Driving Miss Swan....The Continuing Story - Page 49

Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast
    On my old drivers side mirror,I stuffed some closed cell foam in there to remove the vibrating WOBBLE.It was terrible!
    The one that I have now is OK.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the tip on wedging some foam in there.

Now if I could get the glass to pivot a bit further on the little motorized mechanism I'd be happy!
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Moving Along.....

Here's some pix of what I've been up to lately.

Got the wiper arms cleaned and painted. Anybody who's seen the car in person knows they were bright red with rust. They cleaned up great with some little Scotch-Brite buffs in my Dremel, and it's just the rattle-can Krylon that Dave recommended.

The cam covers need another coat of color on the letters. I baked them in the sun for several hours, and the red and yellow shrunk down enough that I can see some shadows in the paint, so I'll give them another color coat on the lettering.

And I scrubbed "Timing Cover #3" in the sink to get it nice and clean. Then I noticed some nasty molding flash that had to go, so I spent some time cleaning that off and blending it all in. Then I noticed since it was so clean, that the plastic is glossy, BAD for paint adhesion, so I scuff sanded it. Then I noticed it had some nasty low spots, so I wound up block sanding it. Just waiting for Saturday when It'll be 85*, and perfect for wrinkle painting. I'll scuff off any remaining gloss with a Scotch-Brite pad.

At this point I'm going to declare Summer is over, and get to work on all the delayed maintenance that it needs done. I'll back it out and drain the coolant, then pull her back in and start pulling the radiator and all the stuff on the intake side. That will let me change the timing belt and tensioner easily, along with the starter, fuel filter, and fuel injectors. I can cleanmost of the crud off the parts out in the garage before it get too cold, and then detail clean and check them down in the nice warm basement this winter.

And having all that stuff out of the way should make it easier to get dimensions and figure out what I want to do for an electric fan. Moving to 5000' elevation makes me want to get rid of parasitic losses like the engine-driven cooling fan so I can regain a bit of what I lost with the decreased air density her.

- Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Jim,that Krylon rattle can is BEST that I have ever used~!~~
    My entire hood was painted with that!
    When I pull off that lower cowling,below the wipers,that go on it.
    All 3 wiper arms have it.
    NO ISSUES!
    That paint went on my battery hold down,last week.
    I used plastic paint=gloss black on my timing cover AND my radiator shroud.
    Shiny black.
    I cleaned and painted my lower plastic engine cover with WHITE plastic paint.Just the upper side.
    Easier to find lost bolts!
    Yes,I still use one.

I didn't go with electric cooling fans because my alternator is still the stock one.
    I went with LED tail and brake and turn signal lights.
    The most difficult part was changing out the turn signal flasher!Mod was done by Ray for me.
    My LED fogs have not gone in,yet.
    These are the same ones that Greg('82 Supra) likes.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-LED-50...72.m2749.l2649

I ALWAYS use my fogs during the day time,but I can see the voltage drop with the Halogens.,.

I'll swap out the alternator when I have the front of the engine and the radiator out. Gives me a little more room in there to maneuver!
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

You may choose to shoot the radiator shroud with black plastic paint.
    I like the look.

I also BROKE the lower shroud on PURPOSE to make it easier to remove.,past the lower hose.

There's a lower radiator/fan shroud? I thought it was one-piece.

I'll have to look closer. Probably not a big deal (yeah, right....) as I'm planning on pulling it all anyway.....
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

The lower part of the one piece radiator shroud encompassed the lower radiator hose. You will see.
    Break it!

Quote Originally Posted by ddd228 View Post
    You may choose to shoot the radiator shroud with black plastic paint.
    I like the look.

I also BROKE the lower shroud on PURPOSE to make it easier to remove.,past the lower hose.
    I had a few questions about your engine bay. Is that a laptop fan next to your coil that you use to cool your coil down? Would you recommend someone to install it or did you just put it there for peace of mind? Also, what is all the insulation for?

I was having a hot soak issue and the ignition coil gets REALLY hot. The hot soak issue was not caused my the coil overheating.
    Then, I covered up the the AFM for the same reason and that helped a little.The AFM has a temp sensor that changes the air-fuel ratio. If it senses a high temperature,it leans out the mixture as the ECU sees it.

I did the shiny stuff over my aluminum Chimpy intake tube because it sits right above the exhaust manifold.
    Cool air is GOOD air.
    The under hood temps are quite high.The coil was temped @ 160*.The battery was @ 130*.
    I thought that the firewall was picking up heat from the engine and baking me inside of the cabin.

The cabin heat is mostly transferred from my tranny,not the under hood heat.
    My transmission tunnel was not treated with insulation,as it should have been.
    The A/C was yanked out,years ago.

Thread Information