Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1982 P type 1JZ GE action

35K views 183 replies 18 participants last post by  mutantcolors 
#1 · (Edited)
And so it begins, after 5 months of research and parts hunting.

Oooh shiny flywheel (thanks JZ series for being manual-swap friendly)

Had to replace the water pump pulley, might as well do 3 lightweights for half the price of the single OEM.

And where it's headed, since I haven't show it off in a while.

See less See more
#4 ·
I do not honestly know, but I got lucky in that it's VVTi but with a mechanical fan and throttle by cable, instead of hydraulic fan and electronic throttle, which is vastly more common. For $600 delivered I suspended thinking and started buying.

It has, so far, shared a lot more parts with an SC300 than we were anticipating, so while it's a true JDM model that never appeared in the states, a lot of stuff is available over the counter. When it's all done I'll do a rundown of the parts I had to buy.

#7 ·
Correct that it's basically a short stroke 2JZ. I expect right around 200 ft lbs and hp and fast revs, especially with the 16lb flywheel.
I'm trying to keep it's NA spirit in tact as well as keep reliability high, so this engine made a lot of sense. Since it's the turboless redheaded stepchild, they are cheap too.

#8 ·
How hard is it to find a header for that thing? 2jzge header probably wont fit. Then again, just because the turbo heads are different, might get lucky and the n/a heads be the same exhaust flange pattern.

#10 ·
Impossible according to my research, every last thing you get is a turbo manifold. Using the stock one...for now. If someone has a pro tip on a 2JZ header, fill me in. The entire top end is pretty much 2J on this thing.

In case anyone didn't believe that you can swap in an SC300 bellhousing, here ya go. We used the old fork because the T/O bearing clip and the clutch actuator both told us it was the right thing to do. The pivot balls were different but Mr. 19MM socket and Zippy the impact gun made quick work of that. I should have taken a before shot, the oil leaks were so bad the 5M bell was entirely coated on the inside. Saves on clutch wear I guess, hahaha.

#15 ·
I will photograph it when I'm back over there, we're doing it at my friend's house where the hoist and welder and $10k in other tools reside. This motor is really unpopular LOL, so aftermarket manifolds that aren't turbo are just not a thing people seem to build, when multiple turbo configurations were available from the factory.

We found quite a few videos from Russia and NZ of folks roasting tires with one of these, so my hopes are up.

SIGN ME UP.

#17 ·
Get a 2jzge exhaust manifold gasket and see how it lines up. If it fits, your good to go. I run a supra 2jzge header on my gs300. Tight fit, but should clear easier on the mk2 since it has more room on the sides of the engine bay.

#18 ·
Maybe. That is a dramatically different exh manifold design compared to what any 2jzge comes with. Definitely all of the 1jzgte stuff uses a different pattern then the 2jzs.

But worst case, that actually isn't that bad of a header design. The runners are a little short and the collector is a little bunched up, but the primaries are already tubular mandrel bent and look fairly equal length. You probably won't do too bad just making a custom downpipe right off that flange. Also with a displacement limited motor like this, going too big on the piping may kill your bottom end and mid-range.

#85 ·
My custom mounts are similar in location.

#26 · (Edited)
Thanks. I can't take much credit for the mounts, he cut and drilled those with a couple hand tools, a clamp and the tail gate of his work truck. We tossed around the thought of producing them for a lot less than the ~$400 people charge for mount kits.

I would still be happily driving the 5M, but it leaked from every seal imaginable, had 187K on the odometer (which was reported broken 10yrs ago in the service record) and started having fuel delivery issues that neither I nor my mechanic could chase down without getting into more cost than it was worth.
When this is all done I expect to be about $4,000 in, including purchasing the car.

I was about to buy a new downpipe when, hey, idea, let's test fit the old one first just to see. I won't be buying a downpipe! Should have that and enough wiring to fire it up real soon, hoping for this weekend as long as he's not traveling for work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.