Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

CEL of death

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Cap'n 2jz 
#1 ·
I've had my 88 camry for almost 4 years now. I've put like 80 000 kms on it in that time. Only once did the check engine light come on, and I never ever knew why. It came on then went off. The engine always ran fine, when it idled weird I tossed a bottle of injector cleaner in and all was well.

Tonight, I was beating her on the way home trying to follow my bro in his volvo (obviously failing with the 3sfe slushbox) and bloop the little light comes on going into a hard corner. So I laugh, I'm like yeah ok your throwing a CEL get over it OBD0.

Stopped at a stoplight, light goes off. Everything is cool, start driving again cruising the revs are bouncing from 1500 1900 1500 1900 quick. Then it runs normal again.

Get home, park, wtv will look under the hood for loose crap tomorrow.

In the back of my head --> bad times

Countdown until meltdown starting now >.<

:eek4dance:

#4 ·
That'll teach you for beating on an '88 Camry... :laugh: My parents have a '90 Camry, and they are getting pretty sick of it.. That car has the stupidest front end in the omniverse... They have had it for 2 years, front shocks done twice, front brakes 3 times, front left hub done once, aligned twice, and it just started vibrating when braking again.. And feel that 3SFE power! Although it does regularly get like 40+MPG. Just goes to show even Toyotas can still be problem cars..

#5 ·
I agree with the design of the front end being shit. To drop the transmission you literally have to take the entire underside of the car off, tables, sway bar and both engine cross members. Ask me how I know?

The sway bar in the front also acts as the tension rod(s) for the front end, and those bushings fuck up every 50 000 K and randomly as you are coming to a stop (braking) the bushing breaks and the wheel flys back into the wheel well.

BUT I bought this car, and a parts car, it was completely finished, I put some money on it and stripped the parts car and I've put 80 000 kms on it in 4 years with limited to no money in repair. But when it breaks, its really gay to fix.

Like now, I think it has busted its 15th exhaust leak. The first part I fixed 3 years ago just rusted out again, it starts over from the beginning lol

I'm running on a pair of used struts now (from the parts car) once or twice a winter I wash my car, spray in the wheel wells, one of the rear shocks is messed up and gets water down the piston, it freezes and jams lol I've had to remove the wheel and torch the piston to heat it to melt the ice to unseize it a few times. But the struts still work so I wont change them haha

My personal goal with this car if I keep it long enough, is to put it over 400 k and budget fit everything while doing it. You learn the most when you make your own parts to fix something rotfl

#6 ·
#7 ·
I'll check that this week when i get it in the garage, thanks again Jocelyn :)

My friend is still interested in that bell-housing for his template, will you let me know if you will go to the first supra quebec meet?

#8 ·
1- the info above is for the 5M, not your 3...something (!)
2- I will for sure go to the Meets in July, but that is far away. If you need it before LMK.

#9 ·
I'm sure I can find a similar procedure in the camry manuals I have in my stash of info, I'll have a look (3sfe)

For the bellhousing if worse comes to worse, we will come to you. Hes working on his engine now and hasnt gotten to the custom mounting of the tranny just yet :p

It might not be before july before he might even need it LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.