Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1UZ-FE Megasquirt Questions

10K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ShadeThoonigans 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I will be starting a 1UZ-FE swap soon. I want to know as much as I can before I start to avoid wasting time. I am brand new to megasquirt, standalone ECU's, and ECU's and tuning for that matter. The donor car is a 1995 SC400. I realize that I will need to go standalone (or at least its the simplest way) and I have decided megasquirt. Anyways the questions...

1. I want a running motor in my car. Nothing fancy. I don't need anymore power than the factory provides for now.This is all new to me. With that in mind MS1, MS2, or MS3?

2. I watched an installation video where the guy just plugged in his stock Miata harness into the new ECU (after installing a wideband O2 sensor, running a vacuum line through his firewall, etc.) and was able to run his car the same day (with a pre-made base tune). Is it the same with a 1UZ harness or will I have to do some tampering to have my harness plug in?

3. Is there a base tune someone has made that I am able to download or will I need to do it myself or get a shop to?

#2 ·
1. I am currently working on converting my 1UZ swap from the stock ecu to a megasquirt. I am using a Megasquirt 2 with the 3.57. I am going to start by using the stock ignition and eventually convert to Ford EDIS8. For using the stock ignition adding a zeal daughterboard to handle the CAM sensors is needed. With an MS2 you will have to make the injectors fire in batch rather than sequential and you wont be able to use the knock sensors.

2. There might be a company or two that can make a harness for the car but you would be looking at probably $800-$1200 for them to make it specifically for you as a plug n play. Also what you might have seen is the megasquirt plug n play setup which is available for a few cars. Unfortuneatly since there are so many different ECU plug options for 1UZ's it is almost impossible for Megasquirt to make a plug n play setup. I can tell you I am going through the wiring setup right now for my conversition and so far it isn't too difficult. I have purchased all new electrical connectors so I can make this conversion as clean as possible. If you would like I can send you all the part numbers I have for the connectors.

3. do some google searching for 1UZ and megasquirt. There might be an .msq file (megasquirt file) available for base tune. However, your best tune is going to be putting it on a dyno and having someone tune it for your setup.

#4 ·
The simplest way is with the stock ecu, it only requires maybe 6 wires hooked up. Look at my thread on wiring up a 2jzgte. pinouts are different, but the pins like B, B+, M-rel, etc.. all need connected up the same way to the car, so just use those designations, look at a 1uz pinout to find the correct pins etc.. and wiring should be easy. Id guess 15min just to get it running, longer to get all the guages etc... to work and run the wires nice and clean etc...

and yes, you can run the stock ecu with a manual trans. You must jump some of the neutral start switch wires, and iirc there is another wire that must be connected to either power or ground to keep it from staying in limp mode. I dont recall off the top of my head, but it has been covered before, as iirc it is required to do the same thing for auto 2jz ecu's.

#6 ·
I've also learned by searching around for my 1UZ swap that it's possible to run the 1UZ on GM LS1 engine management and gain something like 20hp over stock. I've used Lextreme.com and supraswap.com for information references.

Have you researched all of the other things you'll need for the swap, such as motor mounts, the correct front sump oil pan/sump girdle, making the exhaust fit around the steering shaft, a bigger radiator, etc? I got my engine from an LS400 because it's a lot easier to make it fit into the car. Good luck with your swap, and I'll be watching this thread for future reference since I also know nothing about megasquirt, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.