Resto mod from rolling shell - Page 3

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member
    makes sense, since the whole hatch is framed. They haven't called me about holes yet, but I'm definitely not doing wiper/sprayer/keyhole. I kinda like the super 80's double spoiler though, so I might keep that. Might need a hole for the brake light cable. Do you have pictures of your hatch and install on a thread? New glass might be easiest. I already absolutely need to do the windshield, the person who did it before was.. not good, very sloppy. And I'm missing all my trim around it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Yeah my build thread has a ton on it this post is the install: https://www.celicasupra.com/forums/sh...=1#post1050409

First page and last couple have some recent pics so you can see what a bare cf hatch and hood looks like. Link on the first page to the quik latch hood pin install too, sort of a table of contents going on there so it should be easy to find.
    Hidden Content 86 parts car maybe some day race car? 3x cars, 36x brake caliper pistons.
    "You need to update your signature Gamble" - Dave

Wow beat me to it, I love the carbon advan stuff for our cars, are you gonna run exposed carbon fiber? Or will you paint over it, cant wait to see this unfold!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I was going to have them painted to match. I really want the car repainted a light blue, something like grabber blue from Ford or Miami Blue from porsche. Then black trim along the sides, black spoiler, black flares. I haven't really taken any more pictures. I took a little hiatus from working on the car, since I have to drive out to my parents. Visited Iceland which was awesome. I'm out for thanksgiving and have been working on it for the past few days. Took the rear hatch off, and lights and bumper and from bumper and fenders off. Gonna start practicing some welding here soon and might start wire wheeling off the old undercoating and peeking at how it looks. Gotta take the last stuff out of the engine bay (brake booster, fuse box, wiper motor) and drop the front subframe and steering rack.

A quick aside, looking at the front sway bar I have no clue how you remove it separately. It seems pretty boxed in?

Front sway bar is indeed a pain.

Getting the CF parts painted to match is gonna be costly. They're by no means paint ready when you get it. Little imperfections all over.
    Hidden Content 86 parts car maybe some day race car? 3x cars, 36x brake caliper pistons.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    My shell is definitely not in top condition as is, so I'm expecting the total from the body shop to be not inexpensive. My roof is all buggered up, as well as various dents and a poorly repaired rear quarter panel that needs to be looked at. I've seen quite a few pictures of what the CF parts look like after catching some UV though and I'd rather future proof them now as opposed to waiting and having to redo the coating.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Well pretty much everything I want off the car is off. Only thing left on is the wiring harness, windshield, doors, and glass. Next month I guess I have to start crawling under it and wire wheeling everything to check tricky spots for rust. Also I need to repair where the p/o cut holes for the front intercooler and see what shape my rear quarter is in, fun. Might stitch weld the shock tower and a couple other spots because why not. I'm missing bunch of ductwork for the climate control, in additional to, well the actual control part. But I'm probably gonna have to rig something up for that anyway. Pretty much every one of my vents is broken, and the dash is wrecked. So I'm probably gonna do something crazy with spray foam, alcantara and a lot of sanding. But that's way down the road.

CelicaSupra.com Member battleaxe's Avatar
    CF wouldnt be any more than a used hood. you sand the CF down, primer it, block it, base and clear. just like a used hood thats not the same colour.

Quote Originally Posted by battleaxe View Post
    CF wouldnt be any more than a used hood. you sand the CF down, primer it, block it, base and clear. just like a used hood thats not the same colour.
    You would think so, but the CF will take a ton more sanding and filler to get right and even then prolly will never look as good as an OEM piece.

CelicaSupra.com Member battleaxe's Avatar
    you use high build for the lumpyness, like all the fiberglass pieces that are large. i can agree it will take more time, but not much more time. high build is thicker and meant for smoothing. a metal hood thats in good shape will be easier than the CF, i can agree to that as well. Im just saying its not that much more work. A lot of this depends on the quality of finish of the CF piece as well. You get some really bad fiberglass over fenders that really show how wavy they can be.

Thread Information