are paying members.
It will still be handled as a non-profit club, meaning you don't have to report any income from dues.
Finally, as you folks know, I'm always here to help with the artwork and photo retouching stuff! All'z ya gotta do is ask!!!

Chris,

I think you've got some great ideas there. In the past we've had people contribute various amouts, depending on what they were able to do at the time. As it stands, I believe it costs around $480 to $500 per year for hosting on the stand alone account. The hosting company has been gracious enough to keep upping our bandwidth at no addl. cost - I don't think they really have a plan in place to handle the amount of bandwidth this site uses, to be honest.

If you look at some of the member's 'ranks' you'll notice it says "contributing member" - I agree that the next go-round for contributions from the group, something more significant should be done. A custom avatar of some sort or something that goes along with their "contributor" rank.

Speaking of which, have you read this thread?: https://www.celicasupra.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=62486

I think Zank is on to something pretty cool here, but I don't do artwork that's used for printing purposes. Any chance you might be able to do something similar to what Zank is proposing? Something nice looking, that's business card sized...and we could put a copy of it on the web for members to download.

And Zank, not to step on your toes, but the artwork you're using won't look good when printed - web stuff never does. I could go into the reasons why, but you'll just have to trust me on that.

Steve

supra_toy
03-08-2004, 01:02 PM
I'd help where ever I can. Maybe sound system Q/A? Altenator swaps... and other such stuff...

will

Malloy
03-08-2004, 02:24 PM
I think a card with just the logo is sufficient, they will get the hint ;)

suprasrock
03-08-2004, 03:00 PM
When this was first suggested I imagined something a lot simpler.

How about something like this?

http://www.yellowsun.plus.com/forum/cs-card-01.gif

and if you want to say something more you can just write on the back.

CJSREDPRA
03-08-2004, 10:20 PM
Bill,

M series engine history has already been covered here.

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/loats/technical/mhistory/mhistory.html

These same guys don't have a engine history section yet for the JZ motors.

wallcrawlr
03-08-2004, 10:41 PM

I agree...its good branding.

and if you want to say something more you can just write on the back.

nuff said.

Malloy
03-08-2004, 11:44 PM
Ok, current status:
https://www.celicasupra.com/faqrespons.htm

1. Who wants to do the engine history? There is a TON of good info we can leverage from those 2 links (after getting approval of course)

2. Interior bits. Jim?

3. Wiring. Spud?

4. Engine mods. Jason?

5. Basic maintenence. ???

6. Colors/VIN etc. etc. Chris Eng??

7. PType vs. LType? ???

8. ???

CJSREDPRA
03-09-2004, 12:17 AM
I can "possibly" jump on #6, if I have time. Finding little snippets of time to do it when I'm supposed to be working can get interesting at times. Days off get's interesting, since I only have access to a slow dial up @ my GF's.

Malloy
03-09-2004, 12:22 AM
No rush Chris. You seem to have a strong understanding of all that info, so you were my 1st guess.

Thanks!

Junkie
03-09-2004, 12:34 AM
Chris,need more speed,come up and visit :wink:

Mike,I could maybe help by giving a better understanding of the differences in 7mgte conversions thru the different years.The only problem I have is not enough pics to show many of the changes in wiring/plugs as of yet.
Let me know,glad to help where I can.

Funkycheeze
03-09-2004, 12:47 AM
if theres no rush i might as well cover the basic maintenance section

Flyin' Hawaiian
03-09-2004, 12:49 AM
Chris,

I think you've got some great ideas there. In the past we've had people contribute various amouts, depending on what they were able to do at the time. As it stands, I believe it costs around $480 to $500 per year for hosting on the stand alone account. The hosting company has been gracious enough to keep upping our bandwidth at no addl. cost - I don't think they really have a plan in place to handle the amount of bandwidth this site uses, to be honest.

If you look at some of the member's 'ranks' you'll notice it says "contributing member" - I agree that the next go-round for contributions from the group, something more significant should be done. A custom avatar of some sort or something that goes along with their "contributor" rank.

Speaking of which, have you read this thread?: https://www.celicasupra.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=62486

I think Zank is on to something pretty cool here, but I don't do artwork that's used for printing purposes. Any chance you might be able to do something similar to what Zank is proposing? Something nice looking, that's business card sized...and we could put a copy of it on the web for members to download.

And Zank, not to step on your toes, but the artwork you're using won't look good when printed - web stuff never does. I could go into the reasons why, but you'll just have to trust me on that.

