Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Hatch Decal - Anyone making, selling, or have the vector file?

16K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  naviy10355 
#1 ·
What's the current status of replacement hatch decals? While I wasn't going to paint my hooptie, things are leaning that direction at the moment.

#2 · (Edited)
I'm interested, too, for my '85. I bought a decal (full decal, not just the letter outlines) several years back form a guy on eBay but it had the wrong dimensions - the print was too small - squashed - vertically, so I never applied it.

When I get around to it, I can still see the outline of my old one where I scraped it off after a hatch repair, and I need to measure the letters - because I'm fixing to paint my car - already bought the paint. I'm wondering - does anyone know - should the decal be applied when the paint is fresh, or should it be allowed to harden for a month or two? And I'm using the original stock-type single-stage acrylic enamel (no clear coat).

P.S. I've had to buy my DuPont Nason Ful-Cryl "Super Deep Red" 3F2 color code paint here in Louisiana and will be driving it crosscountry because it's been banned in L.A. County, where my guy's painting the car... go figure!

#3 ·
#8 ·
There is this on eBay. He also does this reflective version for a few dooars more. Also, there is this Canadian vendor, too.

The Canadian one LOOKS good in the auction pictures. He/she seems to have measured it. Also, his auction says that it has a 6-year "exterior durability." This makes me wonder .... my original one looked great for about 20 years, before the clear parts started looking chalky. If these new ones maybe last a lot less time, maybe we should be looking for the ones that have only the letter outlines (without the clear "filling" inside the letters)? I am concerned about putting a new sticker over a brand-new paint-job and having it go bad quickly. And to answer my own question above, maybe I should wait quite awahile before applying the sticker to new paint? I'm thinking that the fresher the paint, the more the sticker will bond to it, and may be hard to remove later?

Too bad for me that George at Raptor Racing is out of stock - I communicated with George a couple months ago about comparing our measurements, but didn't get around to it, and he had some stickers left at that time.

I really do need to measure my own remnants. Does anyone know whether the billboard sticker ever changed sizes - maybe Toyota made some different batches?

I need a black one, by the way. I'm definitely interested - but again I do wonder whether we would be better served by trying to find the ones that are outline only?

#7 ·
I think I have three new ones rolled up in a box, I think white and black versions... I'll trade one for your 5mge alternator if you find yourself in Edmonton or know someone who is making the trip back to Calgary.

#32 ·
Wow, sorry, I forgot I started this thread. Life got a bit complicated over the past few weeks - bought a pair of first-gen Hilux trucks, bought a lift to aid in storage/work on said trucks, got laid off, and did Run of the Ogopogo.

I think I may have very recently scrapped that alternator anyways. Should update my FS thread. Donated most of my remaining misc. stuff to Will R. in Calgary since he's help me out a number of times now.

I will (eventually) post it for everyone and just make it open source so to speak.
That would be most helpful, thanks!

Lots of good discussion and info here. Something to consider too, if one was painting their car, the outline-only versions could be buried in the clear coat possibly.

#10 ·
Now for that elaboration.

Those ebay sellers may be members here, so let it be known if so I'm not trying to piss in your cheerios. As someone who has spent a lot of time staring at these 5 letters I'm compelled to point out what I see.

On the US listing, the tell is the middle bar on the S. In the product picture it looks just about perfectly flat. On the factory banner there is a slight downward angle to it from left to right, which you will see on all of the cars pictured.

I did the same thing on my initial trace when making a font out of the letters. Didn't realize it until later when I got more serious about making a faithful repro and put a lidless scanner up against my hatch and scanned 1 letter at a time.

Here's a comparison:

The Canadian listing is harder to tell because it doesn't have an eagle eye view of the whole sticker, but in the close ups some of the angles don't seem to come together quite right. It might just be the angles it's pictured though. Take a look at the inner curve of the P compared to a factory style banner.

If you look at the product pictures of the stickers themselves and compare them to all of the pictures on an actual car, I don't think any of the cars pictured have the actual product being sold except the reflective one, and in that picture you can see the issue mentioned above.

I have spent so much time with these letters doing this and making this that I think they are burned into my brain. :rolleyes:

#11 ·
I just purchased a TOR Parts hatch sticker about a month ago and while I haven't applied it yet, a quick comparison shows that it's a very close match.

The inside semi circles of the S are a little rounder than the OEM Toyota part. The TOR part looks to be half of a circle while the OEM one is a more oval shape. The shape of the clear cut out is not identical. On the right side of the S where the top leg ends and turns back to the left there is a gentle indent on the TOR while it indents a little more sharply on the OEM.

Having said that, it's pretty darn close. Unless you compared them side by side I don't think that you would notice. The overall dimensions seem to be identical. I'm extremely happy with the quality of the part.

The TOR Parts owner really seems to know what he's talking about too. He has these decals in silver, white, and black. I have a white 84 and I read on this forum that the actual colour for the hatches on white was gray. I asked for a custom colour and he said sure, but that the correct colour for white is actually silver. I went outside and checked, and he was correct. The decal I thought was gray was actually silver.

In terms of lifetime, who knows? The quality of inks and how UV resistant they are is an open question and one won't be able to tell for a few years.

I don't think you will find a more accurate looking decal anywhere for now.

#16 ·
I just purchased a TOR Parts hatch sticker about a month ago and while I haven't applied it yet, a quick comparison shows that it's a very close match.
I would love to see a picture of that if possible. Even though I cut a solid repro vinyl myself I would ultimately like to go with a clear backed. It's good to hear a positive review of the TOR banner.

#13 ·
#41 ·
Okay, I've got to be the one to ask a dumb question, so here goes:

Isn't a white decal the stock colour on factory black cars?

This Toyota Supra Started As A Father Son Project But Quickly Evolved

Apparently this is a Toyota OEM decal according to the restoration article.

While the carbon fibre may show a little differently, it should be pretty similar!

Dale
Dale, Your car is HAWT! Hey, have you put it in the new Registry yet?

#19 ·
TFphoenix, I just reviewed your prior threads, and wow, great work! Looks like you really applied yourself to getting it right!! :salute:

I saw gamble's offer to measure his letters off his hatch. If you need any back-up measurements, please let me know, as I can still see the outline of my originals.

Dang, I wish I had known about the pinstriping removal wheel you used in the other thread .... . I ended up using a razor blade and made quite a few gouges :( At least I'm repainting it, but that wheel would have saved a LOT of elbow grease!

#33 ·
#34 ·
A few months ago I ordered a new hatch decal from House of Grafx. This weekend I decided to install it. Well, started measuring and I find that it is not correct, or even close. It is about an inch too tall, and the "S" is not correct at all. So today I ordered from Tor.parts, as they have gotten good reviews in this thread. So, buyer beware, House of Grafx is junk, if you are looking for factory original.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.