Resto mod from rolling shell - Page 21

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
    CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    For the outer camber bolts, since I was doing a full metal resto to the car I was doing the camber mod too at the same time as you are, I just trimmed the offending sheet metal off the car to get better access to the bolt head lol. Took this portion off...

Annotation 2019-05-16 125955.jpg

I don't see any spot welds there in that pic, but there must be. I'm sure I had to mig weld a bead on the edge of the steel I left there, and then clean it and seal it from inside. Unless all the spot welds were inboard of that piece, then its easy as zipping it off and prime and paint.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I too was going to remove that offending sheet, but was leaning toward just bending it out of the way. I was looking at it the other day and I don't believe there are any welds.

Either way the bolt still is so up against that edge so you would have to attach the arm beforehand and it would limit you to dropping the frame to remove the arms.

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Thats not really a limitation. The subframe, if left fully assembled, is just 4 nuts (plus brake lines). Also, I've never had need to remove an A arm separate of the rest of the rear subframe, they always come off together it seems (20 Supras can't be wrong lol). Even if you did have to remove just an arm, it likely wouldn't work out anyways. Getting the stock bolts to slide out often requires hammering on the other side of them due to the metal sleeves inside of the bushings. Come to think of it, I think I have actually unsuccessfully tried to remove an arm by itself before and been forced to drop the subframe anyways.

I was just under a mk2 yesterday, there are spot welds there. You could bend it into the wheel well, but I wouldn't bend it the other way as it will likely crack the paint when you bend it and then you'll have an enclosed space that you can't access. I must have welded the seam after zipping it off.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Your way it is then with the bolts. Adjustment head to the outside! I'll take a look at that flap and think about what I want to do with it. Right now half of it is gone on the right side anyway since that panel is gonezo right now.

I got one of those front boxes welded back on but it is some hideous welding. I almost don't want to document it. I tried prying it off, but the metal just bent, so it is for sure on there, just in the ugliest way imaginable. I was having a lot of arc blowout issues welding in tight spaces and 90 degree angles.

I went to tack on the other box and further disgrace myself; however one side has like a half an inch gap so need to re-make it with more metal.

Thread Information