Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

grant steering wheels

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  trdmkii 
#1 ·
i bought a grant gt steering wheel with the adaptor plate that it said i needed was just wondering if any one has done this before i try it and cat take back :? thanks

#2 ·
I have a grant on my car and I love it. yes the adapter plate is needed. you will see once you get it apart. I would suggest going to your local autozone adn getting a steeringwheel puller to get the old stocker off. otherwize your going to have a hell of a time.

sparkman said:
i bought a grant gt steering wheel with the adaptor plate that it said i needed was just wondering if any one has done this before i try it and cat take back :? thanks

#3 ·
It's a little strange

I have changed the steering wheels in both my '85's and they both came off fairly easily. It was like a 10-minute task. But I have heard of folks that needed the puller. Give it a try. You might surprise yourself. Whatever you do, don't haul away on just one side of the wheel. It's on a spline and it needs to come off straight. Rocking it just a little bit helped with mine.

#4 ·
Mine hasnt been off since I bought the Sup in '89, came off easily!!

#5 ·
Toyota steering wheels are easy to come out and no need for steering wheel pullers....

this is what you have to do....

first... make sure the steering wheel is straight before removing any screws or bolts
second, remove the horn button by removing the two screws from behind the steering wheel...
third, loosen the 19mm nut the holds the steering wheel shaft tot he steering wheel.... loosen the nut until you just have a few threads left
lastly.... give the steering wheel a wiggling action to loosen it up on the steering shaft and you might have to give it some blow to make it free.... and once it is loosen you are ready to install the adapter plate and your new GRANT steering wheel

#6 ·
The most important step is #3!!! If you take the nut all the way off and pull back hard enough, it is possible to lose your front teeth or get a concussion!!! I was very lucky when I did this on my truck years ago, but still remember having an impression in my upper lip for several days!!!

#7 ·
Flyin' Hawaiian said:
The most important step is #3!!! If you take the nut all the way off and pull back hard enough, it is possible to lose your front teeth or get a concussion!!! I was very lucky when I did this on my truck years ago, but still remember having an impression in my upper lip for several days!!!
:rotfl:

LOL!!! That is so funny (and true) because I've done that also!

#8 ·
thanks guys i will try to be careful :lol: i have a steering wheel puller i just wasent sure if the grant was compatable i guess thats what i should have asked because i have been burnt before 8) oh by the way i think i have a set of mud flaps that came off my 85 supra dont need them got erebuni ground effects on my car later folks

#11 ·
if you look at my avatar you will see my grant gt steering wheel installed, it was very easy, but make sure you hook up the horn the correct way...or it will aways go off...there are two ways to hook it up...lol.

it is easy, just loosen the nut with a few threads left and then pull on it a few times, mine came off easy and so did my brothers 85 rolla gts....

I love my steering wheel...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.