My terrible day.. car struck by big rig while parked. Plz help find parts
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member Suprabee's Avatar

My terrible day.. car struck by big rig while parked.

Howdy folks,

I'm still in shock and dismay.

If anyone in the bay area (or elsewhere) has, or sees, or knows of where I can source a rust free good condition hatch or anything else you might see damaged in the photos Please PM me or email me at my forum name at gmail.com

I will be attempting to gather up parts eventually, but this is so new its gonna take a while until i have in idea of what money I'll get to repair... I will post in the wanted section as well.

Yesterday, my supra was struck by a big rig hauling black top while parked and car covered (bright blue car cover) in front of my residence. The truck pushed my car 60 ft. down the street and up onto a small wooding retaining wall in my neighbors yard. Driver said he did not see my car. I was not home at the time, and my landlady called me while I was at work, saying my car was in the neighbors yard and was hit. I knew exactly what had happened.

The "city" ie.. Public Works Dept. opened up an "emergency use only" gate at the end of my road to allow construction trucks to come through to deliver black top to a paving project on the other side of the gate. I live just a few houses from the "end" of the road, and the road is very narrow and not even wide enough for a proper two lanes. Yet it seems (I assume this at this point) that it was decided to allows these trucks through most likely to make their drop off and reloading quicker, thus saving the city money, instead of routing them on a longer and not as direct route. The Neighborhood is very upset that these trucks came through here for 2 days, often 3-4 trucks back to back and driving at at crazy speeds. Luckily, no one was killed or hurt, as many people walk, ride bikes, run, often with pets and or kids in tow down our street. There are no sidewalks on this part of the street, so people HAVE to walk in the road for about a 1/4 mile which is the section I live on, and where my car was parked and hit.

The paving job is now down, and my car is wrecked. Many neighbors came out to bear my sorrow, as many know me and my supras and how I take care of them, and am always outside working on one or the other. Many folks took photos of my car, and said they were also going to call the police and city to complain about the trucks, and what had happened. The city did post signs saying only that the gate at the end of the road would be opened to allow traffic to come though as the paving project was taking place. It made no mention of trucks hauling material all day for two days, nor did it recommend moving vehicles off the road. It only said, that the city understands this may be a inconvenience for people and they apologize for this.

Personally, I feel the city operated with negligence. I feel at this moment (although still with much emotion) that I should also take legal action against the city. I know..long shot, but I feel this is partly someones fault for considering and allowing this to take place, and not even notifying us that trucks would be down our road. IF I WOULD HAVE READ THAT ON THE SIGNS I WOULD HAVE MOVED MY CAR FROM THE STREET DURING THIS PERIOD.

I feel I have a good argument already...but I digress...

The paving company has already reached out to me (the owners, and they say..don't worry we'll take care of you...) it will of course take some time to figure out what is needed, and for me to put together my proposal to them. My hope is that they will pay me directly and not go through insurance. I'm hoping they will not want to have a chargeable accident on their records, as I think this may.. "may" hinder them getting future bids possibly, but will of course raise their insurance. That said, the homeowner who lost his retaining wall will also file a claim on his end. Neighbors are pissed, and I hope this will go quickly and without insurance of course.

I'm going to have to show the value of my car, and I know about finding comps, and getting out my records of what I've done to it, etc. etc.

I'd like to ask anyone whom might have saved photos or perhaps ebay listing photos or screen shots of recent comps similar to my car, if they would be kind to share those with me, so I can start to formulate evidence to show my car's value. Since we all know insurance will go with a blue book value. I think comps need to be no longer than 6-8 months, but not sure..probably over a year is not usable.

the good news is I was able to get the car down, without any more damage, and nothing was damaged underneath. Car starts and runs, and I drove it today, and feels like nothing happened. It looks to me like the hatch is not fixable, and I hope everything else can be straightened out. Damage was to the rear corner, a large buckle in the rear fender, front right corner damage to the skirt and fender flare from when the car first hit the wall, and the rocker panel on the pass side in pushed upwards from underneath, again when it hit the wall. Those two areas look fairly easy for a shop to repair. I won't know for certain about the major damage until I take it in, for a frame alignment check, and they look at it..

I have videos later in the day of trucks having to weave around other parked cars and cars driving. this is a total mistake to have trucks that size on this dead end narrow road. Someone is liable, the driver..yes... and I believe the Public Works Dept.

Police report will be completed in a week or so, blame is entirely the driver's fault. so its just a money game now.

This really hurts..

free screen capture software

how do you print screen

Last edited by Suprabee; 09-06-2018 at 10:44 PM. Reason: to correct distance truck pushed my car from 30ft to the correct 60 ft as indicated on the police report.
    86 P-type, 5-spd, SDR, Gray Leather, 161k
    92 MKIII Black, Auto, Shadow Gray Leather, 232K- daily driver

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Unfortunately they're going to total the car with frame damage. So you'll end up with salvage title and all that hassle. It looks like it pushed the corner in and buckled the corner. There's a mk2 at the Fresno pick and pull if you're up for the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMk2 View Post
    There's a mk2 at the Fresno pick and pull if you're up for the drive.
    yeah, but that MKII has been there since mid-May. Anyone been out too see it recently?

