Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1982 P type 1JZ GE action

35K views 183 replies 18 participants last post by  mutantcolors 
#1 · (Edited)
And so it begins, after 5 months of research and parts hunting.

Oooh shiny flywheel (thanks JZ series for being manual-swap friendly)

Had to replace the water pump pulley, might as well do 3 lightweights for half the price of the single OEM.

And where it's headed, since I haven't show it off in a while.

See less See more
#162 ·
Nice, good to hear. I'm restoring a couple tanks right now, it is a royal PITA. Even though you have a clean tank, often the cadium coating is almost gone at this point. Keep your tank mint by storing the car inside as much as possible, keeping high quality gas in it when it sits over winter etc (91 octane lasts much longer then 87), or even 94 if you can get it as 94 often has no ethanol in it. And try not to let the same tank of gas sit for more then a year whenever possible. Its better to drain it then let it sit longer then that with anything in it, even with stabilizer added. One of the tanks I'm restoring I already restored. Was mint inside about 5 years ago, and I left gas with stablizer in it and stored the car in a tent outside. Almost lost the tank completely, it was so gross inside. Of course the humidity is high here.

#163 ·
Car has returned to my home for the first time since July 2017, as of about two weeks ago.
I've settled in to the idea/fact of an aftermarket ECU. Next to adding turbos I think it's the best option I have for performance, on top of the fact that we cannot find proper diagrams and simply do not have the time to be chasing wire by wire to hopefully find out nothing is faulty.

Project is on pause for now as I strike while the iron is hot, as they say, and attend to business opportunities. There should be a couple grand laying around for the ECU and wiring soon enough, but right now I have to revert to my former self and ignore cars while I do real estate.

#165 ·
If you're still trying to make this work with the factory drive by wire setup, make sure you check out this thread if you havn't already. I think we categorized all of the current aftermarket ecus that support the JZ drive by wire TBs. Also, a buddy mentioned someone is finally working on getting it going in MegaSquirt land so maybe MS3 pro will have some real support for it soon.

https://www.celicasupra.com/forums/...Options-for-a-2JZGE-VVTI&highlight=standalone

#166 ·
Thanks. Lucky for me though, I have an analog throttle, believe it or not.

My friend who made his career in aviation wiring/mechanics has worked with Megasquirt offered his help if I chose that route, but I haven't looked to see if they have anything that supports variable cams.

#168 ·
If wiring whooped my ass this bad, imagine tuning, especially with VVT-i. I'm kinda sitting back, scouring for the little odds and ends I should address before I pull the trigger on an ECU and get a tune, see what we can milk out of that cam phasing. I have seen some eye popping changes from capable tuners and VVT-i.

#169 ·
I have been scratching around for cost effective alternatives to purchasing a full aftermarket ECU and all the fun schtuff that sets me up for (tuning mainly).

Honestly considering buying a turbo engine :) with an ECU I can actually map and wire. Keep it simple, stupid. Costs less than ECU/tuning, sadly.
Except for the intercooler which I'd be shopping out, most assuredly.

#170 ·
In all this "hey maybe I'll go turbo" stuff i popped back into the speed shop after work today. Owner thought is was probably the best idea, but gave some warnings.

He thinks the e-throttle JZs have an e-pedal. I haven't heard word one of that. I have seen ONE single mention of them still using a cable pedal, from a guy in Russia. Anyone able to confirm? Because if I need an e-pedal then fuck all that.

I was able to find something more akin to a useful wiring diagram today, so that's a thing.

#171 ·
My 03 GE has an 'E-Throttle'. The E-throttle on the 03 is used for traction control, cruise control and (I think) idle control. There are E-throttle deletes, look on drift motion. With E-throttle by passed you will only get about 20% open. The delete is a spacer that makes it completly cable operated. I am not sure what year this changed to completly throttle by wire or if it ever has. If you do get one and it has the half circle cable linkage then it is cable operated since cruise is controled by the motor on the throttle body.

#172 ·
I actually learned all about that system after posting that last night. Found a very good powerpoint, seems like a tech training tool. There are some that still run a cable throttle with a sensor on the cable. That's how folks do the swap without a pedal.

I'll attach the PDF.

FYI the ETSC delete will not run with a factory ECU. Deleting the hard parts is easy, it's making the thing run that is not.

In the end, I think I'm just gonna keep pioneering my way through this swap. WHEN I get it running the doors unlocked will be worth it. A very affordable engine with VVT-i, no immobilizer, no e-throttle and probably no need for auto trans emulator. Those last three alone are worth the headache (which has been relatively small until now, to be honest.)

It just comes down to time and troubleshooting.

