Resto mod from rolling shell - Page 22

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member
    I DID see those corner/up down braces and thought it was a great idea, however I was worried about clearance issues with an LS swap and so forth. How much extra space in the engine bay do those reinforcements take up? It seems like the corner brace would get in the way of the brake/clutch masters

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    They could complicate installing replacement masters and such, that is possible, but they sit above them so there wouldn't be interference normally.

Yeah the front bars could cut into the space a really wide motor takes up, though an LS isn't as wide as a 1uz. But the bars don't actually extend that far off the strut tower. One could of course make some that are removable and or make them go the upper rad support, then permantly enforce the upper rad support and tie it to the frame rails (there is no significant strength in the upper rad support stock btw).
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend View Post
    They could complicate installing replacement masters and such, that is possible, but they sit above them so there wouldn't be interference normally.

Yeah the front bars could cut into the space a really wide motor takes up, though an LS isn't as wide as a 1uz. But the bars don't actually extend that far off the strut tower. One could of course make some that are removable and or make them go the upper rad support, then permantly enforce the upper rad support and tie it to the frame rails (there is no significant strength in the upper rad support stock btw).
    I'm definitely considering the strut to corner, perhaps with some heim joints to allow for removal.
    It says in your thread that you created your own corner piece from 12 gauge to weld the brace into. However I can't find any documentation of how exactly you went about it, and I'm not sure of any rules of thumb to go by when it comes to plates for structural attachment.

I know the upper rad support is weak cause parts of mine are bent. I didn't pay attention taking things off but hopefully everything will fit back on ok. I could also overlap some angle iron with the upper part of the mount, but not sure about then tying it to the tower/frame... I need a visualization of how much room an LS + accessories is going to take up before I think about that.

The other thing I noticed in your 82 tear apart is you mentioned the child seat tie in plates in the back are welded to the frame rail. Was thinking of a rear brace going from shock tower to shock tower to both tie ins, instead of contracting out a rear roll bar that incorporated the shock towers. It seems to me for the rear shock tower brace most of them are just attached by bolting it to the top of the shock bolt?

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

There was one that was shock to shock directly, which isn't the best arrangement since the shocks are isolated from the body with rubber bushings. Then there was one that attached at the rear seat upper latch mount points. In fact I made one myself out of a piece of angle aluminum, and it works quite well. It definitely isn't enough on its own, the rear shock steel is floppy the way its mounted. I had the same idea you had with the child seat mounts, but I wanted to go further and make one that tied to the rear seat belt shoulder strap mounts (they're for the Euro cars, but all markets got the steel and nuts for them in the chassis). Tying the towers to each other and the frame rigidly is great, but the C pillars need to be tied in more too.

Carlos Brown made a rear strut tower bar similar to what you are proposing, he's posted pictures of it recently in his FS thread but previously in a build thread too. I think Don Lew did something similar as well.

Its on my todo list for my black 86, but way down the priority order.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I believe I saw the Carlos bar in another thread when I was researching ideas for the back. But his ties to the rear shocks, though it does run along the side of the tower for bracing. It's still a great idea, especially if you want to keep the rear seats and don't have kids.
    For everyone's reference, here is a pic

So ideal in the back would be some sort of contraption with mounting points at the seat latch, rear seat shoulder strap mount, and then the child seat mounts. I can do that easier than outsourcing a cager.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Here is a pic of the rear seat complete with shoulder belts. Showing where the C pillar mount for those is.

There is another reinforced bolt hole below that but I don't remember what it's for as my car has been apart for too long.

Forgot the pics link? Seeing nothing in the post right above.

I think Carlos's setup bolted under the top shock bushings at least. Definitely the child seat latches too.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Hmm, I can see Carlos's brace on mine, but the other photo looks like a bad link now.
    Either way, I will go and take some pictures of various mounting points once I start working on my own brace. Which will be whenever my steel square tubing arrives.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    In this picture you can see options regarding reinforced bolt holes in the rear structure. I'm not sure what the lower C pillar corner hole is used for.

Here is some string showing the general plan for the rear bracing.

I originally had the child seat string going to the middle of the cross bar, but then realized that was dumb.

Side note; what is this thing? It's just a big heavy piece of cast iron bolted to the roof about where the mirror is?

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Some of the first steps to a braced rear.

Thread Information