2000 Ford F-150 Brakes Revisited. Seeking Advice [Archive] - Toyota CelicaSupra Forums

: 2000 Ford F-150 Brakes Revisited. Seeking Advice

DreadyDiggs
04-01-2010, 09:27 PM
My father's truck. 5.4L with 4 wheel disc brakes, 4 wheel ABS.

I put on rear pads and rotors so he could pass inspection. I didn't see anything wrong with the fronts at that time. It passed inspection. Inspector pulled the left side wheels.

Truck was pulling to the left while braking. We narrowed it down to LF brake hose. I replaced it, bled that line, but did not grease slides (my fault). SLIGHTLY better, but not 100%

NOW. RF is metal to metal on outer pad. Inner pad has maybe 1/32s left. Truck of course still pulling to left.

When I pulled RF wheel before inspection, I didn't see anything wrong. Now it's bare.

So it's definitely getting pads and rotors on the front, and getting greased down good. Do you think that's all that's needed? (Donkey2 does). I didn't have time to compress the caliper to make sure it wasn't locked up, but, yea...advice? Haven't done this enough to just go on my gut yet.

sickntwstdtoy
04-01-2010, 09:38 PM
As long as you lube everything with brake grease not bearing grease like I so often sadly see, and the piston slides back fairly easily (have the bleeder open while pushing it back) you should be fine. Don't hesitate to sand the crap off the slides that I assure you is there as its a ford on the east coast.
Note that I mentioned to push the caliper piston back with the bleeder open.......any time you can get old fluid out and new fluid in a brake system its a good thing.

dannymk2
04-01-2010, 11:34 PM
i usually use a turkey baster to take the brake fluid out the the reservoir, fill with new fluid, and bleed until the fluid is clean and no air. just make sure the caliper isnt sticking when your done. even though you can compress them, sometimes they stick just enough where they hang up.

DreadyDiggs
04-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, I have the parts and just need to grab some brake grease. Wish me luck on finally fixing this truck's brakes problems.

After this maybe my father will admit his Diamante has warped rotors haha.

DreadyDiggs
04-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Installed pads and rotors on the front today.

Packed bearings, cleaned (wire brush) and greased the slides.

For some reason the truck still wants to pull to the left when braking. LF rubber brake hose is new. Any other suggestions? I'll yank the rear calipers and grease those slides too, since I didn't have grease then.

DreadyDiggs
04-08-2010, 11:04 PM
So upon further inspection today, I noticed something weird. This truck pulls to the left, but eats the right pads.

Racked the truck up today, and spun both wheels. LF wheels spins much more easily than RF. So eyed the pistons. Yea it's dual-piston calipers. Damn top piston wasn't even touching the back of the pad. Bottom piston was. And it's grabbing too hard.

Looks like to me new calipers are in order. It's weird that the RF side is the side that gets eaten, but yet it pulls to the left. Gotta love hydraulics.

DreadyDiggs
04-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Problem solved. Replaced RF brake hose and bled. Forgot that when I changed the pads, the pistons gave me no problems, so they couldn't be stuck.