Attachments

#176 ·
Uhm, all JZ vvti motors have a cable as far as I know. The "e-throttle" when referencing them completely refers to the throttle body and electronic throttle plate inside of them these motors use. Mostly 98 (jdm) to 04 stuff we are talking about here. After the JZ motors ran their course, Toyota did completely switch over to actual electronic throttle pedals, but I have never seen a JZ motor with one. Even the last year is300 as far as I know still used this TB system and a pedal with a cable.

So, I don't know man, there may not be a perfect factory ecu for your motor. I'm not sure anything got a manual transmission with that motor. I know there are manual Gitas (Altezza wagons) with the 1gge. There are certainly manual 2jzge vvtis with manual, but unsure if there is anything with the 1jzge. I see those motors up here now and then, but they're always in an auto crown, chaser etc or something. If you are going to avoid standalone (which is a $1k + investment for sure, no way around that), your best bet is probably a 2jzge vvti m\t ecu. And from 98 or 99. The immobilizer tech came in around 2000 and you should probably avoid that. You can make it work if you have all the right stuff, but its a PITA. So if you run that ecu with your motor and your injectors, you might just be "good enough". The maps will be out, but hopefully the 1jz got smaller injectors then the 2jz and it will be close enough. Cruising, idling etc will be fine, the stock o2 sensor in closed loop will be able to deal with it. Finding one of these won't be easy, but it shouldn't be that bad. I think you might be limited to Supra ones to be honest, but even the 98 usdm Supra should have that ecu. I don't think the SC300s you guys got were availabe in vvti and manual though.

Just watch out for the immobilizer ones.

Immobilizer...

Non Immobilizer.

Yes, the difference is there being that last plug hole on the right (its for the immobilizer computer).

What you want is one of these...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2JZGE-ECU-...750152&hash=item3fc27e0541:g:BxIAAOSwd-xcrNGO

With a big "M\T" added to it, like this one has...

#177 ·
I'm not going down that rabbit hole of a different ECU. The one I have is the right one for the job.

In that PDF I attached that breaks down all the variants of e-throttle, several JZ and UZ cars switched to a "linkless system" as they called it, where the gas pedal has no cable and simply triggers the APPS (accelerator pedal position sensor).

edit - See, in my frustration over failing to find proper info to get this thing wired up I started spitballing other options, but I forgot all the great things I have at my fingertips.
NO immobilizer.
NO e-throttle of any kind.
NO need for automatic trans emulator to engage variable cam (we think anyway)

But hey now I have the info I could never find.

#180 ·
I'm not going down that rabbit hole of a different ECU. The one I have is the right one for the job.

In that PDF I attached that breaks down all the variants of e-throttle, several JZ and UZ cars switched to a "linkless system" as they called it, where the gas pedal has no cable and simply triggers the APPS (accelerator pedal position sensor).

edit - See, in my frustration over failing to find proper info to get this thing wired up I started spitballing other options, but I forgot all the great things I have at my fingertips.
NO immobilizer.
NO e-throttle of any kind.
NO need for automatic trans emulator to engage variable cam (we think anyway)

But hey now I have the info I could never find.
Negatory.

From your doc... Text Line Font Design Parallel

Note Yellow is Drive By Cable with throttle position sensor mounted on TB, and all JZ cars are yellow. It doesn't cover the JDM stuff, but they are the same.

REGARDLESS, I found a pic of your ECU several pages back, it is the ECU prior to this generation. No drive by wire, so I think you can probably get your Auto ecu to play happy if you do it right, and control your vvti. You seem to have the magic year where vvti kicked in, but DBW hadn't quite come out yet. I think the 98 NA Supra we got here is like that too. Good luck!

#182 ·
Well well, I am back. 2020 has been a fiasco for just about everyone, myself included.

One interesting thing, I finally learned how to profit from the automotive hobby we all share.
Step 1: Get a good deal on an SC 400.
Step 2: Get totalled by a guy blowing a solid red light. Ideally, don't get hurt in the process.

I'm taking some of my insurance settlement and committing to the Haltech ECU for the 1JZ Supra.

Attachments

#184 ·
I could have but between the impact, some damage under the hood, peeling something (I think the pan) open and bleeding out all the oil, I am a little leery of internal damage to the engine. I collected my personal stuff, the battery and the AFM (ebay sale yay) and called it a day. After enough back and forth with "the Russian guy" a 3UZ would be theee way to go for any NA UZ swap. But I am going to miss that sweet sweet 1UZ. I already do.

For now I'm back to one vehicle, the 86 4runner I bought with a dead cylinder. It had a successful 22RE transplant in my back yard and took me all over the great outdoors this summer.

I may even hunt down a 2JZ GE (probably domestic) for my old 89 pickup. So much fuckery with exhaust and steering, may as well be happy with an overpowered i6 in a truck instead of an extremely overpowered V8.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.