Time to bring my old High School car back to it's former glory!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Time to bring my old High School car back to it's former glory!

I have owned my 1985 Deep Red Supra with the gray/black leather interior since my 18th birthday in 1987. I was very well taken care of until the 2007 crash of the mortgage industry. I lost the house and a bunch of other stuff, but kept the Supra (bank didn't want a 20 yr old car). Unfortunately, the downsizing made it necessary for the Supra to sit outside since 2008. 10 years has taken a toll on the paint, and interior. I was able to buy many parts before they were discontinued for a future restoration. I have the black body molding pieces in the original packaging, the rear decal, and the piece at the front of the headlight opening. All of which will need to be replaced. The dash has been weeping some kind of oily substance, and i can't seen to find a replacement for that. Tires are a pain to find, and no longer H rated. It will be a long process, but a paint job and front seat repairs will go a long way. My daughter turns 16 in a few months, and since my first car was a 1983 Supra, I would love to get this in a condition that she wouldn't be embarrassed to drive it some. My kids loved riding in it when it looked good! It is almost completely stock. I have done some audio upgrades and it has a glasspack muffler I put on 20 years ago that sounds good. I just need to make it look good. Still runs like it always did, and has about 130,000 on the odo.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on wheel/tire combinations to make it easier to find performance tires, and any source of interior pieces. Ebay has some things, but even the leather seat replacement options don't have the ribbed center sections that make the seats unique.

Scott
    Jamestown, NC

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Oh, and before I get roasted for asking about wheels, I have spent hours reading Wheel/Tire posts on this Forum. I love the replica wheels from some posts in 2005, but I don't think I can find those. Anyway, I am not modifying my suspension, staggering, wanting to change hubs or studs (if I can help it). The craziest I got with tires was going up to 235/60-14. Oh, I do have an issue with the rear end. My differential crapped out about 20 years ago, and the lazy asses at the Toyota dealer put a Cressida rear end from a 4 speed auto in it. Now the speedo is Way off, and it is slower than my minivan. They didn't bother to tell me that until I came close to getting pulled over several times on the highway, and I called them after setting the cruise at 60 mph and running a mile in about 48 seconds (marker to marker).
    Last edited by scnorman69; 06-27-2018 at 11:24 AM.

Nothing great in 15's these days for tires for us. Your best bet is a set of 16's in a style you like, wether it be mesh, panasport, or even modern, and then figuring out a budget and rolling with it.

For P types, 16x8 0 offset wheels, with a 20mm spacer in the back seems to be the way to go for most folks buying budget wheels.

https://www.nlmotoring.com/4x114-3-W...age=1&f-0=1021

Lots of guys in NC area though, should be able to find some used ones easy enough. Post some dang ole pics of the car already :P
    Hidden Content 86 parts car maybe some day race car? 3x cars, 36x brake caliper pistons.
    "You need to update your signature Gamble" - Dave

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

There's probably plenty of differentials kicking around, people parting these cars out, but most will need rebuilt. There's threads on here listing the parts and some of the pitfalls to avoid. Its not generally a DIY job but if you find a local 4x4 shop that does Toyota truck diffs, they should be able to take care of you. A speedometer shop can also test the car on a dyno to figure the calibration and install a tiny reduction gear if you stay with a non-original ratio and/or tire size.

I too stocked up on NOS trim parts back in the 90s and early 2000s, plus I bought a few wrecked Supras (back when there were still some in decent shape) and parted them out, keeping the best bits for myself. I'm so glad I did now. Tho my Supra never sat outside a day in its life, it has suffered greatly here in Texas just from the heat in the steel building where it has been stored the last 16 years.

If your dash is intact, then it can be preserved. SEM Vinyl Prep will clean and somewhat soften the vinyl and then you can respray it the appropriate matching SEM colorcoat and that will sort of seal it. But that oily residue that's come out of it already means that its now much more brittle than it was before and you need to be very careful with it from now on because you don't want it to crack. I've got a friend who makes his living doing vinyl and leather repair for used car dealers and body shops. He's told me that while vinyl in a fairly late model car with accident damage can be repaired and last a few years, the filler chemistry just won't make a strong enough bond with 30+ year old vinyl that's been sun damaged.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

Good to hear you were able to keep the car through the unpleasantness.

Agree with gamble, but I could only find one tire I considered suitable for street use.

Running 16x8, 0 offset with 245/45-16 Toyo Proxes, and they clear.

My dash just started the 'weeping act' after being outside for 6 months at my son's place before I had it shipped here. It wiped off easily enough, but a split developed in it while it sat, so I might just buy one of those covers for it.
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

I like the look of those wheels. That may be a good option. If i don't get moving on the restoration, my wife will pressure me to sell it. I am too embarrassed of the condition to be happy about posting pics, but I guess I need to soon.

I did find a local company that does interior repair. I may see what they can do to preserve it. no cracks yet. The rear gear is way down on the list, but definitely on the list. Thank you for the reply.

Forgot to say I have the XXR531 rims. I drove up to Next Level Motoring to pick them up, as it was a LOT cheaper than getting them shipped.

Most of my "soft parts" in the interior need to be refinished. The tops of my door panels/door cards have split and cracked vinyl, along with the panels on each side of the rear seats.

Don't worry about posting pix of your car in the condition it's in now. After owning mine for almost 4 years, I *finally* got around to scrubbing the color back into the paint and detailing what I can on her.

She's gone from being a "50 footer" to being a "10 footer". I'm working my rear end off to get her to be a "5 footer", and making progress slowly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

BF Goodrich Radial TA still makes 225 60 14 r rating

I have the BF Goodrich Radial TA on it now, but not happy with the speed rating, plus it has been sitting so long, that the tires have flat spots and the car feels like i am driving on a railroad bed. They may smooth out with more road time, but i haven't put more than 100 miles a year on it in the last decade. i just start it once in a while and drive a few miles to keep the engine in good shape. I used to run Eagle GTs all the time. Sucked in the rain though!

Thread Information