Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Brake conversion

213K views 514 replies 68 participants last post by  Restomod 
#1 · (Edited)
Brake conversion ***Now complete***

Swap #1 with wheel spoke clearance issues.

Hub:1990 to 1992 Infiniti M30 uses a floating disc and is 4x114.3. Must change studs to 12x1.5mm and center bore is 66.1mm, machine down to 60.1mm. Hub reg is 68mm. Will clear MPV disc.

Caliper:1990 to 1996 Infiniti Q45 2 piston.

Disc:1992 to 1995 4WD MPV redrilled to 4x114.3.

Napa Online

"# of Bolt Holes : 5
Bolt Circle Diameter : 4.5"
Brake Rotor Diameter : 10.86"
Brake Rotor Discard Thickness : 1.02"
Brake Rotor Thickness New : 1.1"
Brake Rotor Type : Disc Brake Rotor Only
Center Hole Diameter : 2.84"
Height : 2.52"
Maximum Lateral Runout : .004"
Vented / Solid : Vented
"

Rock Auto

Swap #2

Hub:1990 to 1992 Infiniti M30 uses a floating disc and is 4x114.3. Must change studs to 12x1.5mm and center bore is 66.1mm, machine down to 60.1mm. Hub reg is 68mm. Will clear MPV disc.

Caliper:1990 to 1996 Z32 Nissan 300ZX Turbo or 1991 to 1996 300ZX NA 4 piston.

Disc:1992 to 1995 4WD MPV redrilled to 4x114.3.

Napa Online

"# of Bolt Holes : 5
Bolt Circle Diameter : 4.5"
Brake Rotor Diameter : 10.86"
Brake Rotor Discard Thickness : 1.02"
Brake Rotor Thickness New : 1.1"
Brake Rotor Type : Disc Brake Rotor Only
Center Hole Diameter : 2.84"
Height : 2.52"
Maximum Lateral Runout : .004"
Vented / Solid : Vented
"

Rock Auto

Will add more later.

12-09-2003

Guys working on a front brake conversion for the MK2 that will be more affordable. Almost there. Will fit 15" and bigger wheels. There may be some limitations though.

Here is a sneak peek at it. The cardboard is temporary and is there for a reason, I'll explain later.

I should have everything worked out by the new year. Just waiting for parts, holidays to start and exams to finish.

Once completed I will post the conversion on the web so anyone can do it themselves.

See less See more
#53 ·
Nick

You changed your user name!

Check out the brakes link on my site (link is below). I added some pics to give everyone an idea of what we are dealing with here.

If I order the Wilwoods or Colemans I'll design the hat and get a quote on getting them fabricated. I know what material to use and the minimum material mounting specs. I will pickup the material myself to save on the cost of that as well.

For those wanting to save even more money I may try and pick up a Legend disc from a wrecker just to try it. If I did my research correctly these might be a perfect fit and best yet no machining costs. I just love the fact that it has the correct bolt pattern to go over the hub and mount on to the wheel studs. Also the center hole is not too big, 3.9mm difference. That's less than 2mm gap between the disc center and hub center.

I still don't know why the Japanese guys would want to machine the hub and disc? Then make a spacer for the caliper? They have all those cars as domestics over there and sourcing parts should be easy and cheap for them.

Like Frank says
I guess theres more than one way to skin a cat huh?

#54 ·
rsdeo said:
I still don't know why the Japanese guys would want to machine the hub and disc? Then make a spacer for the caliper? They have all those cars as domestics over there and sourcing parts should be easy and cheap for them.
They might have just overlooked some options. Also there could be an unseen reason why they went the route they did.

I'll email the webmaster of hirostyle.com and ask for some info. And when I have some free time Ill search around to see if I can find any other options for brakes.

#55 ·
ok, ,heres what im going to do. i can get rotor adaptors made. i will buy the coleman 11x1in rotors and make a spacer to go between the caliper and mounting point to push it as close to the strut as i can. then i will make the rotor adaptor the appropriate thickness to mount the rotor centered with the caliper. the spacers and adaptors will be plasma cut. once i have all the dimensions sorted out ill see what the guy will charge me to make them for us if anyone is interested. i already have some 0 offset 15's and want to be able to use them.
william

#57 ·
ok, ,heres what im going to do. i can get rotor adaptors made. i will buy the coleman 11x1in rotors and make a spacer to go between the caliper and mounting point to push it as close to
the strut as i can. then i will make the rotor adaptor the appropriate thickness to mount the rotor centered with the caliper. the spacers and adaptors will be plasma cut. once i have all the dimensions sorted out ill see what the guy will charge me to make them for us if anyone is interested. i already have some 0 offset 15's and want to be able to use them.
William unless I'm missing something your idea to move the caliper inwards toward the strut will only really work one way. Take a look at the image of the caliper mounted to the strut on my site.