Steve

Sure! I can work on doing the business card that Zanky came up with. I'll get it together in the next few days (will go over it for spelling errors so I don't do the same thing like the calendars! :mad: ), and will post a few different variations online to either have the "bosses" pick the best one, or maybe have a poll on the forum or sumpthin'!
Once it's decided, I'll get it into several formats, maybe PDF and DOC format, and will set it up to print on Avery's 8371 business card stock. This way nobody has to cut them with a knife, just go to the store and buy the paper (it's like $10 for 250 cards!).
As for the avatar, I noticed that some folks had contributing member tacked onto it a while back, but thought I'd mention it, maybe there's others who haven't noticed it.
As for the shirt/cap thing, I have a pretty good contact for that type of work, (used to work for the guy years ago in Honolulu!), and he always cuts me a good deal, plus we can do small orders as low as 10 shirts at a time. We could also sell just the shirts at a lower cost for extra money too, this would help defer the costs of printing 2005's calendar! Most folks don't know just how much those things really cost, let's just say it was a lot more than what they were charged.
This forum has come a long way since it started last year, and it's because you and Mike (and the others behind the scenes too!) care about the site and us folks who are here day after day!
Thanks guys!!!

Ross
03-09-2004, 06:59 AM

That's what I was thinking initially, but now I think maybe a sentence or two wouldn't be a bad idea.

If I got a card with a drawing of a Supra, and a web address, I'd be intrigued enough to go have a look. But maybe a formal invitation would be nicer.

Tanya
03-09-2004, 01:06 PM
I think we need to fashion a decent cupholder for the mk2 before the actual cups!
:D
My experience says the glove box "cupholders" don't hold well taking turns over 30mph
:oops:

CS.com store would be awesome! I'd definitly like to see more mk2 keychains...I also saw a Zippo lighter on Ebay about 2 years ago that had the same "Toyota Supra" logo that I have on my keychain, but I wasn't able to bid on it, and I haven't seen that lighter since...I think they went out of business, too bad, nice logo too.
Anywho, I'd like to help out w/ the card but unfortunatly I don't have access to a scanner. I can draw pretty good but can't get it through on the net...but I'm gonna try to think up some ideas to put on the card, maybe word the invite a little different...anything so I can feel useful!
8)

CELICA GTS
03-09-2004, 01:28 PM
think we need to fashion a decent cupholder for the mk2 before the actual cups!

My experience says the glove box "cupholders" don't hold well taking turns over 30mph

I havent had that problem Tanya...here's the trick...get gobs of superglue, glue your cup to the"cupholder" in the glovebox,then glue a whole bunch of crazystraws together and voila you're set :dancin:

Andrew
03-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Mike,
I'd like to submit my writeup for the DIY Rear Strut Tower Bar, that is if you don't already have one.

Flyin' Hawaiian
03-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Thank you Chris -- I think this will come along nicely and who knows, if we do this right, we could have our very own CelicaSupra.com store with a list of goodies for sale and a shopping cart too. :D

I was thinking shirts (t-shirts and polos), maybe sweatshirts and long sleeve cotton t-shirts (surf-wear style), coffee mugs, insulated drink cups (for use in the MkII).

Something I've been working on for a while now - a CelicaSupra.com tool bag that is black with a white club logo on it. I bought a very cool roadside emergency tool kit last year with flares, a blanket, selection of tools, flashlight, bandages etc...and it came in a nylon zipper bag. There are several companies who sell bags like this to sporting goods stores; the logo could easily be embroidered (not silk screened because it would wear off) and that would look sweet. All the OEM Toyota tools etc could go in the bag as well - and I'd like it to be large enough that my Halon fire extinguisher will fit inside it also. Probably a rectangular duffle bag 12"x12"x24" would be sufficient for this.

Again, these are all just ideas at the moment. Ultimately it's up to Mr. Malloy to decide what he wants to do. I mean, we don't want to get TOO much stuff in the online store, because someone would have to ship this stuff out, and I don't know if Mike's parts closet is big enough for an inventory. But a few select "nice" items in typical shopping cart fashion with photos would be cool. Plus it would be a good place to take orders for the next-gen CelicaSupra.com calendar.

What do you think?

I think it's a great idea! I know a bunch of members have been waiting for it to come around, so you can expect it to be received well by all.
As for the business card thing, I came up with somethin' this morning, posted it to the other thread so as not to get off the subject of website improvements too much!!! :wink:
Tanya, wording would be perfect for the card, I always hate coming up with the text...
Guess I kinda hijacked the web re-design thread, sorry Mike!
I might be interested in handling the artsy-fartsy stuff for the site, as well as the design stuff for shirts bags caps, etc. Just let me know when and what is needed!

TOYMAN321
03-09-2004, 03:15 PM
I think we need to fashion a decent cupholder for the mk2 before the actual cups!

