Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Q45/MPV Brake Upgrade Sanity Check

9K views 36 replies 9 participants last post by  Mimmell 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Im in the process of performing this upgrade. There's a ton of info on this topic and definitely very helpful. From what I researched here is everything needed for the front upgrade + stock rear refresh. I am going to order all the parts today and just want to make sure I am getting the right parts and also ensure I'm not forgetting anything.

Current set up is stock 83 brakes and stock 14" p-type wheels running 225/60/14 tires (will eventually upgrade wheels and tires).

Thanks!

FRSport.comRockAuto - Front Upgrade:

• 1996 Q45 Caliper FR - CENTRIC 14142079 Includes: Caliper, Hardware, and Bracket. Front Right. Info
  • 1996 Q45 Caliper FL - CENTRIC 14142080 Includes: Caliper, Hardware, and Bracket. Front Left.Info
  • 1996 MPV Rotors X 2 - DURA-GO BR31241 {#125542}. Front; Vented. Info. All the guides say use the 4x4 version but RockAuto doesn't seem to specify so are the mpv rotors all the same???
  • 1996 Q45 MONROE Brake Pads CX587 Info
  • Longer Wheel Studs X 8 DORMAN 610414 M12-1.50 Serrated Wheel Stud; 14.38mm Knurl; 45mm Length. Info
  • LISLE 22800 Wheel Stud Installer Info
RockAuto - Rear Stock Refresh:
  • CENTRIC 12644018SL StopTech Sport Slotted Brake Disc Info
  • CENTRIC 12644018SR StopTech Sport Slotted Brake Disc Info
  • CENTRIC 10202400 C-TEK Metallic Rear Info
  • CENTRIC 11744005 Disc Brake Hardware Info
Machine Shop
  • Redrill rotors to 4x114.3
  • Grind/machine down stock hubs to fit MPV Rotors

See less See more
#33 ·
Here's an update. The front upgrade is done! I received the hubs and rotors back from the machine shop, done right this time, and everything fits like a glove. I did have to put a thick washer in between the caliper mounting bracket and strut. The rotor was binding up on the bracket so needed a bit more space. I"ll snap a few pics and show you all what i am talking about.

I went to put on the front wheels and found out the studs that came with the spacers are not long enough. With the larger thickness rotor and 10mm spacer there just is not enough threads. I can only get about 5 or 6 threads on the lug nuts. So I took the spacer off and the wheels and tires seem to fit fine without them. The tires do appear to rub on the wheel well when turning lock to lock. So, wondering if I can adjust the strut bar to center the wheel in the wheel well. Here's a couple pics of the front wheels installed. The fitment looks pretty good.

Preston came over this past weekend and looked at everything. He noticed the ball joints were sloppy. There was quite a bit of play in the entire strut housing. As part of this brake upgrade, I decided to replace the ball joints, tie rod ends, and say bar links. I searched on rockauto and found that you can buy the entire lower control arm with the new ball joints already pressed. Well, turns out it did not fit right and the ball joint was too small. I first noticed the holes for the stabilizer bar didn't quite line up so i figured it was just a minor error from the factory. I drilled them out and they fit. I didn't really compare the ball joints at this point and didn't question whether they would fit. I put them on the car, put hte castle nut on and cotter pin. Put everything together and that's when preston noticed the free play. Then we did a stare and compare and sure enough the new ball joints were way smaller than the old ones. So, I ordered new ball joints from autozone, took the old ones with me and made sure the new ones were the correct size. Luckily I saved the old control arms so cleaned them up, painted and pressed them in. Now it works great. I'll take some pics here in a while and post them up.

#36 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.