Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

MKII Supra Built LSD Differential.

30K views 81 replies 28 participants last post by  piratetip 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey All!

I don't spend a lot of time here but wanted to share a nice MKII rebuild I performed.
Typically I spend most of my time rebuilding MKIII differentials and shipping them all over the country as well as overseas.
I mostly spend my time on SupraMania under the same username.

This is the 1st individual that has requested a MKII differential from me. (Not for sale)
I just wanted to share the condition of this MKII diff, as its one of the lowest mileage / cleanest I have ever come across.
Even as received it was super clean, thought it was worth showing.

I can't say I have seen many diff's with ~30k miles. This has to be some sort of anomaly!
Even the rear aluminum cover is in its original die cast finish. (no sandblasting needed)

I swapped gear ratios for this one to 4.10. (Had 4.30)
Upgraded the LSD with the Weir kit.
Also switched to the solid pinion spacer.

Esentially the same upgrades I usually do for the MKIII's.

Also took some comparison measurements side by side with the MKIII, just for curiosity sake.
Side shafts/LSD Plates/LSD Construction ect..
Its interesting to see some of the same design attributes that were carried over to the MKIII from the MKII.
Also pretty clear the improvements implemented and weaknesses that were corrected with the newer MKIII.
The MKIV is a whole different level beyond this, but will get to that at some point.

Photos for your enjoyment :D

Check out the factory machining marks still on that side gear!

Comparison of the LSD plate stack to the MKIII.

See less See more
#30 ·
hey Guys, just wanted to let you know that the diff that is in this thread is mine! I had contacted piratetip after seeing some info on his diff rebuilds on the mk3. He is a great guy to deal with and has tons of knowledge. He has been in constant contact with me throughout the rebuild process. Im still waiting for my diff to arrive. should be here in a few days. it was held up due to bad weather. I cant wait to get it back. I had also tried contacting Weir performance in the past to buy the solid spacer and maxgrip kit but I NEVER heard back from Spence. I also called and left a few messages without any call back. I had to go through a forum member on here that was local to weir performance to go in person and pick the parts up for me. not sure what thats all about but im glad I was able to get those parts and also find piratetip to do the rebuild. Big thank you to piratetip!

#31 ·
:thumbsup:

There he is!

Yeah I noticed that on the tracking yesterday that the storm delayed the package.
At least you did not loose your power!

The package appears to at least be in your City now, so hopefully 1 or 2 more business days to your door!

Yeah Spence must stay very busy, it is hit or miss with him it seems.
I have had no issues buying from him sometimes, other times he never gets back.

Make sure to post up impressions on the diff performance / overall feel when you get it installed and running.

#34 ·
ANY updates on the LSD rebuild or current builds??

#40 ·
Sure. All the parts are still available.
I am rebuilding a MKII diff right now.

TSRM EPC lists all the bearing and seal part numbers.
A replacement 3.91 R&P makes no sense for a celica-supra.
Do you have just a Celica?

#44 ·
My 4.10 LSD is a quiet screamer,but I can tolerate it.
This one is my third one..My '84 L type came with an open differential and I hated it!
Color me stupid: I tossed it into the steel bin at work!:mad:Dumb-ass.

#48 ·
How would a guy ship such a heavy weird-shaped object like that?A box built from 2 X 4's? Reinforced OSB?Bolted down,but how? Stand it up on the differential cover,so a hand truck can be used?
Ray85p has my old 4.10 LSD CORE,a nasty screamer.

#55 ·
How would a guy ship such a heavy weird-shaped object like that?A box built from 2 X 4's? Reinforced OSB?Bolted down,but how? Stand it up on the differential cover,so a hand truck can be used?
Ray85p has my old 4.10 LSD CORE,a nasty screamer.
Obviously don't ship it to his address, but here's a good way to ship thirds.

#54 ·
A very thorough explanation of a GM diff. Posi,new gears and bearings. It looks similar to our design.
New gears make it easier to set it up? Yes,because you can make your own gear pattern and not rely on the old tooth pattern,I'll guess. He is using a quality digital caliper,here.

#56 ·
I'l save some Styrofoam blocks for heavy items shipping. When I have just to much of that crap,I get rid of it with a tub of acetone. Melts into a GOO for disposal. Takes up too much room in my garbage and it chokes my trash compactor.
I save bubble wrap and insulate my basement windows.A towel and a garbage bag will keep the foam balls out of a shipped diff.Even an old pillow case.The box in a box is a good way to make a sturdy shipping package! Crumpled newspaper works fine as well. I shipped a vibration damper and I lined the bottom of the box with plywood.It went out in a Priority Mail ANY WEIGHT box.When I order gel batteries for my solar set up,they come in a double box + Styrofoam.

#58 ·
Great! (y)
I'll be elbow-deep into my Supra today. Bottom hose will be fun. Yeah right, Dave. :rolleyes:
I need to wait 3 days B-4 I put Evans Cool back into it.That's alright,I have food and beer until then.