Done it! and I'd be more than happy to post pics or do a write up if anyone actually wants me to... it's removable too, so I can keep that stocl look"

Oh... and I'd be willing to do a write up on interior and interior restoration with pics and whatnot... so I guess I can throw my name into that:

Topic: Interior and Interior Restoration
Owner: Kurt Gunning (Toyman321)

Let me know how you would like me to do it and how it should be formatted, pics, etc...

Malloy
03-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Thanks Kurt! You can do it however you want, I will format it for the site. Pics would really work well for anything.

Updated:

-added Toyman321 to interior

Daves2JZGTE
03-09-2004, 03:34 PM
if you wont i can get you pics of the seet covers the wight oakor wet oka what ever they are i have them in my supra you can see a small pic on my yahoo

Flyin' Hawaiian
03-09-2004, 11:31 PM
that would be Wet Okole! Okole is butt in Hawaiian!!!

Funkycheeze
03-10-2004, 01:54 AM
Thanks Kurt! You can do it however you want, I will format it for the site. Pics would really work well for anything.

Updated:

-added Toyman321 to interior]

sounds great - then i can focus on exterior resto/rust removal

BlackSupra
03-11-2004, 07:49 AM
www.norbie.net/ifli4u/

2JZGE conversion.

Suprajayaz
03-16-2004, 09:04 PM
Mike,
I'm emailing you a word file on items to look for when purchasing a mk2 (Mk2 Inspection Checklist). I took the one from the current FAQ and added more content..and used it for my upcoming purchase... Jay B in AZ

Suprajayaz
03-17-2004, 01:43 PM
Mike,
I'm emailing you a word file on items to look for when purchasing a mk2 (Mk2 Inspection Checklist). I took the one from the current FAQ and added more content..and used it for my upcoming purchase... Jay B in AZ

If you can post the inspection checklist, members could review/edit and send in photos of the corresponding item. What a checklist that would be! If there is a 'drop box' we could use for the photos, I could help edit the whole thing into a MSWord document and send to you for hosting...Jay B

fuzzy bear racer
04-12-2004, 02:50 PM
having been an avid visitor to the site, i am proud to say that i am a new member. i can do a write up about certain boby part replacements. mainly the front end. i am currently taking certain peices of my 84's front facia for replacement due to a game of chicken with a deer.

Moorman
04-24-2004, 09:31 PM
On the 6m transplant, we should add that the 5m oil pan and oil pump needs to be kept and used on the 6m.

And judging from the posts I saw when searching, we may want to caution about 82-84 vs. 85-86 oil pan/pump differences (82-84 oil pans are not deep enough to clear the 85-86 pickup)

williamb82
05-09-2004, 12:14 AM
would you like me to do a drivetrain faq? ive dont the r154 swap and true trac conversion and have pics and partnumbers. lmk. planned on doing the true trac writeup anyway.
william

williamb82
05-09-2004, 12:17 AM
also, i can do a writeup on the shortstroke front coilover conversion. just waiting on the strut tube spacers.
william

CELICA GTS
07-07-2004, 01:03 PM
What's the deal with the updates? I'm pretty much done with mine (though I had the easiest)and will ship it to the admin here in a bit.I was just wondering how far some of you guys are with the updates

Speed Racer
07-07-2004, 02:51 PM
pssssssssst!

(send your updates to Malloy)

thx.

futura2000
07-31-2004, 02:53 AM
hey wats up'my problem is i cannot find the side door moulding/rocket panels to my 86mk2 supra please help,[email protected]

Flyin' Hawaiian
08-01-2004, 11:00 PM
fucking moron...

Phoenix
10-16-2004, 12:05 AM
Are you still looking for volunteers? I'd be interested in trying to set up a team to sift and edit the database. Sort of sift through it making word files bunching similar or same topics. Then editing them for continuity and repitition. I bet with the information here we could make a pretty good online troubleshooting manual for this car. Each article could give credit to the members whose posts were used as sourse material of course.

DADSPRA85
11-28-2004, 10:21 PM
i have read some of this long post but do you guys realise how much info + man/women hours info yis have invested inn chiltons made a fortune selling their book (i own one for $25) but i would not have bought it if i found this site first .. my problem is i have problems logging on so i have started to download my particulal sections for easy access.

if FQA was put on a cd to me would be worth a lot of $$$ (fair price obv.)and most people who are owners would pay?? the money raised should go to the upgrades + maintance of the site etc it's just an idea

thats it

brendan

CELICA GTS
10-06-2005, 12:14 AM
This topic was posted in 2004 .......where do we stand on this guys?

sarinas_dragons
10-06-2005, 01:18 PM
I'll volunteer for 5MGE N/A engine spec faq, stock, bpu+,++,+++ excluding EFI because there are others better informed.

Harrison K 688
10-21-2005, 10:59 PM
difference of 5m + 6m (=