Q45/MPV Brake Upgrade Sanity Check

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member

Q45/MPV Brake Upgrade Sanity Check

Hey all,

Im in the process of performing this upgrade. There's a ton of info on this topic and definitely very helpful. From what I researched here is everything needed for the front upgrade + stock rear refresh. I am going to order all the parts today and just want to make sure I am getting the right parts and also ensure I'm not forgetting anything.

Current set up is stock 83 brakes and stock 14" p-type wheels running 225/60/14 tires (will eventually upgrade wheels and tires).

Thanks!

FRSport.com
    RockAuto - Front Upgrade:
    • 1996 Q45 Caliper FR - CENTRIC 14142079 Includes: Caliper, Hardware, and Bracket. Front Right. Info
    • 1996 Q45 Caliper FL - CENTRIC 14142080 Includes: Caliper, Hardware, and Bracket. Front Left.Info
    • 1996 MPV Rotors X 2 - DURA-GO BR31241 {#125542}. Front; Vented. Info. All the guides say use the 4x4 version but RockAuto doesn't seem to specify so are the mpv rotors all the same???
    • 1996 Q45 MONROE Brake Pads CX587 Info
    • Longer Wheel Studs X 8 DORMAN 610414 M12-1.50 Serrated Wheel Stud; 14.38mm Knurl; 45mm Length. Info
    • LISLE 22800 Wheel Stud Installer Info
    RockAuto - Rear Stock Refresh:
    • CENTRIC 12644018SL StopTech Sport Slotted Brake Disc Info
    • CENTRIC 12644018SR StopTech Sport Slotted Brake Disc Info
    • CENTRIC 10202400 C-TEK Metallic Rear Info
    • CENTRIC 11744005 Disc Brake Hardware Info
    Machine Shop
    • Redrill rotors to 4x114.3
    • Grind/machine down stock hubs to fit MPV Rotors

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

You cannot in any way fit the Q45 calipers under stock wheels.

Also, slotted rotors are for ninnies...

--billyM
    White 85P - Blue/Silver 85P
    -------------------------------
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyM View Post
    You cannot in any way fit the Q45 calipers under stock wheels.
    I read conflicting info on stock rims fitting under the Q45's. But I think it depends on whether they are ptype vs l-type and mainly if they are at least 15" or bigger. I'm planning to upgrade the wheels anyway so no biggie. Guess I'll have to convince the wife to buy the rims here soon too.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyM View Post
    Also, slotted rotors are for ninnies...
    So skip the slotted rotors and just get regular ones for the rear? The stoptechs are quite a bit more but i always thought they were good. i know raptorracing sells their stuff.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Slotted and/or drilled = performance placebo

You don't need the stud installer either. Just go to the hardware store and get a stack of 1/2" washers and an M12x1.5 nut. You can also use an upside down cheap steel wheel lug nut if you have one from another car. IMO if you're taking the hub off its much easier to just use a press to remove and install them.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMk2 View Post
    You don't need the stud installer either. Just go to the hardware store and get a stack of 1/2" washers and an M12x1.5 nut. You can also use an upside down cheap steel wheel lug nut if you have one from another car. IMO if you're taking the hub off its much easier to just use a press to remove and install them.
    Thanks for the tip. That will save me like $20 and a headache I'm sure. My neighbor has a harbor freight drill press so I'll just take the hub off. I'm also going to replace the wheel bearings all the away around while everything is apart.

Drill press isn't going to help you with anything. You want a hydraulic or arbor press. It's not required though a nut, some washers, and an impact will work.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Yeah he has a hydraulic press too. That's what I meant

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

CelicaSupra.com Member Road Ripper's Avatar
    There IS a difference between 4x4 and regular MPV rotors - you must use the 4x4 front rotors as they are bigger and have a higher "hat" to position the disc over the hub correctly. Maybe look for 1994 rotors instead, as 96 is at the edge of what fits and may be mistaken for rwd rotors.

The calipers WILL fit under MOST of the factory p-type wheel, but the angled part of the inside of the rim hits the caliper. You would have to run spacers up front, and/or grind some of the caliper away for clearance. I have 14" Ansen Sprint slot mags that will fit over this brake combo, yet my 15" Prime hammer wheels hit the caliper. It all depends on the shape of the rim.
    Hidden Content
    Dan (DragonLady's husband) *RIP Tyler (2yo son lost to cancer)
    1986 P-type (Ruffian) black 6M 5 speed (formerly Lexusboy's), sitting.
    1986 P type MKII 2tone night blue met/silver met. 5MGE auto, waiting for summer.
    2005 Dodge Magnum Magnesium Pearl - new family car!
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country - Charcoal, family/stuff hauler

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Dan is correct. You definitely need the 4WD front rotors. I do seem to remember that all the 4WD MPV's were 3.0L V6's and that the proper years are either 90-94 or 91-94, not 96. I think the Q45 calipers are from 90-96 though and that might be where the confusion comes from.
    Incidentally, I'm running this setup as part of a 5 lug conversion and it works great. I'm using an AL MK III master cylinder with the stock booster and this works great as well. The rears are OEM.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I got all the parts for the upgrade and ensured I ordered the 4wd mpv rotors. Tonight, i took off the hubs and rotors. I honestly don't think they have been taken apart since the car rolled off the factory line. The grease was clean and oozing out. Car only has 78k miles on the chassis so possible i guess everything is original.

I need to take the hubs and the mpv rotors to a machine shop this week and get the machine work done. I think I'll have them press out the bearings and press new ones in as well as the oil seals.

Thread Information