Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Whiteline Front Sway Bar

8K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  ddd228 
#1 ·
Finally got around to installing the Whiteline Front Sway Bar, from the Raptor group buy last year. I currently have the T3 gtx2 lower control arms and tension control rods so I was hoping all the parts would cohabit friendly. Not to worry! The Whiteline bar fit perfectly, the quality of the manufacturer is spot on. It is a bit heavier than I expected at 15.6 lbs, but if I recall that is just a bit heavier than a stock bar. I thought Whiteline bars would be hollow, but it seems more like a solid bar. The adjustment holes (3/8") on the ends is a nice feature. I also have a custom 1.25" hollow front bar, weighs 8 lbs, and had a 1.25" solid bar weighing 21.5 lbs. So design make a pretty big difference in weight.

Since I have the T3 lower control arms, the sway bar endlink mounting for me is a bit different. Didn't use the supplied endlinks, although they look well made, but simply used my existing home made adjustable endlinks. Fortunately, everything I was already using was also 3/8".
Mounting bolts to the endlinks are 3/8-24 fine thread hardened.

The clearance from the crank pulley on my 1JZ was well over 1" so that was a relief. Lots of concerns regarding this and Whiteline seems to have taken care of the issue. All clearances are good, bar to tension control rod, bar to frame.

Because of the T3 lower control arm, to make use of the adjustable holes in the bar ends, I will need to move the bottom end of the endlink to different locations on the lower arm. Not too big of a deal.

Now to try out the car at the next autocross. Been a while since I brought the Supra out, but the new changes should be interesting.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Awesome review. Sounds like someone did the work to relay all the suggested improvements. :)

#3 ·
Thanks to that person for forwarding our hobby for the betterment of all!!

#4 ·
I also have the T3 GTX2 control arms and whiteline bars (not installed yet, still on addcos). I noticed the issue with the endlinks already and actually contacted Gabe at T3, he got me to send him a load of pictures etc. and is supplying different endlinks that will fit properly in double shear between the 'ears' on the control arm and work with the whiteline bar so you can use the adjustment holes without moving the bottom of the endlink as well. Once we get it all figured he will offer it as an option for new GTX2 control arm purchases and as a kit you can order on its own.

#6 ·
Once we get it all figured he will offer it as an option for new GTX2 control arm purchases and as a kit you can order on its own.
That's great! If it were more an issue, I'd make an adapter to the lower arm double shear ears, turning the lower endlink mount 90 degrees. Would have the endlinks attach to the bar end on the inside edge of the bar end instead. A bit of fabrication. If I were totally bored and had nothing else to do, it would be a fun project!

#5 ·
Not sure how many or who had a hand in the development of these bars, but I definitely know it is a huge effort and investment in time/money to pursue these projects! Even the center bushing brackets from Whiteline installed easily, with no mods needed (vs. the original Addcos). Great instructions, thorough hardware package, wonderful quality and shipping prep. Big thanks to all contributors to this project.

Would highly encourage anyone and everyone who doesn't have an aftermarket sway bar for these cars, pick up a set of these while available. If history hold true, these won't be available for long, and once gone, will be gone till someone makes an even bigger effort to bring them back again.

#8 ·
Yo Seamus!

I'm trying to play with different setups to minimize understeer. Trying the 285/30-18 square again (remove 315 from rears), adjust front to rear ride heights, front spring rates, and front sway bar settings. Not trying to be fastest in the country anymore (haha!), just want to get the car more enjoyable to drive, at the speeds I'm capable of. Haven't had a Addco front bar in years, so unable to tune with a softer bar than my 1.25" hollow. The Whitelines seemed to be a good opportunity to help a group buy, and stock my shelves with more parts :)
Yeah, too bad the Whiteline is a solid bar, but it is well made and offers quite a bit of adjustability, so that is fine.

I want to make my shocks work more, and depend less on the massive spring rates.

Hope all is good with you and family!

#9 · (Edited)
The Whiteline have always been easy to install for the most part.

All it takes is communication, not lots of money. I'm just happy another company was willing to do it.

:)

#11 ·
You are starting out on the "soft" setting-Cool.
Did those end links come with the kit?
Mine came with yellow bushings. I didn't like the road noise in my "L" *daily driver*,so I made some bushing from rubber.
They way I have it set up,the strut rod contacts the sway bar..."BONK",sometimes and I'm used to it.

My Addco rear bar was too stiff,so I added end link bushings there.It's quite neutral,now.
Maybe the stock rear bar was all that I needed!:32:

#14 ·
Always an attractive venue at Packwood. Would love to go up and visit again. Not happening this year though. Bit too much personal demands going on and time is tight. Actually, funds are a tight too as I did look briefly at going up for the Tour and expenses are up some this year.

Side note, ran the Supra for first time this year, with the Whiteline bar and some new tires. The car was much faster than I could drive it. Will have to bring it out for another event, get used to the improved cornering grip, maybe pick up some time. Supra made it through 4 runs, no breakage. It's a win.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.