MKII Supra Built LSD Differential. - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member mutantcolors's Avatar
    I'm sure you'll be a popular member here in no time with this thread.

I have a 3.73 with a blown LSD that deserves attention.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Sure thing.
    LMK

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Looks good! I'll be building an exact duplicate of that for myself soon for my mk2. I have all the bits, just need to find the time to put it together lol

Hey, speaking of the diff evolution, what did Toyota do for setting the pinion backlash on the mk3? I noticed Weir doesn't sell a solid pinion spacer kit for it, I assume Toyota basically did something along those lines from the factory? The crush sleeve was a dumb idea.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Good deal SupraFiend.
    Yeah recommend upgrading everything.
    The LSD especially is weak in the MKII from what I have observed. Lots of gains there to be had.

MKIII has multiple (30) different thickness side carrier plates to set backlash as well as carrier preload (at the same time).
    Similar to the MKII but the plates are a different design as well as different ID and OD.
    You have to make the measurements and calculate the 2 plates that will set preload and backlash correctly. (R&P backlash and carrier bearing preload)
    The plates are $5 a pop from Toyota so you want to ensure you calculate exactly which to order, otherwise it starts to get expensive quick.

The MKIII has a crush sleeve from the factory as well.
    Weir does have a solid pinion spacer for the MKIII, it is down the page a bit.
    The solid pinion spacer of course sets the pinion bearing preload.
    The shim behind the pinion head sets the depth of the pattern on the face of the ring teeth.

Toyota used solid pinion spacers on older differentials from the factory, but they moved away from them in the early 80s I believe.
    Probably due to easier setup from the factory. Quicker manufacturing.
    Last edited by piratetip; 03-05-2018 at 08:02 PM.

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Ah interesting, thanks for the info. It must be the different lsd design I was thinking of.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Yes the LSD design is much much different.

The last photo shows the size and quantity of the LSD clutch pack between the MKII and MKIII.
    I have other photos I could post up comparing the MKII LSD design to the MKIII.

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    What we need is Weir or someone to make solid spacers to replace the now NLA crush sleeves for the rear control arm bearings.
    william
    Black 84 7mgte/R154, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Blue 85 Beater. TRD Header, HKS Exhaust, custom 3in intake pipe, cone filter
    Black 86 Triple Weber 6m Eventually
    Rusty 85 Frankenstein 6M/w58 with DIYPNP

Do you have a link to this component? (photos, location, ect)
    I am not familiar with the crush sleeves for the control arm bearings.

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    william
    Black 84 7mgte/R154, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Blue 85 Beater. TRD Header, HKS Exhaust, custom 3in intake pipe, cone filter
    Black 86 Triple Weber 6m Eventually
    Rusty 85 Frankenstein 6M/w58 with DIYPNP

Oh interesting.

The rear wheel bearings set the preload with a crush sleeve.

From that thread it looks like they figured out a 7.5" solid pinion spacer might work.

Though I see no mention of the min OD that will still fit over the hub.
    Hard to say if a 30mm solid spacer will fit without modification over the hub.

Even if you used a solid spacer when doing new rear wheel bearings I don't expect many shops willing to put in the time to install correctly.
    They would need to dissassemble and re-assemble at least a couple times to get the correct shim stack and measure preload.
    Setting up a solid spacer correctly is quite time consuming, but once you get it...man is it good.

Thread Information