Q45/MPV Brake Upgrade Sanity Check - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    In the grand scheme of a car build that's actually pretty cheap as far as mistakes go.
    Hidden Content 86 parts car maybe some day race car? 3x cars, 36x brake caliper pistons.
    "You need to update your signature Gamble" - Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Yep, that's how we learn.

Sorry, but I lost my picture hosting from the original threads and never reposted them. Go find a set of 1990 to 1992 Infiniti M30 front wheel hubs and be happy.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Here's an update. The front upgrade is done! I received the hubs and rotors back from the machine shop, done right this time, and everything fits like a glove. I did have to put a thick washer in between the caliper mounting bracket and strut. The rotor was binding up on the bracket so needed a bit more space. I"ll snap a few pics and show you all what i am talking about.

I went to put on the front wheels and found out the studs that came with the spacers are not long enough. With the larger thickness rotor and 10mm spacer there just is not enough threads. I can only get about 5 or 6 threads on the lug nuts. So I took the spacer off and the wheels and tires seem to fit fine without them. The tires do appear to rub on the wheel well when turning lock to lock. So, wondering if I can adjust the strut bar to center the wheel in the wheel well. Here's a couple pics of the front wheels installed. The fitment looks pretty good.

Preston came over this past weekend and looked at everything. He noticed the ball joints were sloppy. There was quite a bit of play in the entire strut housing. As part of this brake upgrade, I decided to replace the ball joints, tie rod ends, and say bar links. I searched on rockauto and found that you can buy the entire lower control arm with the new ball joints already pressed. Well, turns out it did not fit right and the ball joint was too small. I first noticed the holes for the stabilizer bar didn't quite line up so i figured it was just a minor error from the factory. I drilled them out and they fit. I didn't really compare the ball joints at this point and didn't question whether they would fit. I put them on the car, put hte castle nut on and cotter pin. Put everything together and that's when preston noticed the free play. Then we did a stare and compare and sure enough the new ball joints were way smaller than the old ones. So, I ordered new ball joints from autozone, took the old ones with me and made sure the new ones were the correct size. Luckily I saved the old control arms so cleaned them up, painted and pressed them in. Now it works great. I'll take some pics here in a while and post them up.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Great progress. As for hitting the inner wheel-well when turning to full lock, that's just what happens when you go to wider tires. Don't worry about it or stop turning it so hard, haha!

--billyM
    White 85P - Blue/Silver 85P
    -------------------------------
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks for posting this thread. What wheels are you using? They look great.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimmell View Post
    Thanks for posting this thread. What wheels are you using? They look great.
    Thanks man! They are XXR 527s in chromium black. 17x9.75 in the rear and 17x8.25 in front. They fit great with no rubbing. I have a few detailed posts about them in the wheels that fit a mk2 thread. Heres a link to the rear wheels. https://www.nlmotoring.com/XXR-527-W.../52779542n.htm

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

What tires are you running on those rims?

Thread Information