You will notice that the caliper is mounted on the outside face of the strut caliper mount. The caliper is threaded not the strut caliper mounts. The bolts run through the strut caliper mounts and into the caliper. If you want to mount the caliper on the rear of the mount you need to make an adapter, but there will be no room for it because the disc will be pushed closer to mount outside face. You could open up the caliper mount holes and thread the strut to solve this. Not a good idea. Cross thread and you have to change the strut not the caliper. A lot more work.

I tried to look at all the options on mounting the Z32 caliper and the default placement is the best.

Toyota makes 4 piston calipers for all their trucks, but you need an adapter or welding to mount them to the MK2 strut. Reason I chose the Z32 caliper, it bolts straight on.

I'll email the webmaster of hirostyle.com and ask for some info. And when I have some free time Ill search around to see if I can find any other options for brakes.
Cool Frank. I think the reason for all the extra work they did was just to use the stock R32 disc. We'll see.

If you go the rotor adapter route, check pricing.

The manufacturing discount, especially with aluminum, gets much better by each qty 10.

I am getting another quote from another fabricator, as they did the V2 shifter. Nice work and timely production.
Thanks Jim, but I don't know how many people are going to do this swap. I thought once I get everything resolved I would just post all the specs with a how-to on my site and anyone wanting to do it could do it themselves.

#59 ·
well, most likely i will remove the steel insterts from the caliper. than i will prolly weld nuts to the mounting holes of the stock caliper mount. the bolt will then go through the caliper, the spacer, the stock mount, ,and thread into the nut. this is for my car. most people may not want to do it this way but im not worried about it. also, if it looks like the rotor may hit the nuts, i may just tap the stock mounting braket as you mentioned and then drill the holes in the caliper so they will allow the correct size bolt to pas through for a tight fit. i have extra strus so am not worried, plus, youd have to overtighten it alot to strip it.
william

#61 ·
Why do you need pad spacers if you are using a Z32 Caliper on a Z32 rotor? I dont get it!
The only way to use the Z32 discs is to do a lot of machining on the hub and to fabricate a 10mm thick bracket. Yes the Z32 disc has the perfect diameter and width dimensions, but the hat height is too high. I don't really like the idea of machining material away from parts unless there is no alternative. Why weaken anything.

I think there is a better solution than what the Japanese guys did, I thought of using the Z32 calipers before I even knew anyone had already done it. No Toyota 4 piston calipers would fit the stock MK2 strut caliper mount so my next step was to go to Nissan... then Suburu etc.

My idea unfortunately involves a disc width that is some what narrower than the stock Z32 disc, I could not find a suitable wider disc. In order to use a narrower disc it would be safer to use the shims. If the pads wear too much with out the shims the pistons may pop out. A bad thing.

#62 ·
Picked up an 87-91 Acura Legend rotor today and tried mounting it on the MK2 hub. Unfortunately the ID of the rotor was too small to mount over the MK2 hub. The outer edge of the MK2 hub will need to be cut away.

It can be done, but something I don't want to do. I'll have to try another rotor or go with a custom hat.

#64 ·
how much do they cost and how thick is the adaptor?
william

#65 ·
BlackSupra said:
http://www.dba.com.au/5000series/5000.asp?id=6868

Lotus Elise? 280 x 26 (2 piece)

Im sure there was some comment about these disks elsewhere, but i think they were the factory replacement ones being too weak, not these 2 piece ones.
I saw these. The OE discs on the Elise are aluminum to save weight, but don't last.

I thought of these, but the overall disc thickness with the hat is too wide. Also the hat will need redrilling because the center hole is too small and the bolt pattern is 4X95.25. May have issues here as the hat diameter may be too small.

#66 ·
rsdeo said:
Picked up an 87-91 Acura Legend rotor today and tried mounting it on the MK2 hub. Unfortunately the ID of the rotor was too small to mount over the MK2 hub. The outer edge of the MK2 hub will need to be cut away.
Did/would have the friction surface lined up with the caliper and pads? IOW, is the hat the correct height?

Jamie

#67 ·
Keep the suggestions coming guys. It would be nice to find an OE disc that would fit with little or no mods.

I think the Legend disc is the best bet. If I had a spare MK2 hub I would try machining its outer edge to get the Legend disc on and see if the offset is where I calculated it to be.

Anyone have a spare hub I could machine and try? You will get it back, though not as wide. :lol:

I added a picture on my site of the Z32 caliper mounted to the MK2 strut with a 17" wheel. The picture was taken from behind. You can see all the extra room. Just go to the brake link.

Also the anti rattle spring on the Z32 calipers come in two sizes and are dirt cheap (>$5 each) from the dealer. They come in two widths 26mm (41090-30P01) and 30mm (41090-40P02). If we use a narrower disc the 26mm spring should be fine. I will pick up a set and try them out. One less mod to do.

I have to put this project to one side for a week or two.

I've got some major issues with my dads second gen. '88 Maxima. It's been a good reliable car until now. Not much money has been spent on it for repairs.

