NAL Leather Seat Skin Install Tips/Tricks/Problems thread

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar

NAL Leather Seat Skin Install Tips/Tricks/Problems thread

I know theres going to be a fair number of questions about installing the new Northwest Auto Leather seat and panel skins, so I figured we should have a dedicated thread for it to keep the forum clean. So instead of starting a new thread with your questions or tips please ask/post them here.

To start off, Mr Malloy has been gracious enough to host and put up the install guide I wrote. Here it is...

https://www.celicasupra.com/leather/L...stallGuide.htm

That covers the front seat installation in detail. I'll add rear seat and interior panel install info after I've done them myself and if I figure you'll need to know something or a skill that you wouldn't have gained from doing the front seats (definatly the hardest part).

Please try and stay on topic in this thread and cut to the point. I imagine people will be reading through this thread for many years in the future as they get their new skins.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I have started the installation of my seats leather skin, and I have a question / issue with one part.
    It is about the rear seat, bottom part that make both right & left sides as one large piece.
    On the perimeter of the piece, there is a sleeve that goes around the left, front & right sides of the part.
    I can slide a steel wire in it and attach it with hog rings, although the OE had steel wire in the front, and a plastic buldge (sp?) on the sides.
    But the rear of that piece, the one closer to the trunk, does not have a sleeve, nor one of those NAL rubber strips to grab onto with the hog rings. The leather is folded back and sew to form a loop (as a sleeve) but both ends are sewed to close them.

EDIT: as from Daniel, a NAL installer, the proper way to preform an
    opening to slide the steel wire is as the yellow line:
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

I'll take a look at my rears asap and let you know how NAL did it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I worked for about 6 years as an upholsterer in the aircraft business doing interiors on general aviation planes in a private shop and the process is very similar to what is done with automotive interiors. The guide you wrote up is great.

I would like to add that if people ae experiencing problems with shrunken foam, you can use a steamer (the think you use of getting wrinkles out of suits) to get it to expand back to the proper shape. I suppose running a steaming iron over the foam would work. The heat and water make the foam expand.

Once foam has been crushed enough, it won't go back to the original shape. After a while it will wear back down. Luckily, so will your new cover. If the cover is loose, steaming the leather can help because it causes it to shrink. Don't get it too damp or you will get water marks.

Polyfill/dacron is a great way to build up loose areas. Most people don't realize that it can be seperated so it isn't always so thick. Once your piece is cut to the right size, you can peel off the top or bottom if it needs to be thinner. This is a good way to keep things from looking bulged if you are trying to build up just a small area.

Good luck everyone.
    --Peter--
    85 Supra P 6M-GE

Please check your rear seat backs

1st- I have edited my post above, and showing where to do the cut on the leather for the rear seat, bottom part.

2nd: PLEASE CHECK YOURS BEFORE ATTEMP TO INSTALL!
    After spending 5 hours on the rear seat back, I found that NAL
    sewed one leather piece up-side-down, on BOTH of my rear seat back.
    The first one I installed, naturally look like shit because of it....
    I even had to cut a stich to be able to go around a corner.

EDIT: After close inspection, they installed a left part in the right assembly,
    and the right into the left... :cry:

Check yours:
    the parts are the parts in between the two back seats, the ones that touch together when the seats are up, in the middle of the car.
    If you check that part, you will see that it is wider near the headrest end,
    with a little curve to it.
    On mine (both) the wider areas are at the base.
    Guess I'll have to return theses parts to NAL.

Edit: I had the remove the pic links, as no longer valid.
    Email me if you need them
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content

give them a call or email about this, they'll straighten it out. I havn't had a chance to look at my rear seats yet, sorry about that. I'll try and do that this week

CelicaSupra.com Member Funkycheeze's Avatar
    was i supposed to recieve 3 sets of door panel vinyl pieces? i only have the large one for the door panel and a smaller one for the main backseat panel, but am missing the one that goes kinda beside the seatbelt
    '84 P-type, 5spd, torrid red, black/grey leather
    Built 7MGTE (JE's, ARP studs, MHG), BOSS STG4 60mm, AEM standalone, R154, 2 1/2" IC and 3" turbo back - the works
    Coilovers, ROH wheels, 4 corner BBK, Konis, ADDCO bars, PST bushings etc. etc.

sounds like it. Send them an email and get it straightened out. The people doing the cutting didn't realize there was a third pair of panels till most had shipped, they said they would send out the missing panel right away. They may have forgotten about you, just email them.

CelicaSupra.com Member Funkycheeze's Avatar
    ok cool
    '84 P-type, 5spd, torrid red, black/grey leather
    Built 7MGTE (JE's, ARP studs, MHG), BOSS STG4 60mm, AEM standalone, R154, 2 1/2" IC and 3" turbo back - the works
    Coilovers, ROH wheels, 4 corner BBK, Konis, ADDCO bars, PST bushings etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by I had this reply from NAL, Nancy
    They took a look at the problem and it was sewn wrong.
    They admitted the error, and taking the appropriate actions to correct it.
    Will keep you updated.
    -Jocelyn,

Thread Information