This guy has a flare;

https://modesto.craigslist.org/pts/d...645503092.html

I'm close to Modesto and could look if needed. I thought I saw someone was advertising a decent parts car in Grass valley somewhere.

Faith bumper in Santa Clara could definitely repair the front bumper and maybe the back one. The bumpers are honestly going to be the hardest to find. Have you considered buying the carbon hatch and painting it?

I've seen that exact crumple in the rear quarter a couple of times and scrapped both. I think the car must be designed to crumple there to absorb impact altho yours was more crushed than hit. That's probably $15,000 or more worth of damage at shop rates. It would probably be more economical to buy a mint, trailer queen than to repair. The only trouble is that mint, trailer queens only show up for sale in the USA at the rate of about one every other year. Another option would be to use yours as a parts car and transfer all the good bits over to a straight, rust-free shell after its been painted. That's probably $15,000 at shop rates too but the advantage would be an unrepaired Supra with no welds or putty. I helped one of our members here do that about 13 years ago. His 50K mile black 84 got rear-ended and we got a 160K mile blue Texas Toast 85 for $750, stripped it of all its parts, had the shell painted black and spent three months of evenings and weekends transferring all the running gear, trim and interior. The insurance adjuster came over to my shop and might have been impressed with I think I had five Supras here at that time, but Keith still had to hold out for several months and I think finally got $7,500 which wasn't too bad for the time but covered the paint job and a whole bunch of NEW stuff like gaskets and fluids that were replaced during the swap. You're Supra looks like it was really good shape before the accident. Have the insurance adjuster watch the recent episode of Wheeler Dealers from last fall. I think they sold that mk2 at the end of the episode for $12,500.
    Last edited by pdupler; 07-20-2018 at 12:01 PM.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

Quote Originally Posted by pdupler View Post
    I've seen that exact crumple in the rear quarter a couple of times and scrapped both. I think the car must be designed to crumple there to absorb impact altho yours was more crushed than hit.
    It is, the part behind the wheels is kept more solid so the gas tank doesn't get crushed. Its the opposite on newer cars because the gas tank is under the rear seats and everything behind the wheels is super soft.

There are some nice cars on CL for sale now, but they aren't giving them away either. There's some cheap parts car worthy Mk2s for sale, but they look pretty beat up. There's an L type for cheap that looks decent, but you'd only be able to get the hatch.

Wow what a shame. I was going through the pics thinking "this isn't so bad, it handled that well" until I saw the wrinkle in the quarter panel. It's all over man. Well at the very least, as was said, it needs to gop to a frame shop for measurements, but the damage could be hidden under the quarter panel skin itself also.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    -shirts, stickers, posters & more!-
    Hidden Content
    -more shirt styles, magnets, wallets, mugs and more!-

1985 P-type 5 speed
    6MGE
    10 years strong 4-20-08
    1984 L-type Auto - Bone stock & broken Hidden Content
    acquired 6/17

I do have a rear shock tower bar installed. Perhaps that also contributed to were the qrt panel crease it. I agree the car is probably meant to give a that location, but I'm hoping with the bar in there that it held the inner skin relatively in place.

the thought of a carbon fiber hatch came to my mind, I guess if I end up getting to a point of repair, and I don't source a new oem hatch, I could look at that option.. However, (I've no knowledge of carbon fiber) I was not aware that it could be painted successfully and with good results. If it can, then its def an option. next week it will go in for a frame check and I can discuss what might be involved. It pretty clear though, and I agree, insurance will total it, but I'm going to fight to hold onto it, and fix it if actually possible. I honestly don't want to buy another one, and swap stuff over. I'm 49 now, I don't have the time, or energy to rebuild another one, nor do I have the space to park one and do that kind of work, hense the reason it was on the road in the first place. Actually, I do have one parking spot off street, and that is usually where the SDR sits, but...for past 2 weeks I've been working on the 92. So, it could have been the 92 that got wrecked..which quite honestly, given a choice, I'm rather have the 92 wrecked.

the 86 SDR with the LG26 interior is what I've always wanted. I know every nut and bolt I've every loosened on that car. I'm so upset that they allowed these trucks down our road without give us warning.

Very unfortunate, and i feel your pain.
    This is why I park my cars on the grass when there is no more room in my driveway.
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Hey, this is fixable! I can tell from these photos how good of shape this thing is in and how much care you've put into it. I would fix or have it fixed if it were mine. Sorry Phill, your estimate is way high. Just take it to a good shop and see what they say. I've fixed cars with that exact dent, it comes from the rear frame rail bending. If you look in your hatch you probably have some distortion in the floor. But the good news is, this isn't that big of a deal for a bodyshop to repair. It is true most insurance companies will look at that damage and the age of the car and automatically try and write it off, but it doesn't mean it's that expensive orhard to fix. Get a shop to look it over and give you a quote. I fixed an ae86 with identical quarter panel damage once and stripped the thing down in the rear myself and brought it to a shop. They charged me $200 to rack it and make a single pull to put the rear frame rails back in place.

Also try PMing Jason Moorman...
    https://www.celicasupra.com/forums/s...mp-exhaust-etc

He's in San Diego and he recently met with tradgey too with his 85 SDR except the front end of his burned to the ground. He MAY still have the chassis.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Thread Information