Just replaced the rear disc/caliper/pads (second time for the caliper and pads since new) and now the pedal is soft when the engine is running. Master cylinder needs replacing. I replaced the original two years ago with a rebuilt unit. These are a pain to get the reservoir on. Pressed in not bolted on as the MK2. I wonder if the MK2 unit would work?

While bleeding the front brakes I noticed the driver side outer cv boot was ripped open. Still the original from the factory, I guess lubing them twice a year for fifteen years did help. Most FWD cars cv boots don't last that long. Luckily MK2 cv boots seem to last for ever. No twisting, just up and down motion helps.

A/C not working last summer. Second compressor gone.

Tranni is slipping a little. The big one.

Why always does this happen in the winter months?

#68 ·
ghostrider said:
rsdeo said:
Did/would have the friction surface lined up with the caliper and pads? IOW, is the hat the correct height?

Jamie
Didn't really look. I'm going to keep the rotor and give the hub assembly to Dean. He has one as a daily driver. I won't know if the hat height is correct or even close until I mount it on the hub. I will try measuring it Friday and get back to you guys. Would you like to see pics of it?

By the way the top of the hat is 7mm thick. So by my guess we would need a 5mm washer between the caliper and caliper mount to move the caliper offset out.

#69 ·
those pics at the bottom are great. i dont think a spacer would be needed for what i want to do. looks like moving the caliper to the other side of the mount will push t back perfect to clear the 15's i have. then find an apropriate rotor that will bolt behind the hub like stock. might need a spacer there but that is easily made. looks like i need to see how thich the hat on those vw discs are. or would they have to mount from the front as well?
william

#70 ·
williamb82 said:
those pics at the bottom are great. i dont think a spacer would be needed for what i want to do. looks like moving the caliper to the other side of the mount will push t back perfect to clear the 15's i have. then find an apropriate rotor that will bolt behind the hub like stock. might need a spacer there but that is easily made. looks like i need to see how thich the hat on those vw discs are. or would they have to mount from the front as well?
william
You could try mounting the VW discs like the MK2 discs mount if you mount the caliper to the rear of the mount face, but again you need to redrill it. The VW disc has a smaller center hole and the bolt pattern is 5X100.

#71 ·
i know they have to be redrilled. thats not a problem. what im wondering is how thick is the hat? i can make some measurements and figure out how thick of a rotor spacer to make if i can find that out. guess i can go buy a disc with my next check to check it out if need be.
william

#72 ·
I tried a set of MKIV calipers today on the MKII that I borrowed.

MKIV calipers come in two flavours, have the same mounting points and are interchangable on the NA and Turbo.

NA 2 piston front and 1 piston rear.
Turbo 4 piston front and 2 piston rear.

Neither will bolt straight up like the Z32 fronts on the MKII.

I was hoping the rear 2 piston calipers would fit, but the caliper mounting points were too narrower by 20mm. Also the the caliper monting flanges are too thick because of the aluminum construction.

I will try other make calipers for the rears to try and get a perfect fit.

#73 ·
Just a quick word on the Legend rotors since I had one and redid the brakes by myself. The 87-90 Legends used a 4x114 bolt pattern while the 91-95 used 5x114.
If the later model rotors are the ones you want they'll have to be redrilled, assuming I'm following what's going on correctly. However if you do want to use the later model rotors you can find them for a 94-95 type 2 Legend, not second gen, type 2. These were the cars that used the more powerful 230hp engine and had upgraded brakes to go with the added power. IIRC they were all the 94-95 coupes and the 94-95 GS model sedans. The brakes were thicker and used a two piston caliper, they were also used on the NSX so big brake kits are offered if you go that route.
If you use the ones from the first gen Legends, 87-90, you are pretty well stuck with the stock ones unless someone came out with an upgrade in the last year since I haven't been paying much attention. I don't know if this will help anyone but I'm bored and it's kinda interesting stuff.

#74 ·
RWDCelicadude said:
Just a quick word on the Legend rotors since I had one and redid the brakes by myself. The 87-90 Legends used a 4x114 bolt pattern while the 91-95 used 5x114.
If the later model rotors are the ones you want they'll have to be redrilled, assuming I'm following what's going on correctly. However if you do want to use the later model rotors you can find them for a 94-95 type 2 Legend, not second gen, type 2. These were the cars that used the more powerful 230hp engine and had upgraded brakes to go with the added power. IIRC they were all the 94-95 coupes and the 94-95 GS model sedans. The brakes were thicker and used a two piston caliper, they were also used on the NSX so big brake kits are offered if you go that route.
If you use the ones from the first gen Legends, 87-90, you are pretty well stuck with the stock ones unless someone came out with an upgrade in the last year since I haven't been paying much attention. I don't know if this will help anyone but I'm bored and it's kinda interesting stuff.
First gen. Legend rotors would be the easiest to fit with the 4X114.3 bolt pattern.

I'll start seriously looking into a disc setup next week once everything settles down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.