Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1982 P type 1JZ GE action

35K views 183 replies 18 participants last post by  mutantcolors 
#1 · (Edited)
And so it begins, after 5 months of research and parts hunting.

Oooh shiny flywheel (thanks JZ series for being manual-swap friendly)

Had to replace the water pump pulley, might as well do 3 lightweights for half the price of the single OEM.

And where it's headed, since I haven't show it off in a while.

See less See more
#29 ·
My first thought is with a long enough throttle cable, and there are cars in the pick n pull with REALLY long throttle cables, you can just do the big curve and have it pull from the passenger side. I know when I did my 1jz install, searching around the yards, there was lots to choose from. Fortunately, my 1jz throttle cable pulls rearward and not side to side. Pretty easy.

Don L.

#30 ·
I have a 93 Camry cable which is supposed to do the trick, it's pretty damn long, and I think I figured out what I have to do. If I can route the cable below instead of above the bracket, it'll pull the right direction with no modification. Posting the problem out loud helped me visualize that solution.

Never be afraid to say you have a problem, kids. It helps find a solution.

#31 ·
Check a 2jz-ge throttle body. Might be able to swap the cam the cable hooks to from the 2jz tb to your 1jz tb. Hell, might get lucky and the 2jzge tb will bolt right up. I am sure it is a larger diameter, though probably not by much. be sure to get a non traction control one though. Id post a pic from my GS300, but photobucket has gone crazy and wants too much money to allow hosting now.

#32 ·
I mentioned lucking out on the engine at some point. It's TRAC-less as well as throttle by cable and clutch fan(formerly, now electric). I thought about looking for that part, I've seen them in passing on eBay, probably the easiest.

You can see in this pic, it's got all sorts of cable guiding hardware and is just a PITA to figure out.

I can probably find a way to run it under and then through the guides, but back up plans are valuable.

#33 ·
Non trac 2jzge tb's should be common in the pick and pull yards. sc300 and gs300 had them. As did some n/a mkiv's, but doubt youll see one of those in a pick and pull.

#35 ·
IDK what you mean by 90deg turn. The tb is straight, just like the 1jz in your pic. The 2 cables coming from the passenger side are the trans kick down and cruise control cables. The throttle cable comes from the drivers side. Then again, if your TB has a hookup for the cruise control, it should have come from our drivers side, and you can probably hook up your throttle cable to that spot on the tb. I would need to see closer pics of the cable side of your tb to confirm. The accelerator cable for the 2jz has the little ball hooked into the cam itself.

#36 ·
LOL, I'll have to look closer. Maybe I invented a problem that doesn't exist. Mine definitely has the cruise control, and what I thought to be the slot for the main cable. I mean, there's only one mechanism that opens the butterfly, even if there is a bunch of shit attached to it.

#38 ·
This thread needs a bump!

We're down to hoses, belts and wiring. Well, right after swapping out the harmonic balancer, which is in the mail. I got 99.5% of the spraypaint peeled off the headlights and header, thankfully the kid didn't even prep the surface. My buddy's wife got an entire headlight to peel in one piece.

Thanks to this forum, one WTB thread landed me more 7M radiator clips than I had use for, so the big old dual core aluminum dude now resides with the 1J under that hood.

Looking much better. Getting closer.

#41 ·
Exhaust is fully installed. Figured out all the oddball hose and fittings for the radiator, got a variety of neck sizes and nasty bends to deal with. Intake piping on the way. Started to fit the wiring harness, everything is beginning to make sense and suddenly the wiring doesn't look scary at all. Lots of sensor this/power that questions figured out today. We can see the light at the end...

#43 ·
I think with an even 200 NA ponies on tap, I'll be plenty happy. I really liked hitting 4K RPM with the beat down, leaky old 5M, so this should be quite fun.

Bought the radiator hose purely for fit and function, but it think it will look sweet when installed. We almost did some Mickey Mouse plumbing pipe puzzle stuff and then thankfully found this kit.

When it's all sorted I still intend to draw out a roadmap of what all it took to get the job done. This engine was such a mystery and yet so affordable, it's certainly worth documenting. Loads of "JDM" parts with intentional quotes there, because so far it's been 100% off the shelf stuff, and the worst should be well behind us.

#60 ·
stock 2jzge hoses from a 1st gen gs300, mk4, sc300 etc... should have been able to connect your 1j to the stock mk2 radiator without issue. Why did you need to go with custom hoses like this if as you say, it wasnt for looks?

#45 ·
That 1J GE looks neat. Loving the header design. Probably one of the most unique swaps out there!

#47 ·
I think it's a one-off CNC job, but yes it was to give modern power the vintage look in a vintage ride. And that was the second 4AGE turned JZ individual throttle body setup I saw while tooling around the net yesterday morning, the other was a 2J in a Z car that was pure glory.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/05/s30-2jz-airbags-new-way-z/

I'm getting antsy on this thing. I'm ready to drive her again in her updated but true-to-form fashion. I'm optimistic that the things I've selected are going to be just what I was after, a similar spirit to the factory design, with a little enhancement through 20yrs of technology.

#49 · (Edited)
Yeah I'm wary of that, just sort of thinking out loud. For now the whole goal is to just get it running, that leaves me plenty to sort out still. One thing at a time.

Been looking more intio one like this with a master butterfly and a larger plenum anyway. There are several on the market and have all the sensors and bungs built in.

It'd be nice to move the business end of the intake away from the exhaust side, I don't have a whole lot of room to get anywhere down or in front. I have a ton of room in front of the rad now with all the A/C ripped out, but no clear path to access that space.

#51 ·
I always thought the 1JZGE would be a cool swap to do on a MKII, good on you for trying it out. Good luck with the rest, cant wait to see how it turns out. That thing will rev high and I will be mad jealous, haha. I like the way you guys did the engine mount, might copy that one day so I don't get even more boned by the CAN-US conversion rate

#52 ·
Thanks, we thought about doing it the "normal" way with a few chunks of plate and then realized square tubing had all the necessary elements present right away. I think I mentioned, but we did/are considering offering those for way less than the crazy price, but that defeats your CAN to USD thing. Need to improve the frame side of the mount, mine will be effective but they are not pretty. We positioned the engine ideally with the block mounts in place and field welded the remainder out of spare plate, hence the photo of my friend buried neck deep in the engine bay with the lovely glow of arc all around.

#54 ·
Some dude that lived across the street from my parents, about this time last year, had one of these in the driveway. I kick myself for having never taken a photo or saying hi, I wanted to pull up one day in the 82 and do the "oh hey do you like old school Toyotas!?" thing.

Lot's of 1970 Chevelle going on, which is just fine by me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.