hints on adjusting the window - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member
    My windows are good up and down....but anywhere in the middle they shake like hell when going down the road....and, their are grooves on the outside of the windows-three to four inches wide, up and down, near the back of the window.....what parts do I need to replace when I replace with new glass?
    More psi please!
    82 P-Type Red + Black Panda - SOLD
    86 P-Type Built Parts car Koni Sways - In a Tree - Tornado Victim
    85 L-Type Stock 15s - Destroyed by Debris - Tornado Victim
    85 P-Type ROH 17s, 6M(Valves, cams, etx), Mustang Dyno 154 hp/ 161 ft tq -SOLD

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member pimptrizkit's Avatar
    sounds like your gona help me seal up my celica windows. they adjust just like tha i had my drivers door apart a few times fiddling with stuff but didn't figure it out. any how, thanks alot i will now fix this when i have some spare time.

I think this writeup on window adjusting and rattles would be great in the FAQ section.

The TSRM link to door / window hardware is here:
    http://cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TS....aspx?S=BO&P=3

I'd also like to see more photos and closeups and a detailed write up on how to remove the inside door skin without breaking any clips or loosening the wrong thing.
    Bad decisions make the BEST stories.

1982 Supra P-type

1982 Specific TSRM's
    Wiring Diagrams Hidden Content
    Emissions Repair Manual Hidden Content
    Air Intake System Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gage006 View Post
    While we are on the subject of windows, how do fix the window from rattling like crazy when I roll it down? Is it as simple as removing all the door trim and tightening the bolts or does it mean that the motor is on it's way out?
    There is a black roller near the top of the door near where the rear view mirror is. Try lubricating that. I used MT90 tranny fluid on my passenger side. It may last forever, but it smells like crap. On the driver's side, I got some spray lithium grease. $5 a can at Kragen. That's the preferred lube it seems for window parts. Also squirt some down the vertical window track. Have some paper towels and good glass cleaner. It's a bear to get off the glass, and it's almost impossible not to.

The door panels come off easy enough if you know where the 4 large screws are. Two obvious ones in the door handle covered by plugs, One inside the housing for the courtesy light, and one tucked inside the flip out cover under the lower padded door handle, just on the front end.

1982 Supra P-type

1982 Specific TSRM's

Quote Originally Posted by Gage006 View Post
    Weird, both my windows seal perfectly but anytime I roll the windows down, they rattle and squeek like crazy.
    What is probably out of adjustment are the two fuzzy felt like pads that contact the window. They are easily accessible when the door panel is off and easy and intuitive to adjust. You want to loosen the bolt and snug the pad up against the glass so there is no gap remaining between the glass and the outside rubber window belt molding. The area of biggest gap is probably with the window rolled halfway down. If your windows are adjusted fine otherwise, this adjustment will tighten them up and stop most or all of the rattles and should not throw anything else out of alignment.

Don't forget to lube the black roller near the front of the door. That is what causes the squeaking and chattering, most likely. (the photo shows the approximate location). You will see it when you roll the window up and down. It's near the rear view mirror mount, about 4 inches inside the door shell. Also, don't forget to get some lithium grease, the spray stuff is great. I'm not sure if lithium is the best lubricant for the roller, but it is for the tracks and the internal door latching hardware. Whatever you use to lubricate the roller, give it the smell test. Some lubricants have a strong odor, and you don't want to close up your door panels and constantly smell what you put inside. I learned the hard way on that one for the passenger door, which I did first. Tranny lube may be slippery but it smells really bad. By the time I noticed, it was way too late.
    Last edited by sowsley; 08-16-2007 at 10:21 PM. Reason: added comment on lube smell at end of post

1982 Supra P-type

1982 Specific TSRM's

Residual rattle

I think it's time to open this thread up again. Marbleheads writeup was excellent except there were no pictures and while it sounds great when you are reading it, it can be hard to correlate his steps with the exact adjustment places on the door. Maybe it's my low IQ. Hand-Eye coordination = good. Text - understanding ability = FAIL.

On my car there is some play where the equalizer arm meets the glass guide (page BO-8 of online TSRM, bottom diagram). This is after snugging up as tight as possible the two upper felt supports (trim supports) at the top of the window. It's enough to make a rattle noise when the window is not all the way up. It's so hard to see inside the door but there must be some adjustment to snug up the lower attachment point of the equalizer arm to the glass guide.

Then there are the annoying little clicks in the linkage of the door lock assembly (residual rattle #2). There is a little rod coming from the top of the door lock solenoid that doesn't make complete contact at the top of the rod where it meets the door lock assembly. I don't think this little rod is supposed to move up and down to the point that it can make noise. The door acts like a drum, so this little click is suprisingly loud.

Pages BO-3, 4, 8, 9 of the TSRM (referenced in previous post) seem to have the best diagrams and writeups.

A buddy of mine in Texas said once there was an easy cure for rattles, the volume knob the radio. I wish I were that easily satisfied! Then again, you fix a big rattle, then there is a small one that begins to nag you. One that you never noticed before. My thought is that there is almost always some type of tightening, pad, shim or something that will stop a rattle, if you can get to it.

If someone has had some good luck lately and has fresh insight and / or photos, please post.

1982 Supra P-type

1982 Specific TSRM's

CelicaSupra.com Member
    i get that squeak that just screams while im rolling it down mostly on drivers side. its horrible, if fact i feel bad for the people at the drivethrough when i go to order...lol, im deffinitely gonna play with some grease and the snug bolts, my windows flapping around is such a ugly sound.
    Demoted to rank of Driveway Grass Killer First Class:
    1985 Toyota Celica/Supra 5M-GE 5spd 270,000 miles and ticking( no really the engine is ticking)

Does this help?

are you guys taking the mirrors off while you are doing this. when i took my mirror off the two bolts that hold the triangle mount/ track mount were way loose. when I tightened them it made a world of difference.

I just got my passenger side one adjusted out yesterday, as my car had been broken into while parked in our mall parking lot on a 10 degree evening (cold drive home). I ended up pulling the felt guides all the way back and put the black stoppers all the way to their highest point and that got this window working and sealing well. It was also adjusted towards the back side of the car so it covers more of that weather stripping by the b-pillar (I think it's the b-pillar... maybe it's a... forgive me) but there's only a sixteenth of an inch of weather stripping back there the glass isn't touching and it's well sealed. Maybe that will help you out with the sealing problem, but I doubt it will with the rattle. One last thing, I adjusted the screw that torques the top of the window towards the roof all the way out so that it brings the window in as tight as possible(the glass shop that installed my window had it all jacked up).
    Mark Lingenfelter

- 1982 P-Type Light Metallic Blue
    6mge with Rabid chimp header & 3 inch intake pipe, 2.5 inch exhaust from the header back w/ high flow cat. K&N style filter, MSD 8.5mm plug wires, irridium plugs, fog light mod, ST lowering springs, Flex-A-Lite Elec. Fan. - My daily driver with around 150k miles.

I just took off both my door panels to adjust my windows and I noticed on the inside of my passenger door it is black(but red on the outside) but my driver's door is red like the SDR color on the outside. Is anyone's else door like this or was mine maybe replaced? Also what is the plastic bag for that's between the door and the door panel?

Thread Information