Rear AGX Upper Bushing Mounting

CelicaSupra.com Member

Rear AGX Upper Bushing Mounting

Hey all,

As part of my suspension upgrade, I'm doing the AGX mod all the way around. Wes Hedrick is the fine lad who invented this mod. I have the Ford Focus KYB 741067 AGX's to upgrade the rear shocks. THe install is pretty straight forward. I first had to remove the metal spacer in the lower bushing as it does not fit over stock mount. I used a drill press to loosen it and eventually twisted it out. What is left is enough rubber it seems to serve as the bushing.

Now, the upper mount is where i have a few questions. Here is the upper mount of the left shock installed. I used a rubber bushing thing that looks like an umbrella on the under side (part number 90948-01019).

Here's another pic without the rubber bushing and nut installed. You can see the strut shaft does not fully come come through.

Now on the right side, I didn't use the umbrella bushing and you can see the strut shaft sticks out way further. I would need a couple thick bushings and a washer that fits over the bottom lip in order to tighent everything down to get this option to work.

of course i have a jack underneath the IRS control arm and pushed the shock as far it'll go on both sides.

Here's a pic of the shock. Does the yellow boot thing serve as the bushing?

Here is the rubber umbrella bushing installed over the shock. Is this right? It seems to fit well and position the shaft on the upper side in the right spot in order to slip on the rubber bushing, washer and nut.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member THoover43's Avatar
    The yellow rubber piece is your bump stop basically. its the last thing to hit between the body and shock on full compression. Im not too sure on the other rubber bushings youre asking about as Ive never done or seen how this mod is done since tscperformance is no longer around for me to read the threads.

I have a question though as to what the difference is between the Wes Hedrick mod and buying the front and rear KYB AGX shocks from technotoytuning that seem to be direct bolt in?
    Infiniti Master Technician
    Chattanooga, TN

I cut the stock bushings in half on both sides

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by THoover43 View Post
    The yellow rubber piece is your bump stop basically. its the last thing to hit between the body and shock on full compression. Im not too sure on the other rubber bushings youre asking about as Ive never done or seen how this mod is done since tscperformance is no longer around for me to read the threads.

I have a question though as to what the difference is between the Wes Hedrick mod and buying the front and rear KYB AGX shocks from technotoytuning that seem to be direct bolt in?
    I just looked up the AGXs on their website https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/m...e-shocks-supra and looks the rears come with the same rubber bushings, washers and nuts that I have. They look like the same ones. But way more expensive than rockauto where I bought mine.

Maybe the way I have it installed on my first picture is correct. Use the umbrella stock bushing on the underside of the body, then use the solid bushing and washer with nut on the top. Seems to work okay.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMk2 View Post
    I cut the stock bushings in half on both sides
    Preston, PB, came by last weekend and suggested to do the same thing. But we couldn't really find a good way to do it. I don't have access to a band saw. We tried using a hacksaw but couldn't keep it straight and nearly messed up one of them. I think it would be easier to cut a polyurethane bushing in half. The rubber just wants to grip too much.

Pretty sure I just used a razor blade on them. You need something flexible so the shock can move.

Piggybacking this old thread as it had good questions and great photos. I have been reassembling my car after all these years and have really struggled to get the SuperPro bushings to work. As you can see, there is basically no thread left exposed with top & bottom bushings installed. Even the black rubber ones that came with the dampers are almost the same size. I believe you're supposed to be able to double-nut the threaded portion.

Talked to Funkycheeze and he said his old shocks don't have the foam part. In the end, I have the foam right up against the chassis and just a single bushing on top. I'm certain that's the intended design. What I don't like is that the foam/dust cover part is just press-fit over a boss, and that boss can come up through the chassis hole with a severe enough impact. If you look at the quoted image, the black step poking through is this boss but it goes a bit wider to hold the foam. In this photo, the foam bushing is pushed down below where it's supposed to sit. I've decided to leave mine as-is for now but if you were driving super super hard I'd give it more thought. Essentially if the foam fails the shock could just decompress fully with the rod up in the cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey482 View Post
    Hey all,
    Last edited by nnywg; 05-13-2019 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Figured it out
    WTB: Nose Emblem

Thread Information